NYC Pool Scene, Kelly Wong passed away

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
It occurred to me not everyone is on Facebook, and some of you from the NYC pool scene may not be aware their friend Kelly Wong passed away. Kelly was a friend a mine, who would give his shirt off his back for you.

Here is a fundraiser, organized on the behalf of the widow to help out with the funeral costs (a fellow pool enthusiast).
https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-kelly039s-memory

Here is a video of him in local tournament play, hill-hill match in a Predator tour stop at CueBar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWXmN3FHuXQ

Last edited:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
R.I.P. Kelly. Super chill guy, nice player and dude had sweet taste in cues.

Always was pleasant to be around. He will be missed.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Heartbreaking news. Kelly and I were good friends, especially from the late 1990's until about 2005 at Corner Billiards in Manhattan. He and his wife Leslie, whom I also counted as a valued friend, were two of the loveliest people you'd ever want to meet. They lit up the poolroom whenever they were there.

The loss of a valued member weakens the New York City pool scene but we'll always remember Kelly for his good nature and congeniality. I'm pleased to have made a donation to the GoFundMe and hope others who knew him will follow suit.

Rest in peace, my friend.

With sadness and compassion, Stu Mattana

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
@sjm @danimal,
Thank you for your kind words, and Stu thank you for donating. Leslie and child are going through a hard time.

One of my first memories of Kelly was when he told me he's Irish from Harlem, played out of the poolhall on 146th and Broadway, above the Woolworth.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
As a friend, he put up with my tease. Every time he missed while playing money ball, I poke fun at him that he can't get better until he gets rid of his wrapless southwest and jump on the Revo bandwagon. :D

Sorry to hear the news.