Promo pic for the 1961 movie, “The Hustler”

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2d444b21a36fd3edf49a9ca8f439b38f.jpg

Saw this on FB and wondered about the cues and what they would be worth today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had those EXACT cues and can prove they were the ones used in the "Hustler " movie? Market price today would only be determined by putting them up for auction well advertised to the billiard collecting community.- If someone here already owns them- they could tell you what and when they paid for them.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched "the sting" with Paul Newman

It is also a really good movie,actually better movie

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I just watched "the sting" with Paul Newman

It is also a really good movie,actually better movie

Both good movies. The Hustler would have won best picture that year, but West Side Story came out the same year.

-dj

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is going to be difficult for another movie to pull pool in the US out of the doldrums. Newman in the early 60s was a good persona for the 20 somethings at that time and Gleason as such for the existing older generation of pool players in the US- it pulled both groups into the game again! In the 80s- Cruise pulled in a lot of younger guys; as this was prior to the internet generation. I just wonder what movie persona could pull this 2020 younger generation into the game? Maybe it is a woman this time - at least guys would follow them into the pool rooms - well, most guys anyhow.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those Cues were Rambo's , It was said that Willie Mosconi had Rambo make the Cues for the film and also had 2 special cues made for Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason. Those Cues today would be interesting to see auction off as I wonder how many collectors these days would be interested in them. I Believe it would be a collector from the old day's would be a fan of the movie/actors . They would not fetch in the realm of Willie Mosconi cues but I would say that it could be in the 5-6000 range each I would say.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Movie Opportunities

There are a couple movies that could be made. I think they could be great stories.

1.) Keith McCready Story

2.) Kid Delicious Story

Both stories would need to be told both good and bad.

Since it is hard for us to make fun of ourselves, I will share this story.

Days of Thunder, Tom Cruise come upon the seen and fights injury to come back to win Daytona. I knew some diehard NASCAR fans and they said it was so unrealistic and terrible. They argued and rolled eyes, etc. Me, being me, told them to lighten up, it is just a story told in movie. A movie, not a documentary.

Now think about how people talk about the Hustler and COM. They are just stories told in movie. You really sound silly to argue about a story.

JMO,

Ken

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Those Cues were Rambo's , It was said that Willie Mosconi had Rambo make the Cues for the film and also had 2 special cues made for Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason. Those Cues today would be interesting to see auction off as I wonder how many collectors these days would be interested in them. I Believe it would be a collector from the old day's would be a fan of the movie/actors . They would not fetch in the realm of Willie Mosconi cues but I would say that it could be in the 5-6000 range each I would say.

The one is obviously a Willie Hoppe Professional factory cue, was probably the cue the 3c player used. Newman's cue was a Rambow

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2d444b21a36fd3edf49a9ca8f439b38f.jpg

Saw this on FB and wondered about the cues and what they would be worth today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting to look at the lights in the ceiling.

Makes it looks like a set was built for Findley's man cave rather than being shot on location.

Lou Figueroa

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Willie Hoppe Professional with ivory ring and a Rambow with the ivory buttcap. Both made from Titlist blanks. The Hoppe Pro's go for about $500 - $600 in good shape and the Rambow somewhere around $2000 - $2500. Similar to the cues below.

Attachments

• rambow1.jpg
    rambow1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Willie Hoppe Pro.jpg
    Willie Hoppe Pro.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 219