Aother 14.1 Rules Question

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are playing in a 14.1 tournament and it is an all ball foul format. The player makes the break ball, misses the stack, and scratches. His opponent the spots the pocketed break ball, and in the process touches the second and third ball in the rack to tighten them up. Is this a foul for touching the balls?

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the situation you describe, it is common practice to implement the use of the rack, and re-rack all the balls, so no, this would not be considered a foul. In other situations where the rack area has been somewhat developed, re-spotting should be observed carefully by both players, and every effort should be made to not disturb the layout. In our league it is not considered a foul when in the act of re-spotting a ball another ball is touched. However, if in the act of re-spotting, one or more balls are touched and moved from their positions, then that would be considered a -1 penalty foul and loss of turn. In such a situation it should always be the incoming player (who's turn it is at the table) that re-spots any pocketed balls.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are playing in a 14.1 tournament and it is an all ball foul format. The player makes the break ball, misses the stack, and scratches. His opponent the spots the pocketed break ball, and in the process touches the second and third ball in the rack to tighten them up. Is this a foul for touching the balls?
A player acting as a referee is not normally charged with such "fouls". Otherwise neither player would be willing to spot a ball and all matches would need a referee.

At the current US Open 9-Ball tournament, the rule is all-ball fouls. They are also using a racking template. Sometimes a ball is on the template and the template needs to be removed. Some players are fine with the shooter holding the ball, lifting the ball straight up and sliding the template out. Other players like to pick fights and call fouls if any ball is touched, so the area ref has to remove the template.

Last edited:

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the rules state that once a shot has been played, if a ball needs to be spotted and the stack was not hit, you cannot use the rack to "re-rack" the 15 balls. The ball must be spotted by hand. If so, if the player spotting the ball tries to "fix" something he deems wrong with the untouched rack (balls not touching), should that action not be a foul?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the rules state that once a shot has been played, if a ball needs to be spotted and the stack was not hit, you cannot use the rack to "re-rack" the 15 balls. The ball must be spotted by hand. If so, if the player spotting the ball tries to "fix" something he deems wrong with the untouched rack (balls not touching), should that action not be a foul?
That rule was changed in 2008. Use the triangle if you want. The rules are available free on-line at the WPA website.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

It couldn't be a foul on this side of the pond because it's not the incoming player's job to spot the ball - he isn't the one who scratched and fouled, and his inning effectively doesn't start before all balls pocketed on a foul are being re-spotted (that part is still end of turn of the player who scratched). Having said all this, if he does anything on purpose in order to change the outcome of the shot, game or match, it would be considered unsportsmanlike behavior, so in case of doubt (that is, unless one is on friendly terms with one's opponent), it may be wise for the incoming player to stay put and wait until it's his/her turn (= after the ball has been re-spotted). I've once seen a nervous player drop a ball (sweaty hands) and scatter the rack all over the place, so…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited: