Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page TWO-RAIL KICKS … Everything You Need to Know
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-04-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
The first shot is coming into the 2nd rail at a steep angle. The second shot is coming into the 1st rail at a steep angle. Both are relative to the benchmark shot with the midpoint line at the 45 degree angle along the corner-side diagonal.

Does that make sense? If not, let me know. It might also help to watch the entire video again. I cover what the steepness means, but I know I have a lot of info packed into the video, so it is easy to miss stuff with only 1 or 2 viewings.

Regards,
Dave
Okay, that makes sense (steep to the 2nd rail on the first shot and steep to the 1st rail on the second shot). What about the 3rd shot? You said that it is coming into the 2nd rail at a steep angle, but it’s close to 45, maybe more, but not like the first shot.. Is anything more than 45 considered ‘steep‘ by the video?

I need a timestamp on your steep definition, I guess.

Either way, great job as always.

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#17)
Chili Palmer
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-04-2020, 08:59 AM

Excellent video as always. I, like many, have been using this for a while but have had to use feel to figure out how to make adjustments. As much as it hasn't all sunk in yet, it gives me something to work on in regards to the steeper angles, etc.

More importantly, when working with others I won't have to say "This is one of those things you just have to get a feel for"

Thanks for everything. We really do appreciate everything you do.

P.S. I still think you pivoted a bit around the 2:56 mark

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#18)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

07-04-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Quote:
The first shot is coming into the 2nd rail at a steep angle. The second shot is coming into the 1st rail at a steep angle. Both are relative to the benchmark shot with the midpoint line at the 45 degree angle along the corner-side diagonal.

Does that make sense? If not, let me know. It might also help to watch the entire video again. I cover what the steepness means, but I know I have a lot of info packed into the video, so it is easy to miss stuff with only 1 or 2 viewings.

Regards,
Dave
Okay, that makes sense (steep to the 2nd rail on the first shot and steep to the 1st rail on the second shot). What about the 3rd shot? You said that it is coming into the 2nd rail at a steep angle, but it’s close to 45, maybe more, but not like the first shot.. Is anything more than 45 considered ‘steep‘ by the video?

I need a timestamp on your steep definition, I guess.
steep: greater than 45 degrees

The steeper it is, the more you need to adjust with aim and/or spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Either way, great job as always.
Thanks.

Catch you later,
Dave

Old
  (#19)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

07-04-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
Excellent video as always.
Thanks.

Quote:
I, like many, have been using this for a while but have had to use feel to figure out how to make adjustments. As much as it hasn't all sunk in yet, it gives me something to work on in regards to the steeper angles, etc.

More importantly, when working with others I won't have to say "This is one of those things you just have to get a feel for"
There are many things in pool that require "feel," but there are also many things where a little "understanding" and "knowledge" can go a long way.

Quote:
Thanks for everything. We really do appreciate everything you do.
You're welcome. I aim to swerve.

Quote:
P.S. I still think you pivoted a bit around the 2:56 mark
I agree that it looks like I did. I was so focused on getting to the right spot for the camera, I might have cheated a little. If you look at most of my other parallel shifts in the video, they look much better.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#20)
Chili Palmer
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

07-04-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks.

You're welcome

There are many things in pool that require "feel," but there are also many things where a little "understanding" and "knowledge" can go a long way.

Agreed, especially when trying to explain it to others.

You're welcome. I aim to swerve.

I agree that it looks like I did. I was so focused on getting to the right spot for the camera, I might have cheated a little. If you look at most of my other parallel shifts in the video, they look much better.

On YouTube you mentioned you were probably readjusting because you pivoted prior to that, I honestly think that's what happened. I'm just razzing you.

Regards,
Dave
Thanks again.

LOOK BELOW...

Sorry
Old
  (#21)
goin2bepro
AzB Silver Member
goin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond reputegoin2bepro has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - 07-04-2020, 02:59 PM

If you can't figure this out without a youtube video....you're a moron.

Quote:
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating a very useful system for aiming two-rail kick shot called the midpoint-parallel-shift system. Unlike with many kick shot diamond systems, it works for any CB and OB locations on the table, and it doesn’t matter which rail you hit first. The best thing of all is no diamonds or diamond numbering or calculations are required. Check it out:

Topics covered [with timestamp links] include:

Intro [0:00]
1 - System [1:01]
---- 1a - adjusting for tendency to go long [1:58]
---- 1b - careful parallel shift [2:34]
---- 1c - finding the midpoint carefully [3:01]
---- 1d - aim adjustment amount [3:35]
2 - Effects [4:39]
---- 2a - spin [5:19]
---- 2b - speed [5:41]
---- 2c - OB distance from 2nd cushion [6:00]
---- 2d - steeper angle into 2nd cushion [6:15]
---- 2e - steeper angle into 1st cushion [8:06]
---- 2f - effects summary [8:47]
3 - Examples [9:32]
---- 3a - kick safe [10:23]
---- 3b - pocketing wired combo [12:15]
---- 3c - pocketing a hanger [12:54]
4 - Summary [13:33]
---- 4a - video montage of shots [14:27]

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

Old
  (#22)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

07-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2bepro View Post
If you can't figure this out without a youtube video....you're a moron.
I agree that people "could" figure this stuff out on their own. But there aren't many that actually "would." That doesn't make them morons. Not everybody has the patience and analytical mind necessary to figure out and separate all the effects and factors.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#23)
Tennesseejoe
AzB Silver Member
Tennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2020, 02:31 PM

Dave, this is awesome. I have system but it fades in certain areas, especially in the open table. Yours really helps me..Many thanks.

Joe Johann

"Man can neither love nor hate what he does not know." Cicero

Old
  (#24)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

07-06-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseejoe View Post
Dave, this is awesome. I have system but it fades in certain areas, especially in the open table. Yours really helps me..Many thanks.

Joe Johann
I'm glad to hear it.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#25)
chas1022
AzB Silver Member
chas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond repute

07-13-2020, 01:54 AM

When someone takes the time to put information like this out for free should be appreciated by everyone even if you don’t use it. Thanks DR.Dave

Old
  (#26)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

07-13-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1022 View Post
When someone takes the time to put information like this out for free should be appreciated by everyone even if you don’t use it.
You should tell that to the YouTube trolls. It used to bother me when people clicked on the thumbs-down button on a video that I worked hard on and thought was good stuff (and free). Now I just have pity for them (and the people in their lives), realizing the type of people they must be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1022 View Post
Thanks DR.Dave
You're welcome. Thanks for watching and commenting.

Best regards,
Dave

Outstanding!!
Old
  (#27)
Jds.3211
Jds.3211
Jds.3211 is on a distinguished road

Outstanding!! - 07-25-2020, 07:51 AM

Dr Dave,

Outstanding and simple to use! Made two crowd impressing safety escapes in league play this week using it!

Your info is always outstanding, but sometimes the calculations are tough to remember and use in a game situation without hours of familiarization and practice. This works like a champ after a few practice shots!!

Thanks for this and all you do for our sport!!

John

Old
  (#28)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

07-25-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jds.3211 View Post
Dr Dave,

Outstanding and simple to use! Made two crowd impressing safety escapes in league play this week using it!

Your info is always outstanding, but sometimes the calculations are tough to remember and use in a game situation without hours of familiarization and practice. This works like a champ after a few practice shots!!

Thanks for this and all you do for our sport!!

John
Thank you ... and you're welcome. I'm glad you put it to good use.

Regards,
Dave

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: