This Day In History 3/19/54 - Mosconi Runs 526

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Willie play in an manufacture exhibition in Chicago around 1980, he ran 45 + balls,, split the pocket, never missed, and then stopped to talk to the 20 or so fans. He was very smooth despite having some earlier health issues.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m still pleased that I got to play on that table in ‘68
....at the urging of Russ Maddox

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that! Always nice to look back at great things during troubled current events. I remember spending 15 minutes alone with Willie a few years prior to his death. I arrived very early at a venue for some trick shots that he was planning and he was there, alone, testing the table using just the cue ball and his cue. He showed me how he was measuring the table for consistency from diamond to diamond and speed; in order to set up the shots to work most consistently. Sadly, he died a few years later; one day prior to my 40th birthday.
I find the fact that he was considered good enough at age 6 to be considered for billiard exhibition play to be most astonishing! Also having 4 runs of 125 and OUT in COMPETITIVE blocks in a single tournament a true testament to his pure firepower in the game of straights. We have no idea where each of those runs could have ended- and this was against the very best the world had to offer at that time.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m still pleased that I got to play on that table in ‘68
....at the urging of Russ Maddox

How much did it cost you? :D
Russ was a notorious hustler. He played pretty good cards too, just don't let him deal. ;)
Last I heard he was in Florida entertaining people in Senior Centers. I think he passed away maybe ten years back.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When this subject comes up, I always think about our late, but well respected, AZB poster OLDHASBEEN, who also saw that table well over fifty years ago. Upon taking note of how loose the pockets were, he opined that "the most impressive thing about Mosconi's run was that he never scratched." LOL