Ferrule on revo shaft

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyways to install a ferrule on a revo shaft apart from glueing it? Having troubles with sighting.

I was curious so, I had my cue guy put a ferrule on my revo long before most other cf shafts with ferrules came out.

I had my cue guy glue a very, very thin fiber pad directly to the red pad.

Then I had him glue a piece of tomahawk to the fiber pad...

Then my tip..

I started out with a full .5" ferrule. It was to much and totally changed the deflection properties of the revo.

So, I then had him tip take the newly installed tip off (ouch...kamui tip) the very same day and trim the tomahawk ferrule down to 3/8".

At 3/8", the shaft played closer to hiw it was intended but, it still deflected the cb more than it did when factory.

Well, once again I had my cue guy cut yet another new tip off and take a little more tomahawk off.

This time, I had him take it down to 1/4". At 1/4" it played good, even closer to factory deflection and energy transfer but, I wanted the true sweet spot......so....lol

I had yet another tip cut off and had him take it down to exactly 1/8" inch.

At 1/8" the tomahawk ferrule gave just enough visual aid but, at the same time, it played identical to the way it did from factory.

BTW, my cue guy says the reason for the thin fiber pad between the 1/8" tomahawk ferrule and predator's red pad was to control "where" it fails in case it fails.

By putting the pad there, the point of failure would be the "thin fiber pad".......it would tear...therefore keeping the red lad intact.

I tried it. It works great.

At 1/8" the revo hax the exact same playing characteristics as a factory revo.....all except ONE part.

Adding the ferrule, even just an 1/8" ferrule, did away with a lot of the energy transfer and it made the hit much softer.

So, in the end:

If you want a cf cue to be really low deflection but, FEEL and SOUND ....exactly like most high-end wooden shafts....add the ferrule.

Again, it wont have the energy transfer as a factory revo does but, it will have as much as any wooden shaft has ever had.

It works!

Jeff

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
If sighting is the only issue, why not just use some white tape? Probably not the best or prettiest, but it will be the simplest and most cost effective option to resolve the problem without re-engineering the shaft. Just saying.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If sighting is the only issue, why not just use some white tape? Probably not the best or prettiest, but it will be the simplest and most cost effective option to resolve the problem without re-engineering the shaft. Just saying.

I did the tape thing. It worked ok. I also used a type of paint that I got from a friend.

The paint, just like the tape, worked great until I got about half way through a set and it had to be redone.

Tape is a hassle.

Adding a sliver of tomahawk is one and done.

Jeff

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same problem. Had a new tip installed with a white pad underneath. Made all the difference in the world.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just buy a cutec cynergy and forget about it.

They hit very different from a Revo, more flexy, play and feel more like a standard shaft rather than a carbon fiber shaft. My son bought one, we tried it for a day and a guy offered to trade it for his Revo, which he did. A week later the guy asked if we could trade back hehe. So it's a pretty different type of shaft, not all carbon fiber setups are the same. The only shaft I have tried that is just about like the Revo is the Mezz one. Cuetec and Meucci were pretty much same as a maple LD shaft, which is nice and all but then why not just get a maple LD shaft? To me a carbon fiber shaft should be different, otherwise just get the real thing. If you can by a BMW or a car that drives like a BMW but costs more, just get the BMW. Why buy a shaft that hits like a maple shaft for double or triple the price of a maple shaft?

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They hit very different from a Revo, more flexy, play and feel more like a standard shaft rather than a carbon fiber shaft. My son bought one, we tried it for a day and a guy offered to trade it for his Revo, which he did. A week later the guy asked if we could trade back hehe. So it's a pretty different type of shaft, not all carbon fiber setups are the same. The only shaft I have tried that is just about like the Revo is the Mezz one. Cuetec and Meucci were pretty much same as a maple LD shaft, which is nice and all but then why not just get a maple LD shaft? To me a carbon fiber shaft should be different, otherwise just get the real thing. If you can by a BMW or a car that drives like a BMW but costs more, just get the BMW. Why buy a shaft that hits like a maple shaft for double or triple the price of a maple shaft?

Exactly!!!!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same problem. Had a new tip installed with a white pad underneath. Made all the difference in the world.

On next tip install have your guy to replace pad with an 1/8" sliver of tomahawk.

It won't change the performance in deflection at all. It will make the hit a tad softer. Not a lot, just a little softer.

Jeff

Pangit

Banned

Call me old fashioned. My gut tells me practice, practice, practice cures all ills. Some new age CF shaft isn't a magic pill, is it?

Where does one buy this "aiming tape" you speak of?

It still seems to be "out of stock" in the Philippines. I can't find it anywhere.
:scratchhead:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Revo has a White Vault Plate (from Predator)....

Yes. Predator now offers customizations to their Revo line. You could sell your current one, and buy one directly from them with a white vault plate. You can also get them 30" now, and a few more joint options.

btal

Registered
Maybe because you never have to get another one?

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe because you never have to get another one?

This. And I don't have to concern myself with dings, nicks, dents, scratches, the son of a b*tch turning blue near the top, etc...

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This works great. Get some white framing tape from an art supply store. It is super sticky and also very slick on the other side and chalk doesn't stick to it. I used some on a Revo for a month and never had a problem with chalk sticking to it or with the tape coming off of the shaft. If you want you can send me your address in a PM and I'll send you some pieces to try.