Bumperless Cues

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love the way the old school Titleist conversions look, especially the Hoppe models. I also like the way the bumperless models look but I have refrained from obtaining one because I'm afraid I'll eventually trash the bottom of the butt. I play league and sometimes travel to halls and bars that have no carpeting. I have a habit of resting the bottom of my cue on the floor, which is what the bumpers on 99% (my numbers) of cues are for. Also, when not playing, or breaking with my break stick, my cue is resting on the floor in my cue holder.
OK. Question: For those that play regularly with bumperless cues, how do you keep the finish from getting damaged during use? Have you developed any tricks or procedures? Do you not put it down, or keep it in your case?
I hope I can find an answer so I can pull the trigger on a bumperless conversion.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Every cue I've owned that didn't have a sufficient bumper now has a cracked bottom.

I've never understood why sufficient bumpers are not used on all cues, especially very expensive ones.

The next cue I get, I'm going right to Mueller's and buying one of those big-azz bumpers for it, before it gets cracked.

Jeff Livingston

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't commonly play bumperless but when I do I am very careful.

I don't bang my cues.

When I let someone try one of my cues I have one thing I say: "Don't bang it on anything."

A few months a go I let a friend try one of my cues. After a shot he let the cue slide in his hand until the bumper hit the floor. Hard. Too hard for my taste. I took the cue. He asked why. I said "I told you not to bang it on anything". He said "That's why cues have bumpers". I asked him "Your car has bumpers, do you go around banging into other cars at every stop light?"

Anyway, one guy I knew used one of these for his bumperless cue:

67765add-9e32-48fe-8cb6-819bfa9dbf9b_300.jpg

He kept one in his bag and set it on the floor wherever he was leaving his cue when not shooting.

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rest the butt of the cue on your shoe.. That always worked for me.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D:D

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do that out of habit now. When my girlfriend sees me doing it she immediately says "cue on shoe" as a relation to foot in mouth, because I'm obviously not at the table if my cues on my shoe:rolleyes:

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the "sound/feel" of bumperless and since I have been using it for a long time I really don´t have to think about being careful - it´s in the "system" :).
However - don´t lend it to someone else - great rule :).

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I have an original Hoppe Titlist with no bumper, thats exactly what I do when I play with it. You get used to doing that real quick. I also have a Titlist conversion but it has a bumper and I leave that one in the house.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rest mine on the floor or my shoe. When you are not playing, put it in the case.

JRusso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can say that I've never actually played with a bumper-less cue. I do see it time to time on some of the customs- usually high end potentially more collectible than playing cues. Does the bumper really alter/ dampen the hit that much?
I understand the looks, but some people talk about the hit being different without the bumper. I have pulled the bumper off of my regular playing cue and hit a few balls, but it was not night and day to say the least.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I play all on carpet, so not a problem, though I understand your question.

I agree with the cue butt on the shoe when you're standing with your cue, make it a habit.

If you play in a place without carpet, bring a washcloth, and put in next to your chair. When you place you cue down, put the butt down on the washcloth to not get it ground and damaged over time. People might think you're an idiot. But they will always admire your cue.

All the best,
WW

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Limbsaver Source?

If I had a bumperless cue, I'd put a Limbsaver on it.
Where can I purchase a Limbsaver for my pool cue?

The LimbSaver™ is the greatest innovation in cue stick technology since the leather tip. Whether you are an enthusiast or a pro, the LimbSaver™ is a must have! Cue Stick Vibration can cause the tip to wander, greatly decreasing accuracy. The LimbSaver™ Cue Stick Stabilizer keeps the tip on the ball longer! The stabilizing effect leads to: * Dampened vibration of your cue stick * Enhanced energy on your break * Consistent English * Controlled spin Diameter: 1.125" Height: 1.0625" Weight: approx. .7 oz. Limbsaver has 3 different models designed to fit dozens of cue brands.

Attachments

• IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Shoe rest while playing and a coaster from the bar on the floor while breaking.

There oughta be a law where every pool hall has to have one of those rubbery floors. If it's good enough for the bartenders, it's good enough for the players.

Vote for me and all your pool problems disappear,

Jeff Livingston

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy it. Take care of it and enjoy it. Take a small piece of rubber floor mat(black rubber runner) with you. What cue are you getting?

Last edited: