storing cue chalk

meopilite

Registered
I buy Masters cue chalk that comes in a 12 pack. Chances are, the 12 pack will last me a couple years.

Is storing the extra in a ZipLock baggie sufficient from protecting it from moisture?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
You can always dry chalk out in the oven. If you that concern you may want to consider vacuum seal chalk with a FoodSaver type machine.

I buy Masters cue chalk that comes in a 12 pack. Chances are, the 12 pack will last me a couple years.

Is storing the extra in a ZipLock baggie sufficient from protecting it from moisture?

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
At $4.95/doz you should do an experiment. Leave some in the box in a drawer and put some in a zip lock bag in the same drawer. See if one is better than another.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wouldn't sweat this. I bought some old pre-flag that hadn't been sealed up and it was fine. Put in a ziploc if you're unsure.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I got my table many moons ago, I bought a case of chalk- the more you spend, the more you save:embarrassed2:- must be 100+ pieces.

They have been sitting on a shelf for a decade+ and I cannot tell any difference from new at this point.

What makes you think it needs protection?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good help here.

I keep a ton of old preflag Masters in ziplock bag. Its old as the hills and no issues.

I have heard about putting in low temperature oven to dry it out, I have never done it but it has been done.

Ken

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Sound like a good idea, if you keep the Zip Lock in a Warm Dry Spot. I live in a dry climate, 6 weeks it monsoon season.

So we do not have humidity problems like say tip of Florida, etc. Where it's humid a all year.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Kamui chalk comes in a ziplock bag, so it cannot do any harm, I reckon.

But at $32.95 per cube, it may be just a gimmick, ya reckon?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I put mine in a ziploc

I did put mine in a ziploc when I bought a gross, never seemed to matter though.

Years ago I tried the oven dry thing on some master. It made the blue go on a little dryer, more like the green. No other changes. Then I found a cube that I had accidentally left on my open patio for months. South Louisiana, it had soaked up as much moisture as it could. I tried it. It played just fine but was kinda gummy.

The abrasive added to chalk is what makes it work. As long as you get a layer of abrasive between tip and cue ball, nothing else affects play.

Hu

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it's nasty, it screw up the Tip plugging the POTUS surpasses, that Grat the ball like for English. Causing Miscueing. IMHO.
yeah.
derp-food-muffin-banana-mango-gif-3550982

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't sweat this. I bought some old pre-flag that hadn't been sealed up and it was fine. Put in a ziploc if you're unsure.

Agreed! Don’t sweat this stuff, or as one of my bosses used to say, “Don’t get wrapped around the axle over this”. I have plenty of pre-flag Masters left over from the 80’s (a previous life) and it still works great with no special storage. The only problem is the wrap adhesive let’s go, so I’ll probably just slap masking tape around it and go.

d05fdbc378fb57945b4bbd5fe0e026b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: