one pocket shot that I cant seem to make anymore

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member

CueTable Help

There is a slow motion video somewhere on the internet that shows how this shot works, I just came seem to find it. After watching that video a few years ago I used to be able to make this shot a high percentage of the time. I cant seem to make it work anymore so I thought I would post it.

Your supposed to hit the shot firm with a tip of follow. The OB compresses into the rail as the CB hits the titty. As the OB rebounds towards the whole, the titty sends the CB to the side rail where the OB used to be. In the slow motion video the balls barely miss each other by a hair. If done incorrectly you will be getting a double kiss, or a scratch. Lately I have been scratching on every attmept.

I found the video again http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_speed_videos/new/HSVB-11.htm

I think I have been shooting this bank with the cue ball to close to the end rail.

Last edited:

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I really want to say that shot is on dr dave's site... it's probably an HSV titled video. i'll see if i can find it.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I changed my original post to include the video for informative purposes. I loved this shot because many dont know it so they do not guard against it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If this is the shot I think you're talking about, it is a standard trick shot. The cue ball has to be moved to the spot. You get out of the scratch by rattling in the pocket. Hit it firmly with draw.

This shot is illustrated in Robert Byrne's "Treasury of Trick Shots in Pool and Billiards" on page 150. It is called "The No Scratch One Pocket Bank."

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hit the shot firmly with CENTER CUE BALL, not follow

[...WEI table snipped to save screen-reading real estate...]

There is a slow motion video somewhere on the internet that shows how this shot works, I just came seem to find it. After watching that video a few years ago I used to be able to make this shot a high percentage of the time. I cant seem to make it work anymore so I thought I would post it.

Your supposed to hit the shot firm with a tip of follow. The OB compresses into the rail as the CB hits the titty. As the OB rebounds towards the whole, the titty sends the CB to the side rail where the OB used to be. In the slow motion video the balls barely miss each other by a hair. If done incorrectly you will be getting a double kiss, or a scratch. Lately I have been scratching on every attmept.

The problem is this (bolded above). You're NOT supposed to hit that shot with a tip of follow. Hit it center ball. And I mean DEAD center ball. Firmly. You want that cue ball sliding upon impact with the object ball, so that the 90-degree sliding cueball carom rule takes effect, not the 30-degree rolling cueball carom rule. You want that cue ball to come off that tangent line with as much an angle as you can to avoid the corner pocket. That's probably why you're scratching -- the tip of follow ensures a rolling cue ball, and you're caroming off the object at less an angle you want, scratching right into the pocket.

This is one of my FAVORITE one-pocket shots. My opponents know not to leave this for me -- it's just about a hanger when you're comfortable with the technique.

Hope this is helpful!
-Sean