Captaining my first ever APA team in first APA match...any advice?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Captaining my first ever APA team in first APA match...any advice? - Today, 05:55 PM

My advice ~ try to win!

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put up first. It gives you a big advantage at the end of the match. You put up first 1,3,5 but by the time match 4 rolls around you will be able to narrow down who they will play 5th by their numbers. Hope that makes sense. You are basically controlling matchups 2,4, and 5. You'd be surprised how many matches are decided by match 5.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Remember that it's supposed to be fun. You CAN take it seriously AND have fun. Some cannot manage both, and that's where the drama can happen.

I enjoy my league experience, I hope you do, too. Good luck!

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put up first.

I typically do just the opposite so that I get 3 chances to putb who i want against who they put up.

Though, there is occasion when I win the flip that I decide to put up first for one reason or another.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so none of the guys on my team have ever played apa, so if I'm correct, we will all be 4's. Now, i regularly play a guy (at my house) on another team who is a five. He has never beat me (on my table). I estimate i play 2 balls better than him... again on my table. Everyone else on my team is probably a 4 if i am judging by how they play at my house.

I say all this to emphasize that i have no idea about strategy as far as match -up goes. Any advice as far as strongest to weakest players and when to play them

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
talk to the team members and get feedback. Both on players on the other teams, and what they want out of the experience.

Drop a group text the morning of match letting them know where and who you're playing.

Be open to input from others who might have more experience - even on other teams.

Be a gracious winner - don't let the losses bother you.

Be dependable.

If you have tools (tip pics, scuffers, etc.) - offer to share.

Pick up a red-dot for your home table.

Enjoy yourself.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like people said, have fun. Don't be overbearing with the time out calling...it's ok to let people make their own decisions and learn from mistakes.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Ok, so none of the guys on my team habe ever played apa, so if I'm correct, we will all be 4's. Now, i regularly play a guy (at my house) on another team who is a five. He has never beat me (on my table). I estimate i play 2 balls better than him... again on my table. Everyone else on my team is probably a 4 if i am judging by how they play at my house.

I say all this to emphasize that i have no idea about strategy as fast as up goes. Any advice as far as strongest to weakest players and when to play them

To really answer that would go into all sorts of depths of discussion and debate :p

My philosophy is to try and match up as evenly as possible while working within the 23- rule restrictions. At least during the regular season, playoffs are a whole other discussion. My feeling is that we're there for fun and for competition.

There are many who really dig into the strategy, and will "throw off", playing lower Skill players against the higher skill players on the other team. I'm not a fan of this for two reasons.....first, no "good" player wants to beat the brains in of a beginner, and have to win 6 or 7 games against someone who is a beginner. Second, and more important to me, is it's no fun for a beginner to have to absorb those beatings. Where is the fun in shooting once or twice, against someone you have no chance against, in order to make the captains strategy of throwing off work? How are they gonna learn, and how are they gonna have any fun and want to keep playing....

This is a debate that I'll never win, and I expect a lot of push back following this post. It's how I feel.

You will see lots of different strategies as you go forward. No real way to tell you all of them, best to do what you think is best, and run with it. Good luck!

CCCue

Registered
Put up first. It gives you a big advantage at the end of the match. You put up first 1,3,5 but by the time match 4 rolls around you will be able to narrow down who they will play 5th by their numbers. Hope that makes sense. You are basically controlling matchups 2,4, and 5. You'd be surprised how many matches are decided by match 5.

Help me understand. It would seem by making them put up first you control 1 3 and 5.

Doing the way you described you have to guess who they will put up against your player.

Not saying you’re wrong, just don’t get it.

CCCue

Registered
Get to know your players strengths and play to them.

If a player is in the zone and playing well leave them alone and don’t scream timeout when they are confidently setting up for next shot.

Coach them to their strength and game not yours.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Get to know your players strengths and play to them.

If a player is in the zone and playing well leave them alone and don’t scream timeout when they are confidently setting up for next shot.

Coach them to their strength and game not yours.

^^^ this. :thumbup:

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Help me understand. It would seem by making them put up first you control 1 3 and 5.

Doing the way you described you have to guess who they will put up against your player.

Not saying you’re wrong, just don’t get it.

There is a number limit on the amount of handicap you can use in a given night. I don't play apa anymore but if I recall correctly the limit is 21...... so if you put up first I will give you an example.
Match 1: You put up a 4 and they match with a 4
Match 2: They put up a 5 you match with a 5
Match 3 you put up a 3 and they put up a 3
Match 4 they put up a 6...... you know they have 3 points left to work with in set 5..... if they have a 3,5, and 6 left to possibly play guess who's going to be playing set 5??? (The only one who can play is the 3) Understand now? Also, if they throw a 6 in set 4 and you have a 2 and a 4 left but are already winning the match 2-1 it might be in your best interest to feed your 2 to the 6 and let your 4 play their 3....... (if their 6 is a true 6 they should handle your 2 or 4 fairly easily) Do you like your 4 playing the other teams 3 in match 5 or do you like your 2 playing their 3????
Ultimately you are controlling matches 2,4, and 5....... controlling match 5 is often time what makes your team a winner or loser for the night. Might sound crazy but it works. Won our trip to TAP Nationals with this strategy and it makes your team a winner more often than not.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If this is your first match, I suggest you relax and enjoy. When I was co-captain, the other team captains helped me with scoring and how to collect and assess money.

Matching up even is a common APA strategy. If you're looking to be more competitive and win that trip to APA Nationals, check out "How to be a winning APA Captain"

Additional
If you play in different rooms, invest in a moosehead bridge, bring extra chalk, and pen & correction tape for the scoresheet. YMMV, some leagues offer bonus points for correctly filling the scoresheets and submitting on time.
If you have bad eyes like mine, a lighted pocket magnifier goes a long way in a dimly lit room.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several have given you good advice. I do have a few things to add though.

Since your whole team is new to apa from what I understand you all will start out as 4's . Ladies....if you have any will start as 3's. With 5-4's playing you will have no problem meeting the 23 handicap limit. Now dont be alarmed if several are raised after the first week. The handicaps can fluctuate wildly the first few weeks.

You stated most of them have played at your house so you have an idea how they play. put your strongest again their strongest if you can each round. 2 reasons for that . The first is obvious . Your strongest has a better chance of beating their strongest. The second reason is if you put your strongest against their weakest he is definitely going up to a 5 the next week and you don't want that. Some people may take what I just typed the wrong way so let mw clarify. Just because your best player starts as a 4 and beats the crap out of an established 3 does not mean your player is capable of playing even with established 5's which is where he will wind up after beating their worst player. Sure he will go back down eventually of he is not really a s/l 5 but in the meantime it messes up your team handicap ..

A.couple mentioned coaching. All 4's and above are allowed one time out per rack. As a rule I never call time outs during regular session...only during playoffs or higher when its time to get serious. 2 things you need to be aware of is you do decide to call time outs. .number 1 rule... Use them wisely. 2. Learn how your players handle time outs ....some hate to have a time out called for all kinds of reasons.

Use your first session as a learning experience and dont ne afraid to ask the opposing captain for advice. Most are very helpful and accommodating to new teams.

You will however run into the occasional asshat that will complain about one of your players being a 4 regardless if he is new to apa. Don't worry about it.

And above all ...like others said ...just have fun .