Pool's "image"

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When John Shmoe plays pool (8 ball, call shot)...does he wear a suit? No, he wears bar attire typically. Maybe he's with a lady he wants to impress and has a nicer shirt on, but mainly it's casual dress.

When Jane Shmoe plays pool does she dress conservatively? Does she make sure not to curse? Does she demand the room be dead quiet, with even the slightest sneeze by a nearby watcher making her so angry she can barely continue to play?

How many times have you seen Mikey McRegularGuy out shooting some pool (8 ball, call shot), and he acts stately and proper, never "damaging' his image or those around him in this prim and proper billiards establishment (probably a bar)?

What the hell has gone wrong (at least in America) that has made most people seem to think that people who play it well should do the following -
- Play 9 or 10-ball, or any game other than 8-ball. Or at least MAINLY 8-ball
- Play on 9 or 10 foot table with tiny pockets
- Wear suits and conservative dress
- Be completely silent and demand everyone around them be completely silent, lest it hurt the level of play and "integrity" of the game

"Pool", as the general public knows it is -

- 8-ball
- Call shot (yes, shot)
- Usually on a bar table
- Dressed casual
- Played in a loud place with music and lots of activity going on
- Hootin and hollerin and cursin and having a good time

Why would this game EVER appeal to the fans if it's not something they recognize. Ask anyone who isn't a "pool player" to watch a pro match and it'll be completely foreign to them. Sure, modify some rules and equipment here and there for pro-level, but leave the essence of the game intact and recognizable to everyone everywhere.

Why do we think we know better than the ENTIRE PUBLIC and that we're protecting the "integrity" of the game, like we're talking about something that demands "integrity". That line of thinking is all wrong and why the game is disappearing.

It's a GAME where you poke balls around into holes. Does the game where they dribble the ball around and throw it through a hoop demand "integrity"? Is that game recognizable by the fans as basically the same game they play? There are a million examples here but the point is....

Stop with the pool "image" and "integrity" thing, you've got it all wrong.

Last edited:

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I figure there are two different aspects of pool - recreational pool & pool for money. The general public is going to be mostly familiar with the former, which is most certainly casual. The latter is going to appeal a distinctly different group, some of which don't give a sh*t about image. But, those that organize (or manipulate) pool for money will try to raise the image and integrity (yeah, right) of the game in the hopes of drawing more money to the cause. Such efforts, if done correctly can work.

I DJ at one of the top strip clubs in the country. We have an elegant, distinctive environment for our patrons, we serve pretty & delicious cuisine (instead of food), we have a moderate dress code and cannot play ANY music with ANY foul language...all while mostly naked girls are doing and saying pretty much the same things as girls in other strip clubs. The difference is that our efforts at improving the image and integrity of the strip club industry pays off pretty well. Our patrons are mostly white collar, well behaved and well off. This club BANKS.

I don't know how much such efforts will help pool for money as it primarily involves gambling, which is usually not an endeavor of integrity, but it can't hurt to try.

(All of the above might have nothing to do with the OP, but hey, I'm currently at work and quite distracted, as you can imagine.) :)

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I figure there are two different aspects of pool - recreational pool & pool for money. The general public is going to be mostly familiar with the former, which is most certainly casual. The latter is going to appeal a distinctly different group, some of which don't give a sh*t about image. But, those that organize (or manipulate) pool for money will try to raise the image and integrity (yeah, right) of the game in the hopes of drawing more money to the cause. Such efforts, if done correctly can work.

I DJ at one of the top strip clubs in the country. We have an elegant, distinctive environment for our patrons, we serve pretty & delicious cuisine (instead of food), we have a moderate dress code and cannot play ANY music with ANY foul language...all while mostly naked girls are doing and saying pretty much the same things as girls in other strip clubs. The difference is that our efforts at improving the image and integrity of the strip club industry pays off pretty well. Our patrons are mostly white collar, well behaved and well off. This club BANKS.

I don't know how much such efforts will help pool for money as it primarily involves gambling, which is usually not an endeavor of integrity, but it can't hurt to try.

(All of the above might have nothing to do with the OP, but hey, I'm currently at work and quite distracted, as you can imagine.) :)

Pics or it didn't happen. :)

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

We need pics from your workplace...:thumbup:

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool falls into the same category as golf and bowling.

Pool, golf or bowling for fun and recreation is a GAME.

Pool, golf or bowling in a competitive setting is a SPORT.

If you are playing any of these for SPORT, to make a living, then you should absolutely make an effort to present and conduct yourself on a higher level than you would recreationally... especially if you are at the highest level, where you are providing entertainment for others, including younger people who look up to you as a role model.

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pics or it didn't happen. :)
Oops...I should've seen this coming. Lol. Best i can do at the moment is a photo of my "office". They frown on photos here, but if opportunity presents...

uploadfromtaptalk1454726297692.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is that a Camel? Interesting choice of prop for a gentleman's club........imagination is a he** of a thing.

We have a variety of dead trophies on our walls, but no camels. Due to the 4ft horns that can't be seen, this must be a gazelle or antelope. Not sure though as I'm no wild game hunter.

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool falls into the same category as golf and bowling.

Pool, golf or bowling for fun and recreation is a GAME.

Pool, golf or bowling in a competitive setting is a SPORT.

If you are playing any of these for SPORT, to make a living, then you should absolutely make an effort to present and conduct yourself on a higher level than you would recreationally... especially if you are at the highest level, where you are providing entertainment for others, including younger people who look up to you as a role model.

Yes...this too. Well said.

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So we all should embrace and promote a lack of integrity ?

Damn, I knew I was doing something wrong.

You gotta read the whole post man. I'm saying that this quest for "integrity" is alienating the vast amount of people who play pool casually or are willing to watch it (AKA - the fans) by creating an unrecognizable version of pool they can't relate to. When's the last time you saw Lebron playing on the court in a suit, dribbling 2 balls, with a hoop 30 feet the air, in a completely silent arena?

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had more time I would break it down iwith another one of Satori's dating analogies: Nice Guy Edition.

The nice guy thinks he's making progress when she comes crying to him about how her boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend. Then he doesnt understand how she wont pick up the phone the following night when the nice guy calls her... because she is right in the middle of a threesome.:)

Seriously though. There is way too much concern for class and image in pool. People really think Earl is bad for the sport?

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
You gotta read the whole post man. I'm saying that this quest for "integrity" is alienating the vast amount of people who play pool casually or are willing to watch it (AKA - the fans) by creating an unrecognizable version of pool they can't relate to. When's the last time you saw Lebron playing on the court in a suit, dribbling 2 balls, with a hoop 30 feet the air, in a completely silent arena?

Well if you're suggesting pool should be 8 ball on a bar table in a loud raucous environment then you're misguided. Sorry, not sorry.

Sir Scratchalot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Casual pool players are never going to spend much time, if any, watching pro pool being played, regardless of how strict or loose it is. It's only exciting to watch if your interest in pool is beyond the casual and, honestly, it's barely exciting even then. Casual players, while they must enjoy the game to some degree, have mostly just found a comfortable medium in which to enjoy the company of friends or to seek new ones.

Now, if pool players can be encouraged to break out into fights occasionally (which is the ONLY thing interesting about hockey), that would surely help. Especially on the women's side, everybody loves a good chick fight. Until then, however, making it seem more polished, professional and honest will do more for the sport than watching people in their best Tuesday night tournament attire being casual.

Also, keep in mind, the crowd at pro golf tournaments are all hushed during drives and putts. There might be something to that whole Be Quiet thing.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Casual pool players are never going to spend much time, if any, watching pro pool being played, regardless of how strict or loose it is. It's only exciting to watch if your interest in pool is beyond the casual and, honestly, it's barely exciting even then. Casual players, while they must enjoy the game to some degree, have mostly just found a comfortable medium in which to enjoy the company of friends or to seek new ones.

Now, if pool players can be encouraged to break out into fights occasionally (which is the ONLY thing interesting about hockey), that would surely help. Especially on the women's side, everybody loves a good chick fight. Until then, however, making it seem more polished, professional and honest will do more for the sport than watching people in their best Tuesday night tournament attire being casual.

Also, keep in mind, the crowd at pro golf tournaments are all hushed during drives and putts. There might be something to that whole Be Quiet thing.

If promoters are relying on the game to entertain then pool is doomed until something changes. Imagine if Fats and Mosconi had to sit quietly and never interact or show emotion. How boring would that have been. The producers back then miked them up for entertainment.

Mosconi cup is the closest thing to what pool should strive to be imo. The image is clean enough for even the most straight laced to respect it while they generate excitement. The image concerned people here still freak out when Earl shows emotion there though or Rodney let out some emotion also. Not that ESPN can allow some words on TV but still people asking for him to never return to the Cup again is a way over the top overreaction.

I wonder if any golf fans freaked out about the image of golf when Tiger Woods went through his ordeal. Pool could use some excitement is what I'm saying and if pool were to keep it more real then it would be 10 x's more exciting then what it is now. I agree with a lot of what the OP said.

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He plays in a uniform, just like nearly every other pro athlete plays in a uniform or conforms to a dress code. He plays on professional equipment, not in a school yard with busted up cement, a warped backboard and no net.