Revo pros & cons from someone who knows how to play

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's get real, Earl Strickland won world championships with a Cuetec. As long as the cue is straight and you like how it hits then it doesn't really matter. There is no such thing as a zero deflection cue either, every cue has deflection, just find a cue you like and get used to it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's get real, Earl Strickland won world championships with a Cuetec. As long as the cue is straight and you like how it hits then it doesn't really matter. There is no such thing as a zero deflection cue either, every cue has deflection, just find a cue you like and get used to it.

According to Earl, he HATED the Cuetec...but he STILL WON. How strong is THAT?

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member

Exactly right. In fact, some of the greatest players this game has ever seen - whose careers were still prime when low deflection shafts were invented, did NOT like or want to play with them.

Earl, Efren, Buddy to name a few. Three players with perhaps the best strokes this game has ever seen.

According to Earl, he HATED the Cuetec...but he STILL WON. How strong is THAT?

He really trashed on Cuetec out of bitterness for losing their sponsorship. He deserved to lose it, as his mental illness impaired his ability to be a good ambassador for pool and the Cuetec brand. That and he was exiting his prime years.

I believe the quote was "playing with Cuetec damn near destroyed my game" ...obviously this is BS, because he played some of the best pool we've ever seen played, with a Cuetec.

But, do note one thing. He played with a Cuetec, but the shaft was custom. He never played with a stock fiberglass coated POS Cuetec shaft. He had custom maple shafts to his liking made.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not know that, I had seen shafts he used that had the tru glide sst marking on them. Not sure if it was an actual Cuetec shaft however.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
He broke with a regular Cuetec shaft at one point from what I remember. But his playing shafts were custom made. Made to look like Cuetec. Decals are simple to replicate. Some people claimed they were sanded down. They were customs. Sanding down the fiberglass would destroy the shaft. And at best would just expose the garbage lumber they used underneath.

Players have done this for ages. Back in the day when Meucci had sponsored nearly every pro on the tour, there was significant variations in shafts from player to player. Call it customizing, or whatever - many of them did not play with stock, off the shelf, standard design Meucci shafts. To the point where you can't really call it a Meucci anymore. Lot of these players were used to more classic tapers and stiffer hitting cues. Cues made by some great cue makers. But they'll always play with whatever pays the bills, at least in appearance.

In the early 2000's I remember seeing several players, sponsored by various cue companies (not Predator) using Predator shafts. But these had the 314 removed (or they were partials). If you get close enough, you can see the pie lamination near the joint, also the ferrule length and taper is noticeably different if you have an eye for detail.

I can't say for certain if Earl never ever played with a fiberglass Cuetec shaft, but I never saw it in all those years he was sponsored and if I had to bet, I'd say he didn't unless it was at a Cuetec exhibition.

I heard some pros talking about this once at a tournament. From what I gathered, their sponsors didn't give a crap what shaft they played with so long as it did not have any kind of branding on it or anything that identifies it as another brand. All that mattered was that they played with a highly visible, off the shelf, main-line cue butt from that maker. Usually the flagship or most expensive model in a series.

Also, in most cases - these sponsorship are not that aggressively enforced. It's not like a major sports athlete who could violate a serious contractual agreement costing millions. Some of these guys get nothing more than some tournament entries paid for and some cues to sell in exchange for wearing a logo patch of that maker and using their cue.

The Cuetec sponsorship on the other hand, was the biggest one in pool. Not sure if anyone is paying more, but that was the one to get.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Let’s get real..you or I don’t have the natuaral god given ability of Earl Strickland so who cares what he plays with.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed Filler using a regular shaft last night. Did he switch from the Revo? Thought I remember him using one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mannylasker

Registered
In the 2017 Mosconi he used a Revo. I’d be interested in knowing why he changed back to wood.
ef7c338df6b1de1af8a55c4537c6e5cf.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He broke with a regular Cuetec shaft at one point from what I remember. But his playing shafts were custom made. Made to look like Cuetec. Decals are simple to replicate. Some people claimed they were sanded down. They were customs. Sanding down the fiberglass would destroy the shaft. And at best would just expose the garbage lumber they used underneath.

Players have done this for ages. Back in the day when Meucci had sponsored nearly every pro on the tour, there was significant variations in shafts from player to player. Call it customizing, or whatever - many of them did not play with stock, off the shelf, standard design Meucci shafts. To the point where you can't really call it a Meucci anymore. Lot of these players were used to more classic tapers and stiffer hitting cues. Cues made by some great cue makers. But they'll always play with whatever pays the bills, at least in appearance.

In the early 2000's I remember seeing several players, sponsored by various cue companies (not Predator) using Predator shafts. But these had the 314 removed (or they were partials). If you get close enough, you can see the pie lamination near the joint, also the ferrule length and taper is noticeably different if you have an eye for detail.

I can't say for certain if Earl never ever played with a fiberglass Cuetec shaft, but I never saw it in all those years he was sponsored and if I had to bet, I'd say he didn't unless it was at a Cuetec exhibition.

I heard some pros talking about this once at a tournament. From what I gathered, their sponsors didn't give a crap what shaft they played with so long as it did not have any kind of branding on it or anything that identifies it as another brand. All that mattered was that they played with a highly visible, off the shelf, main-line cue butt from that maker. Usually the flagship or most expensive model in a series.

Also, in most cases - these sponsorship are not that aggressively enforced. It's not like a major sports athlete who could violate a serious contractual agreement costing millions. Some of these guys get nothing more than some tournament entries paid for and some cues to sell in exchange for wearing a logo patch of that maker and using their cue.

The Cuetec sponsorship on the other hand, was the biggest one in pool. Not sure if anyone is paying more, but that was the one to get.
Earl's Cuetec had a ULTRA-long taper'd shaft and NO glass coating. Standard el-cheapo CT butt with a FAR from stock shaft. That shaft diameter parallel almost all the way to the joint. I think his current Gulyassy is same way.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously it depends on the player, and every player's different, but all I know is that since I got a sneaky pete with a Revo 12.9 and a Kamui Extra Soft tip, I've been able to put infinitely more English on the cue ball with less effort than with any stick or shaft I've ever had before. It may be all in the mind, but I can't argue with what I'm seeing. I played with a Schon for about 15 years before switching, and I'm not knocking the Schon, but the difference in feel is like night and day.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed Filler using a regular shaft last night. Did he switch from the Revo? Thought I remember him using one.

Joshua switched to Z3 last year. I guess I've noticed him playing with a wooden shaft at the last eurotour before the Mosconi Cup. It seems his game does not suffer after this switch if he was able to win the biggest title in December and WPS grand final last weekend. But does it really matter for those who plays this game just for fun? If you enjoy the game playing with Revo stick with it and have fun ...the same goes for any shaft. If you don't like the one you're using ok you may try something different what feels right but looking at those top players and thinking....should I continue?

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

He switched back, no idea why. I do see his wife is using a Revo, maybe she took it lol.

travislj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Spoke with him a couple days ago and he said he really likes the Revo, he has just been liking the Z more lately. Sounded like we may see him go back & forth in the future

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue shafts

A friend of mine is a very good local player. He has one of the well known mass produced cue with a standard maple shaft so I got one just like it. He is just a slightly better player than me. So I bought a Predator shaft for mine to even the gap between us. He remained slightly better, so I bought a Jacoby Edge shaft, then a OB shaft, and finally the Revo! He is still slightly better than me but I have closed the gap....slightly. Now my allocated fund for playing pool is almost depleted but I'm saving up the rumored replacement for carbon fiber shafts. He isn't aware that I'm reeling him in!