Table ID (Olhausen)? And is the Simonis 860 still good?

theinkdon

Registered
Hi, all. I bought this table used about 6 years ago from a private owner in Atlanta. He didn't know much about it, but thought it was an Olhausen and was about 30 years old. it. Said it had been re-covered with "good cloth" a couple years prior to me buying it. Not knowing any better at the time, I found a guy on Craigslist (I know, I know) to move and install it in my place. I helped/watched him put it together and it's 3-piece slate with Simonis 860, I saw that on the cloth. There are no brands or markings on the table, other than "88" stamped on the crossmembers underneath. The installer thought it was an Olhausen also. Can anyone confirm that, and if so, the model? I've looked through their site and don't see any like it, but I don't know if they still list out-of-production tables either. Here are the pics:
Table.jpg
A closeup of one end:
Table end.jpg
And a closeup of a side:
Table side.jpg
The underside:
Underside.jpg
Those are the "88s" I mentioned. Looking the other way:
Underside, the other way.jpg
More "88s", but not quite as readable.

I ran into the limit of 5 pictures, so I'll continue in a new post, but can anyone ID this table? Thanks.

theinkdon

Registered
I think the frame is solid wood, not veneered. This shot is looking up at the bottom edge of one of the end aprons:
oHhZLBGh.jpg

The top of the picture is the outward-facing finished part of the apron. The lighter colored band across the middle of the pic is its bottom edge. You can see some of the finish stain bled over onto the bottom edge, but it's pretty clear the face isn't veneered.

The pockets could stand to be replaced, does anyone know where I can find some like these:
aT57wy5h.jpg

And my last question is about the condition of the Simonis 860. I'm going to have the rails re-cushioned by Southern Billiards near Atlanta, but to my amateur eye this cloth looks okay:
R4UT7sph.jpg

And from a little bit farther back:
SXvYbYOh.jpg

They can tell me when they come here for the rails of course, but does it look okay to everyone?
And I realize that when the rails get re-wrapped, even with the same color Simonis 860, they might not quite match the bed, but I think I can live with that.

Regardless of if anyone can ID this table, it looks like quality construction, doesn't it? Worth putting a few hundred more dollars into to get the rails redone?

Oh, and the slate thickness. I tried to measure it at a side pocket and just get the slate, not the wood underneath. I got 1.16", which is probably the slate plus 2 layers of cloth, does that sound about right:
zBOYryFh.jpg

Thanks all in advance for any help you can provide.
Mike in Atlanta

Attachments

• Corner pocket 1.jpg
    Corner pocket 1.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 250

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were an Olhausen it would have their ID plate on it, so with no ID plate it's probably a generic Asian import. Looks like a pretty good furniture grade table, they at least used solid hardwood (Poplar) for the slate frame and crossmembers. I can't tell what the actual frame (box) is made of, but yeah it appears to be solid hardwood and fairly substantial.

Those pockets can be found through various sources, maybe not the fringe color you want. Below is link to Seyberts pockets. Pooldawg and Classic billiards would have them as well.

https://www.seyberts.com/pool-table-pockets

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were an Olhausen it would have their ID plate on it, so with no ID plate it's probably a generic Asian import. Looks like a pretty good furniture grade table, they at least used solid hardwood (Poplar) for the slate frame and crossmembers. I can't tell what the actual frame (box) is made of, but yeah it appears to be solid hardwood and fairly substantial.

Those pockets can be found through various sources, maybe not the fringe color you want. Below is link to Seyberts pockets. Pooldawg and Classic billiards would have them as well.

https://www.seyberts.com/pool-table-pockets
Yep. Not an Olhausen. Asian import table.

theinkdon

Registered
Thanks for your input, guys. I was hoping it was Olhausen, but still, the build quality seems pretty good. I'll go ahead and have the rails done, and if my game improves I'll get a Gold Crown or Diamond one day.

No one commented on the cloth, so I think it's okay.

Lawnboy77, thanks for pointing me to similar pockets at Seybert's. I looked at cloth and rubber there, but somehow missed those pockets. It's funny though, because if you use their search box for "pockets" you don't see those. But of course they're under Pool Table Supplies - Pool Table Repair - Replacement Pockets.

Thanks again.
Mike