Elbow Drop?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'll improve faster (and learn more) trying to be "robotic" than I would trying to copy some pro's loopy stroke because he's a pro - or just winging it and hoping to stumble onto the right one for me.

pj
chgo
Good for you. Glad you found your method.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent post. FYI, I just added a quote of your post to the improving your game resource page. Please let me know if you want it changed in any way.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks Dave! Some suggestions:

1. change the name to Dan White,
2. bigger font and bold with underline and circles around it,
3. a royalty check would be nice... :grin:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you have pendulum swing and you drop your elbow during the swing will the tip hit above or below where you are aiming on the cue ball? What causes scooping the cue ball? Thanks.

I think this is where you need a video camera to analyze your stroke. I've been putting a little left spin on my cue ball (with the Digicue device) but could not figure out where until I video taped it from behind. My shoulders were turning a slight amount to power the forward swing. Too much golf!!! The Digicue is a great device for working on your stroke. Billiards.com has the best price.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent post. FYI, I just added a quote of your post to the improving your game resource page. Please let me know if you want it changed in any way.

You're welcome. Number 1 is done. Sorry about that. 2 and 3 will require a little more effort and brilliance. :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dan, i'd hold out for "Maestro" or "Professor". ;) That was a good post, btw.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'll improve faster (and learn more) trying to be "robotic" than I would trying to copy some pro's loopy stroke because he's a pro - or just winging it and hoping to stumble onto the right one for me.

pj
chgo

I think some Pinoys with "loopy" strokes do pretty good.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The new crop of Pinoy greats no longer have that loopy stroke .
Dennis and Alex have short stroke.
Aranas, Chua and Ignacio do not have loopy stroke.
I read somewhere a few yrs. back that the long, loopy stroke was a by-product of where they played. Outdoor/semi-outdoor venues, SUPER humidity and slowwwww cloth meant they had to smoke it pretty good to get it around. Conditions and technique have really changed inthe Pinoy game.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Davis has mastered the elbow drop like no one else. He is the Jim Furyk of pool and a great guy!!

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re: elbow drop

Gifted players/athletes can and do learn poor fundamentals at a young age and go on to be phenoms at what they do. Keith McCready, Jim Furyk, among others are prime examples. However, most everyone will agree that fundamentally sound techniques should be used/taught to achieve your greatest potential. There will always be an exception to the rule but why be the exception?

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is missing from the anecdotes is that all of those players with wonky swings or strokes like Trevino, some bowler, etc. did nothing but play their sport for their entire lives. They had the time to perfect whatever method they used and made it work somehow. But even Michael Jordan said that the difference between the good players and the great ones is fundamentals, and that's among pro level players. How many Trevino's are out there who couldn't make it because they couldn't groove a bad swing?

Mere mortals who play pool as a serious hobby need all the help they can get. Using good fundamentals is important. The problem is nobody in pool can seem to agree on exactly what those fundamentals are so we say "whatever works for you." I think reality is somewhere in the middle. Players can have their own individual style but there must be certain fundamentals that every good player follows.

Seems like snooker players are in agreement on the fundamentals for the most part from what I can tell.

Trevino didn't have a bad swing. His swing had elements which were unorthodox, but some parts of his swing were better than virtually anybody out there, even to this day. That is why Trevino is one of the best ball strikers in history.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
What is missing from the anecdotes is that all of those players with wonky swings or strokes like Trevino, some bowler, etc. did nothing but play their sport for their entire lives. They had the time to perfect whatever method they used and made it work somehow. But even Michael Jordan said that the difference between the good players and the great ones is fundamentals, and that's among pro level players. How many Trevino's are out there who couldn't make it because they couldn't groove a bad swing?

Mere mortals who play pool as a serious hobby need all the help they can get. Using good fundamentals is important. The problem is nobody in pool can seem to agree on exactly what those fundamentals are so we say "whatever works for you." I think reality is somewhere in the middle. Players can have their own individual style but there must be certain fundamentals that every good player follows.

Seems like snooker players are in agreement on the fundamentals for the most part from what I can tell.

This is absolutely spot on. If you take golf as an example you will find a lot of guys who played back in Trevino's day with unorthodox swings and moves. Arnie and Jack are not exceptions to this. This is because back when there was less money in the game guys figured more things out for themselves and "dug it out of the dirt". As the money increased and the incentive to win and be consistent became more then guys started to adopt swing coaches and all types of other coaches to get an edge. The result? The guys on tour now all have much more orthodox swings that generally look very compact, powerful, and similar to one another.

I'm sure it was the same in Snooker, but I don't have as much knowledge there so I can't say. Pool would be the same way if there were more interest and therefore more instructors, more training formalization, etc.

Mike Davis

Silver Member
Thanks guys for mentioning me in a thread other than “the ugliest stroke in pool”. I usually place first or 2nd in those.
Several good points were made in this thread like the improved techniques of the new generation of Filipino players and how most snooker players look quite similar. That is happening slowly with pool as well since the competition has increased.
The original question was about the elbow drop and that has been discussed on here many times. I was at the super billiards expo a few years back and decided to pay attention for that one thing because it was such a hot topic on AZ at the time. Of the final 16 left in the pro event (those that cashed) 15 of them dropped their elbow. I know most instructors teach people not to but most top players do it. In my opinion it’s unnatural not to.

Mike Davis

Silver Member
To the point of what to teach players, the most important things are that they have a stroke that is straight and that their wrist is straight, not curled in. After that there’s a lot of different techniques that will work.
Here’s a link for Fedor Gorst vs Joshua Filler. 2 of the games top young players. Both with great technique. Fedor has a very pronounced elbow drop. Filler’s is much less pronounced on most shots but very noticeable on shots that he hits hard.
https://youtu.be/yQa1_P4PXfU