RIP Jointed Cue

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just NAIL a 3/4 plywood to the floor and call it a day?
$0.25 for the nails
$2.50 for the plywood.
$1.00 for any paint.

$2.50 for plywood?

You're on the right track at least. Go to home despot and buy the .99 cents per square foot floating hardwood floor.

Surely there is a player who would install it for some free games, if I were local, it would already be done.

Does this concept beg a simple question of why not? Is there something else to the story?

Jay has the best line, send him to an ADA approved prison.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I doubt violations have any grandfather status. People have business setbacks all the time, lose leases and so on. Nothing is forever or promised to you. Maybe they should just bite the bullet and fix the place. In fact if it is in fact still a viable business that is what they will do.

If I lived in the area I would be very interested in buying the place and fix it. The owner would have to be an idiot to just walk away.

You seem to have some inside info on this place.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Until the law is changed what can he do? Either way it's a closed up business

He can shut down, NOT BECAUSE ANY DISABLED (or not) CUSTOMERS OBJECTED, but because a trouble-making asshole made trouble simply so he could make money from using the govt's power as his own. He protected NO ONE ELSE and neither did the "law."

It's a pattern.

Jeff Livingston

PS It's just a pool hall and I don't play pool, so......:mad:

middleofnowhere

Registered
The way you defend this douche Scott Johnson, a known serial filer, one might think your name is...

Scott Johnson?

Im not defending him at all, he sounds like a real *****. Having said that, the owner is the one who chose to not come into compliance. He was just never caught. While a guy ratting him out is pretty rotten, thad does not change the basic facts, the violations exist. In fact, he has always been just one disgruntled customer away from this happening.

Most cities and counties a very underfunded. Code enforcement rarely go out trouble shooting they mostly only respond to a complaint. Once there is a complaint they have to respond.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Why not just NAIL a 3/4 plywood to the floor and call it a day?
$0.25 for the nails
$2.50 for the plywood.
$1.00 for any paint.

Not quite that easy. Would require a permit and maybe ever an engineer to design it. Would have to meet grade requirements often needing to have transitions in more then one direction.

Then you have the problem of public right of way you can't block. Sometimes even requiring you adding a new entrance to accommodate it. You don't really want to construct it yourself because of liability since this is a public building. Someone falling over it and suing you may be worse then doing the renovations.

For those who have never been in business welcome to the world of legal B.S. you have to put up with code enforcement and everything else being in business in almost every city.

Case in point, the Duck boat rides that the new owners only bought a few months ago and now have a 100 million dollar law suit they can no way win because the boats old owners had many violations they had been warned about only last year. This company also owns a number of these types of rides around the country I am sure is now going to go out of business.

Not to mention almost every other company in the same business with the Duck boats around the country that will now come under the microscope. In my town the city commission has already talked about not renewing their permits next year.
In other words, you went to bed with a nice business and woke up out of business with boats you can't even sell.

Another example, the guy building the Bumpstocks. That was a lot bigger business then people knew, even though few have ever even heard to it. He employees quite a few people and has a high-tech shop that on first look may be a half million dollar investment. It is amazing in business how your life can change over night through no fault of your own.

The guy with the pool room is just a small example, this kind of stuff happens all the time in business. You just have to roll with the punches.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Well you have to know all of the particulars of the regulation. I had read that you can be out of compliance if you are off a tenth of an inch with counter height.

If you have all of that sorted out then Joe Pool and Home Depot sounds like a good plan.

$2.50 for plywood?

You're on the right track at least. Go to home despot and buy the .99 cents per square foot floating hardwood floor.

Surely there is a player who would install it for some free games, if I were local, it would already be done.

Does this concept beg a simple question of why not? Is there something else to the story?

Jay has the best line, send him to an ADA approved prison.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Or the owner was not aware of all of the regulations.

He does have a handicapped stall in the parking lot, when that was done maybe he thought that covered it.

Im not defending him at all, he sounds like a real *****. Having said that, the owner is the one who chose to not come into compliance. He was just never caught. While a guy ratting him out is pretty rotten, thad does not change the basic facts, the violations exist. In fact, he has always been just one disgruntled customer away from this happening.

Most cities and counties a very underfunded. Code enforcement rarely go out trouble shooting they mostly only respond to a complaint. Once there is a complaint they have to respond.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not quite that easy. Would require a permit and maybe ever an engineer to design it. Would have to meet grade requirements often needing to have transitions in more then one direction.

For those who have never been in business welcome to the world of legal B.S. you have to put up with code enforcement and everything else being in business in almost every city.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't need permits to install floor coverings, carpet or wood. No Engineer is required either. I will admit, I could be wrong, we are talking about Crapifornia.

In order to do the job right, you would need to remove the toilet and that would require a plumbing permit.

Bottom line is the fact that it's not too difficult, it begs the question, is there another reason? Perhaps you're on the other reasons, Government, taxes and fees, my bet is somewhere along these lines.

blah blah

Shoebat
The Jointed Cue has been my home and family more than any other since I was a teen. Our whole community is grieving, and going through all of the stages of anger, sadness, bargaining... It really feels like losing your whole family at once because so many of us would never run into each other during a normal day, and because many of the older folks just can't make it out regularly to the other rooms in town because they're at least a 25 minute drive further away.

That said, I agree with Chuck Fields in each of his posts. When Mike and Don Murphy bought the JC from the Stoniers, they knew of the compliance issues. When they entered into the standard commercial lease agreement that states tenant will repair, they understood what they were signing. However, the Murphy family may have other internal issues, and neither seems interested in putting any more time, money, or effort into the JC- they seem to just want to wash their hands and move on. They also seem to be shocked at the community response- as though their personal and private business decision was made in a vacuum, and no one else should be too concerned.

Moving forward, someone needs to buy the JC business, with it's equipment, distributors, and goodwill, before the tables are all sold individually to whoever gets to the Murphys first- theres already a long line of people who want a JC table in their homes. I included distributors there because there's nothing like a JC breakfast. I know everyone brags about the famous cheeseburgers and taco Tuesdays, but their breakfast was the big secret draw.

To keep it in the same location, the first suit dies with owner transfer- but we all know it will be renewed if the place isn't made compliant. The new owner will have to do a lot of work to that building. It may be cheaper and more profitable long-term to move to a nearby, compliant location (the Squeeze Inn moved when they were sued, and it's a much nicer place, with many new locations since they were originally sued).

blah blah

Shoebat
My post may have sounded cold and calculating. I'm leaving it because the situation is much like 9ball: someone hooked you bad and it seems like there's no way to win. But there's always a way- you don't just give up, you suck it up and get smarter and stronger.

The Only thing that keeps me from curling up and dying inside is the hope that an investor- or several- will see the incredible current discounted value and the potential highly profitable future of the JC, and buy it and reopen it.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Then you have the problem of public right of way you can't block. Sometimes even requiring you adding a new entrance to accommodate it. You don't really want to construct it yourself because of liability since this is a public building. Someone falling over it and suing you may be worse then doing the renovations.

Case in point, the Duck boat rides that the new owners only bought a few months ago and now have a 100 million dollar law suit they can no way win because the boats old owners had many violations they had been warned about only last year. This company also owns a number of these types of rides around the country I am sure is now going to go out of business.

Not to mention almost every other company in the same business with the Duck boats around the country that will now come under the microscope. In my town the city commission has already talked about not renewing their permits next year.
In other words, you went to bed with a nice business and woke up out of business with boats you can't even sell.

Another example, the guy building the Bumpstocks. That was a lot bigger business then people knew, even though few have ever even heard to it. He employees quite a few people and has a high-tech shop that on first look may be a half million dollar investment. It is amazing in business how your life can change over night through no fault of your own.

The guy with the pool room is just a small example, this kind of stuff happens all the time in business. You just have to roll with the punches.

You need to check your premises.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My post may have sounded cold and calculating. I'm leaving it because the situation is much like 9ball: someone hooked you bad and it seems like there's no way to win. But there's always a way- you don't just give up, you suck it up and get smarter and stronger.

The Only thing that keeps me from curling up and dying inside is the hope that an investor- or several- will see the incredible current discounted value and the potential highly profitable future of the JC, and buy it and reopen it.

Don't hold your breath. Ain't no room for the little guys anymore.

blah blah

Shoebat
I think we can all agree that Scott Johnson is a terrible, and likely very unhappy, person. We know rather a lot about him personally, and that he has a team of attorneys and paralegals trained in his methods. He also has a lot of haters, from restaurant owners to news reporters to elected officials.

In the last 6 days I've heard way too many local threats and suggestions of attacking Mr. Johnson physically. It's not helpful. And it's not even the problem. The problem is the current owners want out as quickly and easily as possible, and there isn't much time. Again, it does make for an opportunity for someone (or several someones) who understands the value of the business goodwill for what has actually been a very successful business- both recently, and historically.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coupla thoughts/questions:

1. California tends to be over the top legally on many things. Is there something about California's ADA law that differs from the rest of the country? In other words did CA write their own laws that make ADA compliance more strict?

2. If you want to sue somebody you have to have standing. If you aren't affected by whatever you are suing over then the case will be thrown out. I think this is what people are reacting to by calling this Scott guy a POS. He doesn't have standing as indicated by his serial suing practice. Is it only CA that doesn't understand this?

3. You do not need a permit to have a plumber replace a toilet even if it is being raised up a little.

4. Jay wants to send him to an ADA compliant prison. God help the prison if is isn't ADA compliant!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Coupla thoughts/questions:

1. California tends to be over the top legally on many things. Is there something about California's ADA law that differs from the rest of the country? In other words did CA write their own laws that make ADA compliance more strict?

2. If you want to sue somebody you have to have standing. If you aren't affected by whatever you are suing over then the case will be thrown out. I think this is what people are reacting to by calling this Scott guy a POS. He doesn't have standing as indicated by his serial suing practice. Is it only CA that doesn't understand this?

1. I think California has a state law that permits individuals to file suit against businesses with ADA violations. Maybe it was well intentioned to get more businesses to comply or maybe it was just a favor to lawyers. I think the law is broken.

2. I thought I saw that the "team" has handicapped members maybe including Scott. That would give them standing.