Ferrule refacing before tip install, any tips or advice?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering how ya'll go about refacing your ferrules before replacing tips at home? Not sure if refacing is the correct term, if anyone wants to share the correct terminology.

Any good tools to use?

I generally use a file but wasn't happy with how my last install came out.

Thanks in advance.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Facing work really needs a lathe. Doing it by hand will never be perfectly flat.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Ferrule material matters a lot.. I had a cue with ivorine 3 and there is not tool on earth that could face it without chipping... Finally gave up and replaced the entire ferrule..

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Ferrule material matters a lot.. I had a cue with ivorine 3 and there is not tool on earth that could face it without chipping... Finally gave up and replaced the entire ferrule..

As the machinists will chime in and tell you: feed and speed

Also the correct cutter

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had monkeys in pool rooms replacing the tips on my Balabushka until I got smart and asked a cue maker to do it instead. He leaves a tiny layer of the old tip on so there no damage or sanding of the ferrule. Had this done a couple of times and no problems. It's kind of like leaving one of those red pads on the ferrule.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I would think ceramic or diamond would cut it without chipping. Speed and feed!

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for chiming in, I think something like Bob posted would work for me. I don't have a lathe, so I posted in here instead of the cuemaker section as I figured there was some DIY guys who aren't setup for building cues but still change their own tips.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for chiming in, I think something like Bob posted would work for me. I don't have a lathe, so I posted in here instead of the cuemaker section as I figured there was some DIY guys who aren't setup for building cues but still change their own tips.
If you use that cue top sander I showed you, be careful to wrap a piece of sandpaper around your shaft where you attach the clamp part or you will put some nice dents in your shaft when you tighten it down. Works fine for me. GL

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

That sanding tool works great, used it for years and still do.

Chicken Feather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay Fargusson has a couple of videos on YouTube showing how he installed techno duds. I've never tried his method but the end product looks good. It's worth a look anyway. Videos are about 25 minutes. Good luck.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find sending my shafts to Muellers for tip replacement to make the most sense- If you have several shafts just wait and send a few at a time, or just one if that is all you need. Gosh, for a very small fee you get everything done in a complete professional way by the custom cue makers who do the work for them and you also get your shafts fully reconditioned at no extra cost- and the shafts come out perfect! You can choose any tip from a huge selection. Of course, nothing wrong with do it yourself, i do that for many home projects, but I just think that their tip replacement/shaft conditioning is one of the great American bargains!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My simple take on you question is unless you have a small machine shop, find a professional to do it right.

Not all Cue repair people are equal. Get some recommendations from people you trust for their "GUY".

The proper equiptment is an expensive proposition, unless your starting a small business, yourself.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i just cut the tip off with a the razor, leaves it bout as flat as it was before which is good enough for holding a tip
dont have to have a lathe to do these things

but my cues arent expensive collectables.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind paying, especially if getting work done on a nicer cue. I am just retipping some one piece house cues and a couple beater bar cues, so doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd still like to do a decent job.
Usually comes out ok, but got a little careless with the file the last go around.

I appreciate everyone's comments, I'll check out Jay's videos too.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had monkeys in pool rooms replacing the tips on my Balabushka until I got smart and asked a cue maker to do it instead. He leaves a tiny layer of the old tip on so there no damage or sanding of the ferrule. Had this done a couple of times and no problems. It's kind of like leaving one of those red pads on the ferrule.

This! x 1000

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Facing work really needs a lathe. Doing it by hand will never be perfectly flat.

This is absolutely true but I haven't bothered in years. I use the box cutter as gingerly as possible then finish with a few rotations against a flat file. Duro UC Gel completes the trick.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re-tipping and sanding down a ferrule by hand with that device is WAY EASIER than most imagine. It's not rocket science...just try on a few cheap cues to start, and you will figure it out. I've done at least a dozen recently that all play absolutely perfect.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
It's also satisfying, and can be done at your whim in your home
and not have drive out and wait on a repair guy