How to submit data to Fargorate

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have the details on how to submit tournament matches to Fargorate? I can't find it on their website. Also - how long does it take from the time you send it to the time the players' ratings get updated?

Thanks.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have the details on how to submit tournament matches to Fargorate? I can't find it on their website. Also - how long does it take from the time you send it to the time the players' ratings get updated?

Thanks.

Currently you must create a spreadsheet with the player info and match results and email it to Mike Page. Slow and cumbersome. Mike updates it pretty quick but he is busy doing other things I assume. If you want an example spreadsheet PM me your email address and I'll send you one.

There supposedly is a new Fargo front-end coming soon, the LMS (League Management System) which will make entering league results easier, and I suppose it will be set up to enter tourney results as well. So stay tuned.

PLEASE DON'T GET FRUSTRATED BECAUSE FARGO IS THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO POOL IN A LONG LONG WHILE

Reactions: JC

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a tournament that used fargo ratings a while back and he seemed to have the program on his laptop. I believe he used to work at Fargo billiards though.

Bikelink

Registered
hi guys I know it's an old thread but here you go:
#1: Use (free) Challonge.com (yes that's the spelling) online brackets, keep settings 'public,' then use facebook to post the tournament to Fargorate or Mike Page by message and ask him to include and follow your username on challonge.com
#2) use Ingenpool (or anything else) but pay (ingen) or whatever to be able to post the brackets publically, then submit the link/info.

Key things are: 1) results publicly available, 2) let him know. 3) games can't be ball-spot...have to be scratch or game-spot. If game-spot then on the bracket, only list games WON (not the game spots). Challonge.com will let you indicate that the players who won fewer games won the match; ingen pool won't. If you use ingenpool and have game-spots then need to discuss with him so he can tell if he's able to use them.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently you must create a spreadsheet with the player info and match results and email it to Mike Page. Slow and cumbersome. Mike updates it pretty quick but he is busy doing other things I assume. If you want an example spreadsheet PM me your email address and I'll send you one.

There supposedly is a new Fargo front-end coming soon, the LMS (League Management System) which will make entering league results easier, and I suppose it will be set up to enter tourney results as well. So stay tuned.

PLEASE DON'T GET FRUSTRATED BECAUSE FARGO IS THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO POOL IN A LONG LONG WHILE

Has any thought been given to the almost certain likelihood of falsifying tourney results? Hate to say it, but nothing stopping a tourney director from recording his boy's blowout wins as hill hill...

Something I hope Mike considers...

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi guys I know it's an old thread but here you go:
#1: Use (free) Challonge.com (yes that's the spelling) online brackets, keep settings 'public,' then use facebook to post the tournament to Fargorate or Mike Page by message and ask him to include and follow your username on challonge.com
#2) use Ingenpool (or anything else) but pay (ingen) or whatever to be able to post the brackets publically, then submit the link/info.

Key things are: 1) results publicly available, 2) let him know. 3) games can't be ball-spot...have to be scratch or game-spot. If game-spot then on the bracket, only list games WON (not the game spots). Challonge.com will let you indicate that the players who won fewer games won the match; ingen pool won't. If you use ingenpool and have game-spots then need to discuss with him so he can tell if he's able to use them.

Great point about the public availability...speaks to my question about falsifying results. We use Ingen Pool alot around here...I was just thinking, does it matter who won the match as far as FargoRate is concerned? Seems like it wouldn't, only the score.

KMRUNOUT

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has any thought been given to the almost certain likelihood of falsifying tourney results? Hate to say it, but nothing stopping a tourney director from recording his boy's blowout wins as hill hill...

KMRUNOUT
As you mentioned, one defense against that is to make the playing history publicly accessible or at least viewable by the players. The opponents in the alleged matches could notice and complain.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you mentioned, one defense against that is to make the playing history publicly accessible or at least viewable by the players. The opponents in the alleged matches could notice and complain.

Yeah...I wonder how difficult it would be to make all the Fargo Data viewable? Seems like you could set up a site that allows you to drill down by player, state, tournament, etc. Could be really cool.

KMRUNOUT

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KMRUNOUT

Yes, as others have mentioned, we input data we deem reliable and that has been shared publicly with the world. The availability of peer-review is an important part of data integrity.

Also you should imagine the FargoRate Custodian, a post-processing effort that will grow increasingly more sophisticated. The Custodian's role mostly is to catch bad data by flagging results that are statistically unlikely -- like when Jayson Shaw's US Open games go mistakenly to Jason Shaw, league player from Peoria or a 7-2 match win is keyed in as 77-2 But if a player tends to win closely and lose in blowouts, or shine in tournaments compared to league or leave the A-game at home for the low-entry weekly tournament, those sorts of things can be flagged as well.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Beginning to have my doubts. The official response is essentially a copy and paste from a year ago.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two of me? Hi Mike. E mailed you 6-8 weeks ago and got no response. Player 12410. Robust 427. Above my name is identical person with no D on last name. Sure someone entered that wrong. There can't be two of me. The world can't handle it!! While I'm wishing, how about being able to see all players from any state listed of course in alphabetical order!! Thanks for bringing Fargo to us all.

DanLavigne

Registered
Submitting and Fetching data from Fargorate

We are currently investigating the possibility to setup some kind of automation to upload Ingenpool's tournament results to Fargorate. This built-in interaction could also include fetching back current player's ratings. We contacted Mike Page and are waiting for a reply with directives on the preferred output format.

Update 21/12/17; We are in contact with Mike Page, and are currently implementing an automation for gathering and submitting data to Fargo Rating. A Fargo-Rating Fair-Match handicap is also being added to our handicap selection. We expect a release early 2018. Stay tune...

Update 20/04/2018; Ingenpool's automatic FargoRate submission is now fully implemented and being BETA tested. If you are a registered Ingenpool user and would like to participate in the testing, send us a quick note at support@budtour.com. Full detail of the procedure can be viewed at http://budtour.com/tutorials?vid=32

Update 11/07/2018; The new version 4.0.0.9 featuring the FargoRate submitting functions is now in pre-release and stable. Fargo submissions are debugged, fine-tuned with Mike Page, and already used successfully by many users. The full release is scheduled for mid-summer. If you are currently an Ingenpool subscribed member and would like to upgrade now (no fee), send us a quick note at support@budtour.com. Full detail of the procedure can be viewed at http://budtour.com/tutorials?vid=32

Last edited:

DanLavigne

Registered
Hey guys, Ingenpool is now 100% Fargorate enabled. You can run a variety of format like single - double- modified - mixed KO - CHIP, with up to 128 players, full database support, tons of cool billiard-dedicated features, and a 1-click Fargorate results submission when completed.

The release version 4.0.1.8 can be downloaded from https://www.budtour.com/download/ipool400.zip

A detailled tutorial video on the submission process can be viewed at https://www.budtour.com/tutorials?vid=32

Ingenpool fully supports the Fargorate effort, which we believe is a major milestone in the advancement of the great game of billiard, and we encourage all TD to submit their tournament results. Don't hesitate to post if you have questions or comments.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your product "Features" page has no reference to Fargorate.

Mr. Mike any concurrence with all of this...?

$50.00 here vs. $200.00 bca

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your product "Features" page has no reference to Fargorate.

Mr. Mike any concurrence with all of this...?

$50.00 here vs. $200.00 bca

League games

League games are fully integrated with FargoRate through FargoRate LMS. What this means is LMS "talks to" the FargoRate database. Consequently new games go into FargoRate immediately, and LMS accesses "live" ratings to go along with stats or compute handicaps, etc.

Tournament games

There is no integrated tournament software. We will get there, but we're not there now. In the meantime there are some options to run tournaments that make their way into the system.

Ingenpool is one such option. It is an impressive piece of software. Table management; remembers your players; you can add in late players so long as no matches have been scored. And you can select match data to be sent to FargoRate.

This gets a file to us with match data. The next stage of processing, done once a week, is for us to take all such files and combine them together and segregate by state. It is after that they get to me, maybe 100-200 tournaments and 30,000 games or so played by 4,000 players. We then have to match up those players with players in our database and create new records for new players. Usually this is done in 3 days or so but somethings it waits to be combined with the following week's tournaments.

I don't understand the $50 vs $200 comment

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its 50 for the annual subscription to Ingenpool for the use of the software.

200 to get a spot within BCA, the league.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its 50 for the annual subscription to Ingenpool for the use of the software.

200 to get a spot within BCA, the league.

I don't understand about the $200 for a spot in BCA, the league.

Regardless, though, it is apples to oranges.

Ingenpool has a cost. If you are allergic to costs, you can use challonge. That works fine, though you will lose a few nice features