Sealing between cuts

Ed P

Registered
Hello all.

This may have come up before but I could not find it. When cutting down shafts and to prevent warping, is it better to seal the wood between cuts while letting them rest, or leave the wood natural? I have been using a sealer from Cue Components (Joe ) but seem to get some movement. Are there some sealers or products which may work better? I do cut small passes (.015 - .020) and give a month or more between passes. Sometimes several months depending on availability. Keep in mind, I do live in Florida. And I am not working out of a climate controled area.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks Ed.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m also in Florida. I do not seal in between cuts, I want the wood to move as it wants to. Helps to cull the bad shafts. Not every shaft you turn will end up being on a cue.

Everyone has their own methods. You have to find out yours.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be short it depends on your final goal... When it comes to me I want to face all the "surprises" the wood stores while I'm working on a cue so after the product is finished and in customer's hands he does not...

Gienko

I don’t seal any wood in between cuts unless I’m worried about it splitting. Also if you’re not monitoring and controlling the temperature and humidity in your shop, a perfect shaft will have a much higher likelihood of warping once it leaves your shop because it will reacclimate to its new and probably very different environment.

Ed P

Registered
Thanks everyone for your input. Gives my something to think about. I will stop sealing the wood and see how it works out.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Hello all.

This may have come up before but I could not find it. When cutting down shafts and to prevent warping, is it better to seal the wood between cuts while letting them rest, or leave the wood natural? I have been using a sealer from Cue Components (Joe ) but seem to get some movement. Are there some sealers or products which may work better? I do cut small passes (.015 - .020) and give a month or more between passes. Sometimes several months depending on availability. Keep in mind, I do live in Florida. And I am not working out of a climate controled area.

Thanks Ed.

I don't buy into the "cut .010 every 6 months"............. I think that is total bullshit......... I buy good shaft cones and hang them a couple weeks....... turn them to about .600 at the tip......... hang them until I need them...could be a week could be 6 months..... cut them to size and finish them........ in 10 years... I have had only one I needed to replace because it warped..... most likely in the trunk of a car in the summer.......... I just made a new one and handed it to him............. I have never sealed anything .... ever .... until I finish it........... let it move if it is going to............

Kim

Ed P

Registered
Kim, thanks for your input. Based on what I have been told, looks like I will be saving time and money on wood sealer lol. I will see how it goes over the next several months as I continue to turn some shafts. And other wood for that matter.

Regards Ed

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don`t seal before the wood is close to finished size. One thing Joey brought up that I`ve noticed myself is how temperature and humidity affect how the wood cuts, warps or not, just like with finishing. In the extreme ends of the temperature scale it`s better to do something else than finish cues I`ve found.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all.

Thanks Ed.

To me, it seems logical that sealing a shaft will seal moisture in as well as out. I'm with the school of thought of letting it move as much as it will in between cuts. IMO it is not worth handling the harsh chemicals for what I see as little gain.

I also don't believe you need more than a week between passes.

Others are set in their ways and will tell you that is wrong. I'm not going to waste my time arguing this.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
To be short it depends on your final goal... When it comes to me I want to face all the "surprises" the wood stores while I'm working on a cue so after the product is finished and in customer's hands he does not...
That went unnoticed .
And probably misunderstood.

Ed P

Registered
CuesRus 1973,
Thanks for the reply. It seems the favor is definitely in not sealing. Going to definitely try this and see how it works.

Thanks to everyone else for your input as well. Much appreciated.

Regards Ed Petersen.