Has Anyone Ever...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly what you're after but I have seen five or six groups of people rent a space that can accommodate three tables or so and each member contributes to the rent. The ones I've seen have been in industrial areas so low rent and relatively low ambiance unless the members get ambitious about decorating.

The micro-club has the advantage of making opponents available. Which is OK as long as they're not disease-ridden.:eek:

I've thought about that too but I don't want to get involved with depending on others making their monthly rent payment.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of our customers who loves snooker, got a good deal on a used 12 foot snooker table, and rented a storage unit to set up his table for play. He got the permission of the storage unit manager to install special lighting for the table and to be able to come and go as he pleases anytime of the day or night. He has a couple other members of his snooker club that split the storage unit unit rental fee with him. Seems to be working out good for him, since he didn’t have room for a table at his own dwelling.

I've thought about that one.

But I was always concerned about ac and heat. I know many advertise "climate controlled" but wasn't sure you could control things enough to be comfortable playing.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...rented space somewhere solely for a 9' pool table?

We actually have space. Our living room is huge and Gail has often offered to turn it into my pool room but I do not have the heart. Girls like their living rooms.

So I'm just wondering, as this virus tings spins out, has anyone ever rented a space somewhere just to house and play on their pool table?

Lou Figueroa[/QUOT

I had a 9' GC in a shared space while I was having my house built in 2007, I paid $300 a month.

I sold the house last July, kept the GC. I worked a deal to set it up in a space for $450 a month until December.

You might have to set it up in a less than desirable area, but at least you wont have to sit in the house for 8 months.

Very nice.

I would happily pay $3-$400 a month for a decent space.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some high-rise senior living centers that house thousands of residents have acres of garages. Many are vacant and can be rented very reasonably if you know who to contact.

That's an interesting idea.

But once agin, what about ac and heating?

Lou Figueroa

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I once rented a two car garage behind an apartment complex solely for the purpose of putting a pool table in it. I carpeted the garage, hung a large florescent light fixture and brought in a Gold Crown table. I would invite friends to my "poolroom" in Santa Monica all the time for the next two years. We would usually play at night and close the garage door so as not to bother the tenants. Often when the door was open I would see them peering out the window at these weird people playing pool in a garage.

I paid $200 a month for that garage in the 1990's, and Mike Shamos sought to give me props for doing it in his book Shooting Pool. At the time I lived in an apartment in Venice about ten minutes away from my "poolroom." :cool:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Know a guy who lives on the intercostal in an old normal size 3/2 with an old dock. His next door neighbor was selling his also old style 4/3 house with more sea wall and a beautiful brand new deep water dock. His wife talked him into buying it so they could knock down both homes and build one of the targa gargantuan 6/4 that have been popping up. But unfortunately this was in about 2008 or so and after he bought it the
market crashed and he waited. He wound up divorcing the wife and turned the second new house into his man cave. The dude has a complete sports bar right next door to him. Lucky bastard!

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been renting space from a small business owner for over 6 years. Created a social club where we have had 6-10 members at any one time. The focus of the space is my 9' Diamond Pro-Am. But we also have 6 TV's for sports, dartboard, 1965 Gottlieb pinball machine, a pantry with refrig,individual shelves for folks to store their personal belongings, and of course a bathroom.

Members pay a small quarterly fee, and have a key to come and go as they please. It works great, providing you get the right kind of people involved. Meaning no s&*tbums.

Believe or not, not all members are pool players. They just wanted a place to hang out with similar minded guys. Other than football season, it's primarily used for pool playing. People are there mostly on weekends or at night, so we have minimal impact on the business, but when we are there during a weekday we respect the fact that there is a business being run there. It's been a great relationship for everyone involved.

I would still rather have the table at home, but I don't have the space. But my club is only a mile from the house, so I've learned to live with the condition. However it sure would be nice to have it at home when you have 20 minutes to kill.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was beginning to wonder if RR ever cooked anything that didn't have EVOO in it. Surprise! that recipe didn't. :)

Yes, no EVOO in this one.

BTW, I substitute Newman's Own Pineapple Salsa and it works great.

Gotta love RR, particularly when she was younger :-o

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 79