Looking For Names Of Left Handed Pro Players...

troi

more lucky than good...
Silver Member
Hi All,

I am a lefty and have always wanted to analyze the styles of left handed pro players.

One of the things I have been meaning to do for the longest time is look at a few left handed players on Accu-Stats, YouTube etc...

The only players that come to mind are Jack "Jersey Red" Breit and Art "Babe" Cranfield; And they aren't on any Accu-Stats video!

They say your memory is the first thing to go, and I am having the hardest time remembering some of the other left handed pro players.

Can anyone help me out?!

-T

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
Rodney Morris
Thomas Engert
Jeff De Luna
Yu Ram Cha

...those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi All,

I am a lefty and have always wanted to analyze the styles of left handed pro players.

One of the things I have been meaning to do for the longest time is look at a few left handed players on Accu-Stats, YouTube etc...

The only players that come to mind are Jack "Jersey Red" Breit and Art "Babe" Cranfield; And they aren't on any Accu-Stats video!

They say your memory is the first thing to go, and I am having the hardest time remembering some of the other left handed pro players.

Can anyone help me out?!

-T
Memory really is getting bad, apparently.

Steve Mizerak
Mike Sigel

Steve Cook
Robin Dodson
Belinda Bearden

Rodney Morris
Dennis Hatch

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member
No love for Scott Frost? I love the way lefties play. I do not know why but I think they all have much better strokes than we righties. Even my southpaw friends that suck look cool when playing.

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old and retired

Ed Kelly, 1970(or '69) Straight Pool World Champ. I do not rmember which year. I saw Ed run 489 without missing a ball or playing a safe. He was playing Dick Lane in Vegas for $100 a game race to 100 ///and ran 89 and out / then 4 > 100's in a row with no safetys. Dick said he's thru, then Jim Mataya jumped up and hit Dick with another 100 the next game!

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
Ive always loved watchin rodney play. if anyone I try to emulate his pattern play and stroke.

FYI sigel is only lefty when it comes to pool. He thought being right handed meant you
bridge with your right hand on the table so thats how he learned to shoot. Hes righty in every other aspect.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ed Kelly, 1970(or '69) Straight Pool World Champ. I do not rmember which year. I saw Ed run 489 without missing a ball or playing a safe. He was playing Dick Lane in Vegas for $100 a game race to 100 ///and ran 89 and out / then 4 > 100's in a row with no safetys. Dick said he's thru, then Jim Mataya jumped up and hit Dick with another 100 the next game!

Is there a way of running 489 if u miss? :rolleyes:

troi

more lucky than good...
Silver Member
Thanks to all for the responses. I especially like the stories about Ed "Champagne" Kelly and Sigel as I had not heard them before.

I'm having one of those "Damn, I shoulda known that!" moments!

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
Ive always loved watchin rodney play. if anyone I try to emulate his pattern play and stroke.

FYI sigel is only lefty when it comes to pool. He thought being right handed meant you
bridge with your right hand on the table so thats how he learned to shoot. Hes righty in every other aspect.

My 3 year old is righty in everything he does but he naturally picked up a pool stick and started playing lefty.
I thought about Mike Sigel (one of my heros) and didnt change my kid :)

troi

more lucky than good...
Silver Member
My 3 year old is righty in everything he does but he naturally picked up a pool stick and started playing lefty.
I thought about Mike Sigel (one of my heros) and didnt change my kid :)

Nice! He'll be running racks in no time.

:p

blah blah

Shoebat
Probablility of being left handed is .11

If the probability of a person being left handed is .11, then in a room with 100 poolplayers, there should be 11 left- handed people, right? My friend got me on no less than 2 signed dollars at 2 different big tournaments on this bet. First she said that there would be more than 15% lefty's, and I bet there would be less (thinking that .11 plus another .4 would cover me easily.) Yes, we watched and counted- the tourney was out of our league. On the second signed dollar bet, different tourney, she even upped the %age to be more in my favor- something ridiculous, like 30%, but I forget exactly what. And yes, I lost again.

There are way more left handed poolplayers in any random sample than there ought to be- I don't know why. Maybe it's the creative thinking, I really really don't know. Maybe my best friend just cheats (a huge possibility). But I'm not betting her any more on this one- she can just kick rocks.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan is right-handed, but will run southpaw centuries just as easily. There are several videos on YouTube of him playing left-handed.

jensen_lover

Pro Playa'
Silver Member

How did he make a ball on the break everytime?

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
If the probability of a person being left handed is .11, then in a room with 100 poolplayers, there should be 11 left- handed people, right? My friend got me on no less than 2 signed dollars at 2 different big tournaments on this bet. First she said that there would be more than 15% lefty's, and I bet there would be less (thinking that .11 plus another .4 would cover me easily.) Yes, we watched and counted- the tourney was out of our league. On the second signed dollar bet, different tourney, she even upped the %age to be more in my favor- something ridiculous, like 30%, but I forget exactly what. And yes, I lost again.

There are way more left handed poolplayers in any random sample than there ought to be- I don't know why. Maybe it's the creative thinking, I really really don't know. Maybe my best friend just cheats (a huge possibility). But I'm not betting her any more on this one- she can just kick rocks.

Ive noticed that too. Why so many left handed pool players?

I remember when I first started playing; thinkin to myself "hey if i leave the cue ball here he cant reach the next shot but i can, two way shot. " Until i noticed just how many lefty players are out there.

HumdingerBarry

Registered
Lefty's

Weldon Rodgers AKA Junior Weldon from Arizona was left handed. He was a World beater and would walk in a Bar, pull a stick off the rack and play anyone right handed. After they quit He would offer to play them left handed with a real layed down bridge. LOL HumdingerBarry