Where to buy the Predator Arena Light

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Thank you! I’m not sure what I was doing wrong.....
1st post:
...forums.azbilliards.com/picture.php?albumid=2643&pictureid[/IMG]

2nd post:
[IMG]https://forums.azbilliards.com...

The parts in red were missing from your posts.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like they aren't fully out yet. Take a look at Littmen lights, I'm very happy with mine.

+1 for Littman. Perfectly uniform LED light pattern. I ordered one last fall, love it, easy install and beautifully built cabinentry.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice nice! Can I ask the length and width of the room you fit your table in?

As a proof of concept for watching three, 3D printers at once, I used 3 ps3 cameras with each camera at the front of each printer (placement as you'd expect). For the final stream, I joined all 3 with ffmpeg. It was just a proof of concept but I achieved my goal, which was 1 stream without distortion. I just thought I'd mention that general approach as it is an incredibly effective and cheap way of overhead mounting without distortion.

EDIT: There is also wireless SD cards.

Thanks. That's interesting about stitching the camera feeds together. More than I'm willing to take on now, especially since I'm super happy with the lens and how it makes the picture look.

PS, I have a 3D printer next to the pool table, ha ha.

My living room is 21' wide by 27' long. I have the table biased to one side, and turned 90 degrees so the table's length is in the 21' direction. The other side of the room is my "shop", but the gf has slowly taken it over...

Empty403

Registered
Some links would be ideal... I dont know the first thing about building a pool table light and its something I might do for my next house.

Made by Lucid Ballsports for Predator but it doesn't seem Predator has information on it on their website. This light is sleek looking and setting up a camera from above would be perfect. Seems light would be more concentrated on the perimeter, though. kinda sucks because I just placed an order for a Littman. I do like the fact the Littman uses parabolic diffusers.

https://lucidballsports.com/comingsoon/arena/
https://www.3cushioncues.com/Predator_Arena_Light/p2041797_20476072.aspx

Kdogster

Registered
Predator Arena lighting is now available to buy

Long time lurker, first time poster.....

Before the world got crazy I ordered a 9’ Diamond Paragon table due for delivery in June. No telling when it will actually get here but I’m pretty excited about it.

I’m looking at lights and want to get the new Predator Arena Light by Lucid but I can’t find out how or where to order one. I’m on my fourth email submission on the Lucid Ball website with no response. No phone number is given.

Does anyone know where I can get one or order one or have any better contact info?

I’m trying to post a picture of the rectangle light but it’s proving more difficult to learn than the Diamond system.....

I was searching the forums to see if anybody took the plunge to buy the Predator Arena lighting for at home use. It looks like this is the only thread, so I don't see much interest. Anyhow, I am considering replacing my Diamond coffin-style light with the Predator Arena in early next year. The lighting is now available for sale. https://lucidballsports.com/where-to-buy/

Yesterday, I had a long phone chat with the engineer, who designed the light. His name is Ira Lee and he's based out of New York (phone: 917-579-2974). He is a very nice guy and incredibly passionate about lighting as you might expect. He is also an avid pool player and fan of professional pool.

One thing I learned is how they came up with the perimeter rectangle light design. They built a test prototype light which had tiny LED lightbulbs installed into a grid of sockets all hand soldered on a board. I believe he said the board had 40K individual lights. The grid of lights was exactly the size of the playing table surface. They ran an algorithm to analyze the lighting and they could disable/enable individual lights to keep tuning the quality of the lighting. Lo and behold, the optimal lighting was just having the perimeter lights enabled and the interior lights disabled. That was a big shock to them.

Another thing I learned is that they consider the lighting to be a platform for many other things. They will be releasing carbon fiber arm attachments in the near future, so that you can hang things like a short-throw video projector for pool training software, cameras for streaming, and laser-based training devices. He said a multi-camera setup for streaming can provide views from multiple perspectives like behind the rack, around perimeter of table where players are walking and the overhead view w/o keystone distortions.

He said they will eventually be selling tournament-used lights with a discount of $200 off new price. But, the only tournament they have done was one in Vegas in early 2020 right before Covid shut things down. So, they are mainly selling lights to home players, and in particular, people who want to get set up for streaming tournaments.

If I spring for the light, I'll post back with my impressions. I may wait to find a tournament used one to save a few bucks.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This company has really good quality lights..Different sizes for all situations. The support is perfect. These guys do not over sell or push. 1st class Professionals. I bought the FiN
Lite-Systems.com

http://lite-systems.com

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ordered my light June 30 (8') and recently found out it had just left the port in China and I would get a tracking number as soon as it reached port. I believe exports from China are having a lot of difficulties (I didn't know my light was coming from China when I ordered it).
They may not be taking any more orders until things straighten out a little.
Here are 2 photos of the light which belongs to an acquaintance of mine.

Predator Light 1.jpg

Predator Light 2.jpg

Kdogster

Registered
These company has really good quality lights..Different sizes for all situations. The support is perfect. These guys do not over sell or push. 1st class Professionals. I bought the FiN
Lite-Systems.com

http://lite-systems.com
Good info GoldCrown. The price is right. I have played under these a couple times and liked them— excellent task lighting. I see they have a dimming capability with apple app similar to temperature control lighting on the Predator Arena system. I do like the ability to mount training devices and cameras on Predator system.

Kdogster

Registered
I ordered my light June 30 (8') and recently found out it had just left the port in China and I would get a tracking number as soon as it reached port. I believe exports from China are having a lot of difficulties (I didn't know my light was coming from China when I ordered it).
They may not be taking any more orders until things straighten out a little.
Here are 2 photos of the light which belongs to an acquaintance of mine.

View attachment 558605

View attachment 558606
Awesome setup there for pool and carom! The guy from Predator didn’t mention the shipping delays out of China, but I told him I was a few months away from buying. Hope you like the light, whenever it comes!

danielholliger

Good info GoldCrown. The price is right. I have played under these a couple times and liked them— excellent task lighting. I see they have a dimming capability with apple app similar to temperature control lighting on the Predator Arena system. I do like the ability to mount training devices and cameras on Predator system.
is this the same technology? lite systems and predator lights? look very similar.... lite systems is cheaper...

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any questions about Lite-Systems… call and leave a message. He will call back. The owner ( I think it’s John) is customer friendly. No pressure to buy or do anything. I liked working with him.

sang4201

I'm confused to the crazy costs of all of these lights. I don't see any difference in build or specs (lux, temp, dimmable, remote, etc...) to any of the linear lights available on the market. Most of them run $200-$300. Why are all of these (Predator or similar) $500-$1300? Is that the premium for the decal and sourcing or am I missing something?

It would also be great to get the opinion of current owners of the perimeter style pendant lights. All of the images I am seeing show very definite shadows below the rails and the table. The light shoots straight down and doesn't look to diffuse much.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I'm confused to the crazy costs of all of these lights. I don't see any difference in build or specs (lux, temp, dimmable, remote, etc...) to any of the linear lights available on the market. Most of them run $200-$300. Why are all of these (Predator or similar) $500-$1300? Is that the premium for the decal and sourcing or am I missing something?

It would also be great to get the opinion of current owners of the perimeter style pendant lights. All of the images I am seeing show very definite shadows below the rails and the table. The light shoots straight down and doesn't look to diffuse much.
Why do some people choose $300 ballsets when the local sporting goods store has sets selling $50? Quality parts and drivers cost more than than cheap and shoddy. Lucid offers three years support on the Predator Arena lights. You call Lucid, you get Ira Lee on the phone. You're not going to get a brush off telling you to get missing parts from some factory in China at first sign of trouble.

You are correct, the Predator Arena lights don't diffuse much. The light is focused on the table, which is why it's this style is choice for streaming. I don't consider myself an expert, it's easy to spot copies because they don't bother addressing light leaking through gaps and seams.

Lucid doesn't refer to these as just lights, as the focus is building the Predator Arena. Real time scoring, projectors for training, camera mounts that snap on like legos, and easy to use broadcast quality streaming options are some of the accessories that will be offered for this platform.