Sky Woodward - Record "24" ?

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve practiced Bert Kinister’s version of this drill and if Sky got 24 the way described above; amazing

Bert’s version (for mortals) is to do spot shots with the goal of shooting with the speed to land the CB in between a specified set of diamonds. It’s possible to make a spot shot and land the CB within the front 2 diamonds.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve practiced Bert Kinister’s version of this drill and if Sky got 24 the way described above; amazing

Bert’s version (for mortals) is to do spot shots with the goal of shooting with the speed to land the CB in between a specified set of diamonds. It’s possible to make a spot shot and land the CB within the front 2 diamonds.

I meant to say it’s possible to land the CB ONE diamond from the end rail. This is a good drill for speed control.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Bob.

I’m sure you have, sir, but just in case not: Have you read Fast Company by Jon Bradshaw? The author spent several months traveling with six of the world’s most charismatic gamblers, including Rudolph Wanderone and Titanic Thompson. It is superbly written, an absolute joy to read.

Best wishes,
RC.

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bar Box Spot Shots

With a full room watching... cue ball on the head spot and object ball on the foot spot...I made 139 cuts to the corner without scratching. I had 3 team mates spot the balls after I made them. Valley Bar Box in 1994.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not a natural scratch

With a full room watching... cue ball on the head spot and object ball on the foot spot...I made 139 cuts to the corner without scratching. I had 3 team mates spot the balls after I made them. Valley Bar Box in 1994.

When I went into a place and people wouldn't bet a few dollars or a beer on a game I often started shooting headspot to footspot shots. Not shooting them too well. Before long it wasn't unusual for three or four guys to be wanting to show me how it was done. At a dollar apiece a shot the money was respectable. Three to one odds on your money when you were shooting was nice too.

I always emphasized that the ball had to be pocketed without a scratch. It was amazing how many ways they would find to scratch when the shot wasn't a scratch shot to begin with!:thumbup:

Hu

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If the table is level, felt clean, balls clean and not out of round (from wear/over cleaning), shooting a spot shot and cue ball stopping 1.5 diamonds before it gets to foot rail is not difficult after a little practice.

As you said, it's a very good way to practice touch shots with distance.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
100 I believe. Thats a far cry from 1000+
If someone spends most of their spare time on a pool table shooting spot shots, they might get pretty good at it. Some people could throw coins into the slot of a pay phone (when those antiques still existed). And you may want to review Smorgassbored's story about the guy who knocked over the head pin on a bowling lane by throwing one card at a time from a standard deck of 52.

And the 1000+ was a personal record and not a standard challenge. One of the witnesses said he frequently ran 200 or 300.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
If someone spends most of their spare time on a pool table shooting spot shots, they might get pretty good at it. Some people could throw coins into the slot of a pay phone (when those antiques still existed). And you may want to review Smorgassbored's story about the guy who knocked over the head pin on a bowling lane by throwing one card at a time from a standard deck of 52.

Throwing coins into a slot of a payphone. If I sat there all day throwing quarters at it, I'm sure one will go in. Like the spot shot record, it's consistency that makes this impressive, not luck. Throw 3 in a row into the pay phone... that's incredible but I doubt its possible.

And the 1000+ was a personal record and not a standard challenge. One of the witnesses said he frequently ran 200 or 300.

300 I believe, especially after seeing that girl go on that spot shot run in that training video that was posted not too long ago. (She ran 140, video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDz9Hqj9KUU&feature=youtu.be) 1000+, still dont believe it.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool to have the stories and tall tales like this for pool and life in general. It challenges people to push the boundaries of what is possible and what isn't.

There are no videos of Mosconi shooting the 526 but I believe it did happen, and that pushed John to beat that record. Like that record though, there has to be some type of belief for someone to want to go after it and try to beat it. You tell me 1000+ spot shots... that's insane and not believable, but it makes me want to see how many I can do... then sadly give up after not getting past 4 on multiple attempts.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
1000 doesn’t seem outrageous to me, if there’s someone known to be a spot shot fiend and that’s his thing I believe he might actually take the time to do that. As has been stated before if the shots are all to the same pocket a groove starts to form making a path right to the pocket and the ball can be hit a little off and still get in the groove and go.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1000 doesn’t seem outrageous to me, if there’s someone known to be a spot shot fiend and that’s his thing I believe he might actually take the time to do that. As has been stated before if the shots are all to the same pocket a groove starts to form making a path right to the pocket and the ball can be hit a little off and still get in the groove and go.

I don't believe in the groove.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the table is level, felt clean, balls clean and not out of round (from wear/over cleaning), shooting a spot shot and cue ball stopping 1.5 diamonds before it gets to foot rail is not difficult after a little practice.

Wtf? Without hitting the foot rail, or drawing into the side rail first...or adding non-standard diamonds to the table?

This I gotta see.

Just so we are on the same page, how many diamonds does a standard table have, from foot spot to foot rail?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
practice

Back when they were a lot more common my uncle could throw thumb tacks accurately and stick them in a cork board. Back in the days of tube TV's he ran a one man TV and radio shop. He might have been as lonely as the Maytag man.

Years ago there would be a booth at the state fair to throw nickels on glassware and keep the glassware. I helped a friend win cases and cases. Groove in a toss like a free throw and even the moving targets became just a matter of timing. Then the booth went to dimes. Twice as much for each throw but the main thing was that it was much much harder to throw a dime accurately than a nickel.

I have never lost betting against the pay phone toss. I did usually let drunken cowboys talk me into that bet and from at least ten feet away. I have heard of several people that could toss a dime from twenty feet but never ran into them. Back then you never ever bet that proposition with someone that had been a jail trustee.

Hu

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I don't believe in the groove.

I can’t say it’s 100% but it seems reasonable, only because I start seeing a line after 10 or 15 shots set up with donuts..I can only imagine that gets more and more intense as you get into the hundos.

Maybe I’ll actually try sometime...but not on my table lol. I’ve got peaks and valleys and rubble to contend with right now

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm assuming you mean head rail. If you really mean foot rail, you got action

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played one shot enough to make a groove and benefit from it. Try shooting a shot 1000 times. Same cue ball, same object ball, and arrange nappy cloth if possible.

Your Jedi mind tricks are ineffective on me, good sir.

I say, no. No, no, no.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your Jedi mind tricks are ineffective on me, good sir.

I say, no. No, no, no.
I know what you're thinking. (But you knew that.) It's hard to find nappy cloth these days. Just get some of that spray-on snow for Xmas trees and cover the bed cloth with a light coating. No need to get it on the rails and you really only need to spray the path of the cue ball and object ball. Try it. You'll thank me later.:thumbup:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what you're thinking. (But you knew that.) It's hard to find nappy cloth these days. Just get some of that spray-on snow for Xmas trees and cover the bed cloth with a light coating. No need to get it on the rails and you really only need to spray the path of the cue ball and object ball. Try it. You'll thank me later.:thumbup:

Toottoot!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190619-123507.jpg
    Screenshot_20190619-123507.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 408