Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page This is why we can't have nice things
Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-26-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcuer View Post
It doesn't make any sense...who is going to throw away their time and money on one tournament on a hunch they might be able to make more money in another tournament?

Especially, considering how low the prize money for any pool tournaments (even the 'big' ones) are.
It doesn't make sense to trim a $3 baseball card to make it a $6 dollar card, but people do.

Old
  (#17)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
It runs deeper than that. I (at least in theory, as I haven't competed for fifteen years) can manipulate my own Fargo and use it when I match up in action. If my real speed is 690 but my Fargo is 625, I will mention my Fargo anytime I negotiate a game.

At a place like Derby City, where getting information on randomly encountered prospective action opponents isn't always easy, having an artificially low Fargo can be a decided advantage. People bet real high at the Derby, so it can be well worth it.
Tuff to sneak-up on people anymore especially at DCC. They all know how just about everybody plays and in the action room those guys don't give a rodent's behind about Fargo.

Old
  (#18)
newcuer
AzB Silver Member
newcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 10:33 AM

So people are working their 40 hours a week job which for most is not of great joy. So on top of that, they play in weekly tournaments (drive there and take time being there) where they purposely sandbag in something I presume they enjoy as a hobby but not that they are sandbagging, probably don't enjoy.

All to...wait for one to four times a year to play at an advantage??? Doesn't sound like fun nor very profitable.

Why not just take all that time sandbagging the weekly tournaments and get a part time job where you don't just increase you chances of winning but are guaranteed of getting money?

Old
  (#19)
sbpoolleague
AzB Silver Member
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
Players are gaming the Fargo ratings with dumping cheaper events to cash easier in the larger tournaments. I am beginning to think this whole idea of a fair handicapped tournament or league does not exist due to cheaters. Someone always finds a way no matter how you try to make handicapping fair. I may be down to playing in one tournament that is not handicapped and charity stuff.

Probably the only fair way to do handicaps is if you get assigned a handicap by the person that is running the tournament that knows how you play in relation to others there. Aside from that, those that cheat win, automated systems rely on good information, which many seem to be against giving.
Prove it. I call BULLSHIT.

Old
  (#20)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 11:03 AM

Here is a thought.
Before you enter a handicapped tournament
make a vow to yourself to not complain
about it.

-I am entering a handicapped tournament.
-No system or tournament director is perfect.
-No one is above playing a terrible set.
-No one is below playing a great set.
-Everyone can get a bad roll at anytime.
-I will do my best.
-I will not complain about anyones handicap.

I have beat some of the best in the country
in open tournaments.( maybe I played well, maybe
they had a bad set.) Just because they are
without a doubt more consistent, more knowledgeable,
and just better than me doesnt mean I cant win
once in a while.
Conversely, I have lost MANY times to those
I feel I'm better than.

Do your best.
Accept the flaws in any system.
No need to berate the system, player, or td.

Or as you said, dont play.

yeah you are sandbagging
Old
  (#21)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

yeah you are sandbagging - 09-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
That's what we used to do, remember?

How did that work out?

Can you give an example of people dumping? Many times in league play I'm tired and not in the mood to play due to a long day. Then I have a shot of whiskey and I really don't care much what happens next. Banging balls with friends is all it is to me at that point. I lose a LOT of games I wouldn't under different circumstances due to it but that's not dumping. And a huge percentage of my fargo scores comes from league. So I go to an afternoon tournament that I care about and destroy a couple players who are 20 points higher than me am I a sandbagger?

Yeah, you are sandbagging. If you don't play your very best any time you are being rated you are sandbagging. I have to laugh thinking about how it would be if my old play was rated. I had one speed for dates and friends, another for local small time hustlers, yet another for road players. Rate all of that!

You do hit on a real issue, league is a lot different from even a weekly or monthly tournament. Somebody that plays league as a social event may be a whole nuther bear when they pay a hundred dollar entry fee.

Hu

Old
  (#22)
Pete
AzB Silver Member
Pete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicane View Post
Never understood cheating. Your integrity is about all you have.
true, I concur...

Old
  (#23)
sbpoolleague
AzB Silver Member
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
I (at least in theory, as I haven't competed for fifteen years)...... BLAH BLAH BLAH
In other words, "I have no idea what I am talking about, but I will give you my utterly worthless opinion anyway"

Last edited by sbpoolleague; 09-26-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Old
  (#24)
newcuer
AzB Silver Member
newcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Accusations of sandbagging does get out of hand. In APA, on a couple of nights where I have played well, I have been accused of sandbagging. Never was though..just played better that night.

Old
  (#25)
DelawareDogs
I Support Law Enforcement
DelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
Yeah, you are sandbagging. If you don't play your very best any time you are being rated you are sandbagging. I have to laugh thinking about how it would be if my old play was rated. I had one speed for dates and friends, another for local small time hustlers, yet another for road players. Rate all of that!

You do hit on a real issue, league is a lot different from even a weekly or monthly tournament. Somebody that plays league as a social event may be a whole nuther bear when they pay a hundred dollar entry fee.

Hu
Yep, and on the other side of that coin, someone who dominates the league talent may be a whole nuther artist When the whole rail starts watching and the calcutta hits 5 figures.

Old
  (#26)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 11:33 AM

I wouldn't be surprised but my experience in handicapped tournaments - 9 ball only - if there is a high level player in the event he outruns the handicap and wins.

For me I'd grind as hard as I can regardless of the payout because there is no guarantee you will cash in a big event.

Old
  (#27)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-26-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Tuff to sneak-up on people anymore especially at DCC. They all know how just about everybody plays and in the action room those guys don't give a rodent's behind about Fargo.
On the contrary, there are new faces every year in the action room and some of them are a little under the radar. The easiest way to get at least some info on an unknown opponent is to look up their Fargo, which takes about a minute.

Old
  (#28)
9 Ball Fan
Darth Maximus
9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute9 Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Just play each other even, and be done with it.

Favorite Cues:
Meucci Pro Series
1990s Viking

Old
  (#29)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 Ball Fan View Post
Just play each other even, and be done with it.
Yep. Getting your arse handed to you will accomplish one of two things...Either you'll quit, or get better.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#30)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2019, 12:20 PM

Every sandbagger in the country should be on their way to
Griffs.
$1000 entry
580? and below.
This is what you've trained for!!!!

Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: