How Would You Play This Layout?

9intheside

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is another consideration "pj" (pool joker) ;), and it may be the one I'd choose against a top level player. The bank is a good, aggressive choice, it just depends on your skill level and the odds of getting shape. As a rule, I won't shoot a 70% shot with a 70% chance of getting shape on the next ball.

This would create a success rate of under 50%, which is not prudent in a critical position (let's say a Hill/Hill game). The chances of leaving a tough shot if the bank is missed is very slim. It would almost be a "due or die" scenario.

Thinning the right side of the 6 Ball is risky, and I may not want to risk leaving a dead combination, or an easy safety retaliation from my opponent (he may be able to slow roll the 6 Ball past the 8 and really lock me up, frozen on the 8 Ball).

Line up the center cue ball to the left edge of the object ball, then pivot two TIPs to the left (using your back hand)......then play the object ball to the diamond between the side and corner pocket with speed to land the object ball on the opposite end rail

When you do this it will kick the 8 Ball into the 7 Ball and hopefully to the end rail opposite the 6 Ball. This leaves a much more difficult shot for your opponent.

This may seem advanced, however, I would start out in this position and play anyone in the world as long as they would bet on it.

I like this it is very creative, I will try it out tonight.

BumpnRun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'd have to kick me in the nut sac and steal my cue to stop me from taking that bank.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Like I said in my earlier post, the only safe that could be called good and snookered the other guy was really thin of the 6, clipping the 6 towards the 8 and going around table to land beneath the 8. Even if you get BIH the 6 is tied up and another safe wouldn't be as easy as the one you just performed even with BIH. The bank is the shot to go for if you can run the rest out. But if you can't all you are doing is leaving less balls on the table to play safe behind.

I agree Pidge, but I was thinking of a slightly different safety. I'd probably go soft, and use a bit of right spin here...... just to make sure I don't miss the ball entirely.

If one had to shoot from the circled zone, there would much lower possibility of a "slow roll up" type of return safe, which CJ mentioned earlier. (From the other corner, upper left....the 7 ball could also help the return safe.) I'm thinking, unless I leave the balls dead somehow.....who would want to shoot from there? Its a long combo or a long carom, maybe a long bank shot. With my luck, someone would go for the bank, and clip the 9 in instead.

ONB2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: