Playing By Myself at Home

Seaspook

Has-Been
I put two eight ball racks up...one on each end...break both and shoot “ 8 ball”. You can use either cue ball for your shot. If you scratch...that cue ball stays down. I have also done double nine ball.

I am lucky to have a table in my condo high rise game room all to myself. Allows me to get out for a couple hours each day

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Straight pool or full rack rotation against the ghost.

I don't do drills

I keep saying I'm going to practice with my left, but it's annoying....lol

camaro69926

Registered
My son started playing online tournaments against the ghost. E-Sports Productions has a different tournament each night. They are pretty fun.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play by myself on a 9ft Diamond also.

Lately I've been nonstop just banking. 100s of bank shots a day. Nothing special though, just 1 rail banks.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever. NONE of that is as fun as my suggestion. Especially that last one....jeeeeziz.
:killingme:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If you're not in love with playing by yourself for months at a time- you really don't love the game.

Sell the table and move on.

I've played my entire life by myself for the most part and still love it as much today as day 1.

The best thing about a hobby is nobody is forcing you and you can quit immediately

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Reply to Jasonlaus:

I don't want to start another "where are my rails?" or "that's a Schmelke!" AZB cluster bomb but after reflecting on your comments that I really don't love the game because I'm bored playing by myself and that I should sell my table and move on," I feel that a reply is necessary.

A major part of the fun of pool for me and I suspect most others is the chance to be with others.

It is exciting to match skills and wits with other players, especially ones you admire, and if you happen to beat them, getting a feeling of pride, much greater than beating the ghost or completing drills in the basement.

Some of the people I like the best I have met in pool halls and I miss that chance right now.

Having my league teammates cheer me on in a close match or console me if I lose are missed in solo activities.

I like being on teams, I like visiting with ten or twenty friends on league night. I like looking at other people's cues and cases and seeing how they play and maybe picking up a new idea or technique.
Sometimes you can see a small thing you are doing wrong or could do better by watching others.

I like pool battles after Christmas dinner with family and friends.

Etc.Etc.

I also don't think it is appropriate or fair to call somebody out as not really loving the game of pool because they said they are bored playing by themselves after three months. I played by myself for most of my adult life while raising a family so I know that for me it is not as much fun and can often be boring.

And please don't suggest I sell my table and move on. I have had a life long love affair with pool that I want to continue; here's how I can tell:

1. Got a Brunswick Brentwood table when I was around 13 years old (1962).
2. Got a Brunswick Willie Hoppe cue when I was 15 (1964) and had it customized by A.E.Schmidt.
I still have that cue and had it restored some 25 years ago by Danny Tibbitts. Took it to league night a few months ago to show it to younger players who had never seen any cue like it.
3. Borrowed money from my mother to buy a ticket to the US Open when it was in St. Louis (1967).
4. Played for money at Grand-Olive Billiards while in high school and saw Minnesota Fats and Willie Mosconi play exhibitions during that time. Also met Tom Ferry there, who before his death was a frequent AZB poster and great player.
5. Played at Howard Paulina Billiards and the Golden Cue while in college in Chicago.
6. Bought a Gandy table in 1983 a few weeks after we moved into our first house that could fit a table.
7. Played on that table by myself or with kids until 1993-ish when I bought the Olhausen table I have now.
8. When my son left for college I joined the APA and have been on two APA teams since.
9. Joined an ACS league three years ago.
10. Went to Wisconsin in 2018 to watch my friend Jerry Briesath get inducted into the Wisconsin Billiards Hall of Fame.

I'll stop at 10. I love pool and have had a wonderful life with it -- most of it because of meeting and getting to know other people, not playing in my basement.

Maybe someday you and I can play together. I'll still have a table!

The end.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i plat the 14:1 almost exclusively at home alone

so far it frustrates me and makes me realize what a opoor player i am

my high run so far is 56 balls,but this was very unusual and lucky

it usually takes me 10 times to run 15 and breaking the rack is even more unusual

i seem to play scared of making long shots and my overall game is getting worse

however i am begiing to see some improvement with certain shots

overall it is a very hard game and i hate it,but i am running 20s more frequently

it has stripped me of any thoughts that i was a decent player

my table is now for sale

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play a lot of equal offense. It's a fun game to play solo because you keep score.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I keep saying I'm going to practice with my left, but it's annoying....lol

I started last night... Man is it tough. You wanna hit the reset button on learning the fundamentals...? Shooting with the other hand is the way to do it.

I even started cramping up in my cuing shoulder....lol

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the video, but still have one question: When does you point count end? At the end of the rack or when you miss?

Thanks in advance,

John

I watched the video, but still have one question: When does you point count end? At the end of the rack or when you miss?

Thanks in advance,

John

When you miss you’re done for that inning. Rack them up again and move to the next inning for a total of 10 innings. He happened to run all the balls so we missed the part about missing unfortunately.

At my skill level I find Fargo pretty demoralizing. You get a bad inning and you’re racking them all over again. It ultimately becomes a practice in breaking. According to his scoring skill levels I’m a low ‘C’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

When you miss you’re done for that inning. Rack them up again and move to the next inning for a total of 10 innings.

I watched the video and unless I misunderstood the inning ends with a miss or when you finish the rack. Max score of 30 for an inning would mean you play rotation for the entire rack.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been playing by myself at home for over three months and have actually gotten a little better I think but now I'm getting very bored.
Check out the $10,000 Billiard University (BU) Exam Challenge. It is excellent practice, and you can win some money. Also, if you film yourself and post videos online it will add a little pressure. I find this helps create a little motivation for me, and it is good to practice under pressure.

Good luck,
Dave

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the video and unless I misunderstood the inning ends with a miss or when you finish the rack. Max score of 30 for an inning would mean you play rotation for the entire rack.

That’s correct.