Why do I hate league pool so much?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I joined a team for the first time in over ten years, ostensibly as a sub, but now they want me to play every week. UGH! I hate hanging out in a bar for 2-3 hours. I'd rather be home in the comfort of my den watching TV.

The actual playing isn't that hard, winning 3-1, 3-0, 3-1 and 5-0 so far. Everyone is very nice to me, doing their best to make me feel special ("Hey, it's Jay Helfert!"). That is, until we play our match. Then they want to beat me so bad, the same guys who were so friendly minutes before, now very intense and hovering over the table like it's life or death.

The one good thing is it makes me not want to lose, if you get that. I'm afraid to let them come back to the table so I almost always try for the run out, kicking at balls and playing combos, break shots or whatever. I'm not interested in any prolonged safety battles. I want to get it over with as quickly as possible, wasting little time on strategy. Kind of the way I used to play bar pool a million years ago, just get up there and shoot. That way no one can say you hustled them.

That's about it, my rant is over. I just don't know why I really don't enjoy this stuff anymore. It seemed like a good idea a couple of months ago when I agreed to play, but now I wish I hadn't. :eek:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I have to say that I agree with the sentiment. I used to play league and I really enjoyed it. At some point it became very tedious and now I want no part of it.

As a side note I think leagues are absolutely fantastic for pool, I just don't care much to take part

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played league ONCE. Not one session, ONE SET. Pump money in and no cash at the end sealed its fate.

That's why I hate league.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I ever got a chance to play you in league, I would do my very best to kick your ass too! Lol.
I just love the competition .....win or lose.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I joined a team for the first time in over ten years, ostensibly as a sub, but now they want me to play every week. UGH! I hate hanging out in a bar for 2-3 hours. I'd rather be home in the comfort of my den watching TV.

The actual playing isn't that hard, winning 3-1, 3-0, 3-1 and 5-0 so far. Everyone is very nice to me, doing their best to make me feel special ("Hey, it's Jay Helfert!"). That is, until we play our match. Then they want to beat me so bad, the same guys who were so friendly minutes before, now very intense and hovering over the table like it's life or death.

The one good thing is it makes me not want to lose, if you get that. I'm afraid to let them come back to the table so I almost always try for the run out, kicking at balls and playing combos, break shots or whatever. I'm not interested in any prolonged safety battles. I want to get it over with as quickly as possible, wasting little time on strategy. Kind of the way I used to play bar pool a million years ago, just get up there and shoot. That way no one can say you hustled them.

That's about it, my rant is over. I just don't know why I really don't enjoy this stuff anymore. It seemed like a good idea a couple of months ago when I agreed to play, but now I wish I hadn't. :eek:

It's wear and tear that you just don't need anymore Sir!
Clocking up miles, doing the whole dance with nothing to prove...
I felt the same about playing in Snooker league teams. I went back to it may be 3/4 years ago, playing on a 12ft table with my pool cue and z2 shaft :) which I knocked in the highest break of the season with 93 clearance I was marked out as the guy to beat :thumbup:

Then it all got too serious, so much so my opponents (without intention) were making it unenjoyable. Making me feel like I should practice Snooker, just to keep ahead of them. My days of practicing Snooker are long gone, which is why I much prefer to play Pool. A much more fun game for me at my time of life...

I have empathy for you Sir!
Trust me, you'll feel a lot better once you pull out of your team and put your feet up again. No disrespect to you team members, but you just don't have anything to prove...

I used the excuse that business life was taking over and the time just wasn't there anymore to commit to the team 100% (which was 90% true anyway!).

Good luck, which ever way you decide... :thumbup:

Brandon79ta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want anything to do with league anymore either. I blame leagues for beating that killer instinct and/or desire to win out of me. After years of "you only need 3 balls" over and over it's hard to care whether I win or lose unless their is money on the line. When I first started playing I just hated losing period. Now anything less than $10-20 a rack and I have a hard time staying in kill mode.

Nevermind the fact the local vnea league here was the only league in town for years and they knew it. Crappy payouts, crap conditions for year end tournaments, messed up stats, you name it. I don't know if it's much better now that they have a bca league competing with them or not, long past the point of caring.

I do agree the leagues are good for pool, unfortunately they are really only good for bar box pool as most league players, in this area at least, never play or even practice on real tables.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Jay, I started back playing league 2 yrs ago. But before I even agreed to play I said I was gonna put pool second on the list. I only played bc I liked the ppl on the team. And I kept that my priority.

Like most of us, who have a mild distain for league, the pool part is easy bc most of us are at the top of the food chain. So if your main goal is to play competitive pool vs ppl of equal skill and understanding of the game, league is just not where it's at. Not that it doesn't exist but it won't be there on a consistent enough basis. You're better off matching up or playing a tournament.

However, if you make the social aspect a priority, then you'll get a lot more out of it, and the occasional competitive game with some comradery.

Unfortunately, the majority of leagues are filled w guys who can't hack it. So they jump in the little pond and play big fish. These guys tend to manipulate handicaps, call any minor technical to win (unmarked obvious 8 ball pocket), or are just completely rude to play with. What you and I would consider bottom feeders and nits. This is their pro camel tour, Guinness tour, or DCC.

Relax, sit back, enjoy the company, and don't take the pool part too serious (I mean on yourself). Show off a little, and make it fun for your team. And if one of these a$$ hats beats you and thinks that makes him the WPA champ, so what. It's like those videos of athletes letting the kid w disabilities score a touchdown, make a basket, etc when the games locked up and there's no chance for them to win.

Most them wouldn't like it playing you even, and they would never bet that water is wet playing you banks. You're a iconic figure in the game and most of them couldn't name two pro players named Dennis. It's our job to educate with extreme patience and lower our prideful competitive natures.

Flame on for all the ppl who were offended wo seeing the underlying principle of this post, bc you couldn't even get to the end part. Lol

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to

I used to think like that....But, as pool is in decline and leagues bring people into our world who would never play pool if it wasn't for bar leagues.

It isn't a choice between leagues and "normal poolroom" 4 1/2 X 9.

The choice for these folks is pool leagues or bowling leagues or neither.

Be happy they keep many poolrooms open, just from that incremental business.

Hang in there Jay, you are a great ambassador for our sport, and for that I truly thank you.

Ken

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
I used to think like that....But, as pool is in decline and leagues bring people into our world who would never play pool if it wasn't for bar leagues.

It isn't a choice between leagues and "normal poolroom" 4 1/2 X 9.

The choice for these folks is pool leagues or bowling leagues or neither.

Be happy they keep many poolrooms open, just from that incremental business.

Hang in there Jay, you are a great ambassador for our sport, and for that I truly thank you.

Ken

For the record I wish I had said what Ken said. Lol

The Piper

Get Ugly...
Silver Member
I played on a leauge for a couple of years. It was an in house league in MA. Not APA or any of that. It was an excuse for 4 friends to get together once a week after work. Play some pool, and drink some beers and enjoy some competition.

What I couldn't stand were the douchebags. You know the type, *****ing about the cloth, the humidity, your time at the table, their handicap, your handicap, legal hits, music level, lighting... etc. etc. etc.

I'd do another in house league though with the right group of friends, and if there was a place closer to home.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, I started back playing league 2 yrs ago. But before I even agreed to play I said I was gonna put pool second on the list. I only played bc I liked the ppl on the team. And I kept that my priority.

Like most of us, who have a mild distain for league, the pool part is easy bc most of us are at the top of the food chain. So if your main goal is to play competitive pool vs ppl of equal skill and understanding of the game, league is just not where it's at. Not that it doesn't exist but it won't be there on a consistent enough basis. You're better off matching up or playing a tournament.

However, if you make the social aspect a priority, then you'll get a lot more out of it, and the occasional competitive game with some comradery.

Unfortunately, the majority of leagues are filled w guys who can't hack it. So they jump in the little pond and play big fish. These guys tend to manipulate handicaps, call any minor technical to win (unmarked obvious 8 ball pocket), or are just completely rude to play with. What you and I would consider bottom feeders and nits. This is their pro camel tour, Guinness tour, or DCC.

Relax, sit back, enjoy the company, and don't take the pool part too serious (I mean on yourself). Show off a little, and make it fun for your team. And if one of these a$$ hats beats you and thinks that makes him the WPA champ, so what. It's like those videos of athletes letting the kid w disabilities score a touchdown, make a basket, etc when the games locked up and there's no chance for them to win.

Most them wouldn't like it playing you even, and they would never bet that water is wet playing you banks. You're a iconic figure in the game and most of them couldn't name two pro players named Dennis. It's our job to educate with extreme patience and lower our prideful competitive natures.

Flame on for all the ppl who were offended wo seeing the underlying principle of this post, bc you couldn't even get to the end part. Lol

great post ! just sent you a greenie. its the 1st time a post ever moved me enough to send rep. i had to look up instructins on how to do it lol.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

I hate league, but your post almost makes me want to start playing in it again.

APA needs to hire you...

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It's pool, man, pool.

The game we love.

I am thankful that there are 10 leagues or more in town to play in. Those make for a steady supply of players who want to take the leap to "real" pool at Dog's.

The secret to enjoyment in leagues is being with the right team.

Jeff Livingston

Hustler84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a league player anymore either

I have played in three different leagues, being APA, NAPA, and BCA. Of all of these leagues, I like the BCA format the most. I am at the highest skill level in both 8 and 9 ball in APA, and they always throw a 1 or two on me. So in a race where I have to get to 75 balls, my opponent might need 14. This is not the issue, as I have beaten many of these guys 75-5, 75-6, and so on. The issue is that I have played some players who have a higher skillset than their ranking shows. I had two players have break and runs against me, which takes a little bit of skill. But if they b&r on you, then they only need like 4 balls to win while I need almost 8 b&r's to win. Plus the sitting around all night, staying cold because all of the tables are taken for league. It is tough to get up and just go straight into a match not knowing how the tables are playing, especially if you are playing a player who just got finished playing his other game. Not to mention all of the smoke! It kills me that the place where I play does have smoke-eaters, but they don't help. I had to start carrying eye drops in my case just to get a little relief. I also hate all of the sandbagging that goes on in the local league. I play to the best of my ability every time I step to the table. I would rather lose an honorable set than win a shady one. I am just glad to be done with league. Plus, I was pouring a lot of money into it, only to get nothing back! You can earn a trip to Vegas, but then you have to place so high out there, and my team would not have. I would have been the one too carry us if it did happen, but I joined a team that was there to have fun and didn't care about winning. I like fun, but it is a whole lot more fun winning!!! :D

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate league as well and would never play in another.Maybe some of my reasons strike a chord with you.
1st - I could easily beat 99% of the people in league and found it boring.
2- Alot of the players weren't there for pool but to socialize, which is fine for them but not for me.
3- Never being left alone to enjoy myself.
4- League play hurt my game eventually cause I started getting lazy at the table when playing in a big tourney.In league I knew most would never run out so I actually started playing dumber.
5- Finally, just the thought that I've committed to this weekly torture when I really don't want to be there.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
So, Jay? How did those displaced soccer mom's look? Were they cool in their over-stuffed yoga pants and designer smart phones? :)

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Teams

I'm a team player, but when I step up to the table I like to play -my- best game against my -opponents- best game.

I dislike being advised by a teammate what shot to make or worse, to throw a game. I also dislike time-outs when the opposing team engages in a drawn-out discussion that sometimes approaches the complexity of a mission to Mars.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. After a lifetime of gambling and living in the professional side of pool, I imagine league pool playing with amateurs would be a completely different world for you. I personally like it, I play in a BCAPL 9-foot singles money league. I can't stand the team thing or drunk boxes either. Each week we play a different game, 8, 9 and 10 on a rotational basis. Keeps me competitive and helps me prepare for Tri-state and Predator tournaments. As far as everyone wanting to beat you, I guess it's just a different type of competitiveness that you haven't experienced before. Either that or you're just that much of an introvert :p . I know what you mean, though. I've made a lot of friends in my league, but when we have to play each other in a match, it's all business and we're trying to win. Rankings are done by win percentage, and the top 32 (or 64, I forget) get seeded into our $10,000 added playoffs while everyone else has to play for a wild card spot on the B-side.

swirly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"ostensibly as a sub, but now they want me to play every week. UGH!..."

If you didn't see this coming, you're a bit of a fish ;P....