Oiling cue tip

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone oil their cue tips once in a while? What effect does it have?

When done playing, I clean off the chaulk, and vigorously rub the tip with the palm of my hand. It holds chalk like a magnet every time. And I use a hard tip.

I know several people that use the old Indian trick of using saliva. But that tends to make the tip harder, which is fine for him, because that's how he likes it.

I remember reading an article on RUDOLF WANDERONE (aka Minnesota Fats) that he used to carry his spare pool cue tips in his pocket for weeks. He would put his hand in his pocket and rub them to infuse his skin oil (and sweat). For the life of me I cant find that article. Would love to come across it again.

I dont recommend soaking the tip with oil though. Especially for a laminated tip. It could degrade the bond between layers.

Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone oil their cue tips once in a while? What effect does it have?

TIP should be a little rough - to hold chalk properly-
" all greased up will be slippery and not grip at all-
"that what you want in a cue tip- GRip the cue ball-
not slippery oily cue tip

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've posted about this before.

I have put a drop of Singer Sewing
Machine oil on my Le Pro tips many times.

I learned this from Jack Taylor about 40 years ago.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seriously?? Who doesn't?? I like Mobil1 30wt for 9ball and Castrol 5w-40 for one pocket. Change every 3,000 shots or 3mos. ;)

" PERHAPS ….
some Crisco Lard cue tip dip
…..
Heck,
try it on your chips too :grin-square:
"I think there was a plyer back east...…
yea,
Greazy Joe ….
called him Slick too

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
some duds use/used oil instead of milk!

Some leather preservative might make sense, never understood more than the slightest touch of possibly neatsfoot oil well after an install to keep life in a tip. Never oiled a tip myself.

Seems odd but i have read of ElkMasters soaked in oil instead of milk then crushed down to make a very hard tip. The people doing this report no problems with gluing tips to shafts or ferrules. Seems like there would be issues but apparently not.

I have encountered other leather that has been saturated with various oils for various reasons. The results have always been a very soft nasty mess!

To my manner of thinking oil and leather don't mix.

Hu

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The naysayers don't have a clue.

I've done it hundreds of times over 40 something years.

A single drop on the top of a scuffed tip will soak in and soften the tip.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve tried neatsfoot oil on tips in a effort to soften them. Tip would not hold chalk and it was a miscue fest!! Just accept the fact that tips harden with use and if you need a softer tip, install a new soft tip.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
as long as you change the oil every 3,000 miles you should be ok :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t do it......if you wanted a softer tip, just replace the tip with a different one.

The amount of tip contact time stroking the cueball is minuscule to start with.

The only thing you really need is a properly shaped tip & applying chalk correctly.

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've posted about this before.

I have put a drop of Singer Sewing
Machine oil on my Le Pro tips many times.

I learned this from Jack Taylor about 40 years ago.

The last time I had a tip installed I was making small talk with the cue tech about milk duds. He told me he likes to soak his le pro tips in wd40 before pressing them.

I've been trying to find more information about this and what it does. Any chance you've heard of this and know a recipe for it?