Anniversary project

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of drop pockets are you planning on installing?

My budget is pretty limited right now, I will probably reinstall the old existing pocket I have. For the futur I was entertaining the idea of installing a ball return system but I'm not sure anymore...

I guess the answer to your question is "I dont know yet" but I'm really open to suggestions.

BTW my casting do not have the relief cut to receive the bolt on pocket, which I prefer over the nailed variety. Did you ever see those casting modified to receive the bolt on pocket ?

Thanks

Martin

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
My budget is pretty limited right now, I will probably reinstall the old existing pocket I have. For the futur I was entertaining the idea of installing a ball return system but I'm not sure anymore...

I guess the answer to your question is "I dont know yet" but I'm really open to suggestions.

BTW my casting do not have the relief cut to receive the bolt on pocket, which I prefer over the nailed variety. Did you ever see those casting modified to receive the bolt on pocket ?

Thanks

Martin
Other than trading out the castings for the castings that screw the pockets it, you're not getting out of nailing the pockets in. The frame supports you added are going to be in the way of a ball return being mounted, and if you're thinking about using the GC4 drop pockets, you're still going to need to cut back your frame in the side pockets and corners by an inch to make room to mount them. That is why I asked.

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than trading out the castings for the castings that screw the pockets it, you're not getting out of nailing the pockets in. The frame supports you added are going to be in the way of a ball return being mounted, and if you're thinking about using the GC4 drop pockets, you're still going to need to cut back your frame in the side pockets and corners by an inch to make room to mount them. That is why I asked.

Thanks for the feedback. What is the difference beetween the regular pockets and the GC4 ones other than (I think) being deeper ? Knowing they are taking more space, I can cut my frame off before I put the slates on. By the way, my actual pockets cut-out are not necessarely as the original since a built the top of my frame from scratch and pretty much eyeballed the pockets cutout. I cut them roughly 1-1/2"-2" behind the slate cutout.

I was asking for the casting because I never saw a picture of the inside of one of those casting and I was curious to see how they looks.

As for the ball return, too bad . It was a fun possibilty but not really a necessity for me.

Martin

Last edited:

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
I might be able to help with trading for your casting and gc4 pockets... where in Québec are you located?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I might be able to help with trading for your casting and gc4 pockets... where in Québec are you located?

Now that I'm not so tired, I had to rethink that trading out the pocket castings, won't work unless you modify the rails to mount the pocket casting as the two castings mount to the ends of the rails completely different.

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hello Kid

I'm in Sherbrooke, not far from you. Thank you for the offer, I'll keep it in mind

Thanks

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks outstanding Martin! Here is a pic of one my Anniversary pockets with the screw on pocket insert. I don’t know for sure, but it looks like your pocket-to-rail attachment hardware is the same. The bolts that attach the pocket castings comes up at a 45 degree angle into the rail hardware just like yours, with the only difference I see is that recess and threaded insert in the casting for the pocket attachment screw.

2b73233e11ec0f334d837a5507f15b24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that I'm not so tired, I had to rethink that trading out the pocket castings, won't work unless you modify the rails to mount the pocket casting as the two castings mount to the ends of the rails completely different.

If I understand I may have to stick with my pockets without emboss, unless I can have my casting machined to accomodate the emboss. But since I never saw the other type of casting I have no idea what is involved or if it's even possible.

Thanks again

Martin

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks outstanding Martin! Here is a pic of one my Anniversary pockets with the screw on pocket insert. I don’t know for sure, but it looks like your pocket-to-rail attachment hardware is the same, with the only difference I see is that recess and threaded insert in the casting for the pocket attachment screw.

2b73233e11ec0f334d837a5507f15b24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Lawn boy

You have posted while I was typing my last post. I agree with you that the onyly visible difference I see is the recess and threaded hole, but I may be completly wrong, I'll let the experts comment.

But if it's really the only difference, I may be able to have my casting modified by a machinist friend, but it's still a long shot.

Later today I'll post a picture of my rails and casting together to feed the discussion.

Very interesting discussion guys, thanks again

Martin

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is pictures of my rails and castings and before you say it, I know that my rail facing is too short and should be extended up to the back of the featherstrip :wink:. I will have to remake them or at least extend them.

As I said for now I will probably stick with my old pockets and rethink the whole thing. I will have to dismantle the table again next year to finish my basement floor and I can take this opportunity to make any modification if needed.

Your input guys is greatly appreciated and will help me to take my decision for sure.

Martin

DSCN7654.jpg

DSCN7655.jpg

DSCN7656.jpg

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here is pictures of my rails and castings and before you say it, I know that my rail facing is too short and should be extended up to the back of the featherstrip :wink:. I will have to remake them or at least extend them.

As I said for now I will probably stick with my old pockets and rethink the whole thing. I will have to dismantle the table again next year to finish my basement floor and I can take this opportunity to make any modification if needed.

Your input guys is greatly appreciated and will help me to take my decision for sure.

Martin

View attachment 521026

View attachment 521027

View attachment 521028

Yeah, you don't have the older castings that have 2 screws coming up from the bottom into the bottom of the rails and a 1/4" bolt mounting the casting to the end of the rails, so yes, yours can be exchanged, you have the newer/old castings which is when the fig 8 nut plate first got started.

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, you don't have the older castings that have 2 screws coming up from the bottom into the bottom of the rails and a 1/4" bolt mounting the casting to the end of the rails, so yes, yours can be exchanged, you have the newer/old castings which is when the fig 8 nut plate first got started.

Thanks RKC, that's good news. Do you know the purpose of the 3 small holes on each side of the casting ? On my previous table (snooker anniversary) there was still some pieces of strings into those holes.

Martin

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Final update

Hello Guys

I'm done on my project and enjoy playing pool since around June20th. I'm really happy wth the result even if it's not perfect. For a first time experience, I'm satisfied. Enjoy the pictures :

Some Aluminum polishing, I will probably retouch it donw the road, the result is not as bright as I would like :

01DSCN7687.jpg

Random picture of the recovery, after some trial and error I've been able to stretch it properly. BTW, the Simonis DVD has been invaluable.

1aDSCN7660.jpg

1bDSCN7664.jpg

1cDSCN7665.jpg

Rail has been a nice challenge. Stapling is not perfect but ok. i have some stretch shadow under the cushion, I cannot really see why exactly

2DSCN7682.jpg

Last edited:

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3DSCN7680.jpg

4DSCN7679.jpg

I had barely enough cloth to make the pocket liners, they are a little short, I've also fit and nailed my old pocket.

5aDSCN7715.jpg

5bDSCN7716.jpg

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rails final result with MOP installed
5DSCN7703.jpg

Ball rack, I've also made veneered back panel.

6DSCN7705.jpg

Taping and pinstriping :

DSCN7707.jpg

Final result :

DSCN7717.jpg

DSCN7719 (2).jpg

Again I would like to thank the great contibutors on this forum for all the good advices and encouragement. Without you, this project would have been impossible.

Thanks again

Martin

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hats off to you sir! Great job and ENJOY that beautiful piece of Billiards History!

Trent from Toledo:thumbup: