(S&D) Safety & Defense - The Bridge-required Safety Type

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Another article on a little known type of safety setup.

The mechanical bridge is usually kept underneath the table. It is a little funny-shaped tool attached to the end of a long stick. It is also known as the rake, granny, crutch, ladies aid, sissy stick, etc. It is designed to play a shot that is out of reach of normal stance positions.

Here's the rest of the article:

http://www.billiardgods.com/sd-bridge-required/

Have fun - shoot straight!!

JoeyM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good article. I am one of those that is uncomfortable using a bridge because I may only use once a week or so. I do need to practice with it.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a guy once who kept leaving me the kind of safe in this article. He tried it about 5 times before he realised it wasn't a brilliant idea. I've made centuries with nothing but the rest.

I would never leave someone a pot using the rest, no matter how bad they are with it. In pool when using the rest the chances are the object ball if portable is close to the pocket and the white is close to the object ball, so the pots aren't tough. I'd rather leave a tough angle and distance if I'm to leave a pot on.

Where I can see it having value is when you leave them either kicking or they have to play a safe using the rest. Most people have a hard time judging pace.