Can i make a ball from here?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are many shots from the stack. Byrne covers a lot of them. But in the pictures you can bank the 5 in one and cut it in the other.
Here is a shot from a full rack for the opening break. It's claimed that Mosconi used to play it in exhibitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJrZaTb13I

There's also a video around of a European player playing the head ball straight into the side in the European Championships, but I can't find it right now.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Here is a shot from a full rack for the opening break. It's claimed that Mosconi used to play it in exhibitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJrZaTb13I

There's also a video around of a European player playing the head ball straight into the side in the European Championships, but I can't find it right now.

That's a great shot, i've succesfully used it several times. though you better be sure the rack is good and tight and not tilted.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I resized the pics for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• received_2219613284947982.jpeg
    received_2219613284947982.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 223
  • received_277462566525928.jpeg
    received_277462566525928.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 220

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many shots from the stack. Byrne covers a lot of them. But in the pictures you can bank the 5 in one and cut it in the other.

Are you referring to banking the 5 in the corner or back to the side? If corner, won't the balls coming out of the rack get in the way?

And I would probably try banking that 1 back to the side and coming off the end rail into the stack.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chili Palmer, can you please change your profile pic? Everytime I see it I can't scroll fast enough.

The options allow you to turn off all profile pics. I think you will be able to maintain higher opinions of the people here if you do that.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great point Bob, but I would like to add that if he, or anyone else, holds a low opinion of me based on my avatar then maybe they need to do a little research about my true feelings of said avatar or get a bit thicker skin.

I also think this should have been via PM so we don't clutter up this thread. I will not reply to any further comments in this thread regarding my avatar.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never had an opinion of you based on your avatar because I have no idea who you are or what your opinions of the person on the avatar is. I just can't stand seeing or hearing that person speak. But thanks to Bob for letting me know about the option to turn avatars off.

And with that I learned two things in this thread. The other was a video of a non safety break. It never ceases to surprise me that someone shows up with anew video for reference.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The angle shown in the photo with the break shot on the 5-ball here, looks like a sharp cut in the side pocket would be a possibility? Obviously high risk, as the cue ball would obliterate the pack for your opponent, if you missed! From the limited perspective/angle of the photo shown, it's just impossible to tell how sharp a cut that would be, but even if it's virtually a maximum edge to edge cut shot, I'd prefer it to banking the 5-ball in either the opposite side or corner pocket.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
IMO you're asking the wrong question, it should be "should" instead of "can". But if you do have a cut into the side, you could do that. Looks like the free Object ball (5ball) is blocking the head ball bank, which would otherwise be a possibility. On the shot with the free ball (1ball) along the rail, the head ball bank also seems to maybe be blocked, but the bank on the one with outside to go two rails into the corner of the stack is better. A more risky shot would be the spin transfer bank on the 15. Hitting that ball with inside, should bank it to the corner on Your right. For a decent player, on a table he knows, it should definitely not be any worse than a 50/50 shot under ideal circumstances, especially from this Close, however, it's absolutely vital that the balls be racked correctly. The real odds will be drastically impacted by many factors. Any imperfections in the back row or balls adjacent to the 15 can cause you to miss. In a situation where there has been safety play, even if the rack has not actually been skimmed by the cueball, you should always check the rack before a shot of this nature. If someone bumps the table, indirectly disturbing the balls or they slide apart on their own, this shot may no longer be on.

Last edited: