bfriesth
Bolder
bfriesth is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

06-11-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
hey guys;

went to the pool hall yest and my good buddy and reg doubles partner, Dennis, came up to me with a box of Hyatt Bicents in very nice used condition asking if I knew what the value was. I think I do have a general idea but there are much better informed ball collectors in this thread who could be more precise, I'm sure.

So...

no sugar coating, just the facts.

What would you guys say the successful sale price could be for these as opposed to the pie-in-the-sky-kidding-oneself-it'll-never-sell-for-price?

He is interested to sell these, btw.

here's a few pics for reference and thanks for the assist.

best,
brian kc
Just got a set of Bicentennials yesterday. I found them on eBay for $299. Claimed to be new but when they arrived I had my doubts. After a quick polish, though, they may be new. They look very good other than a very slight nick on the 12 ball. I like 'em.

Name:  IMG_5532.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  151.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5534.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  93.6 KB

Pool ball collecting.
Old
  (#1262)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member
K2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Pool ball collecting. - 06-11-2019, 06:31 PM

A very, very nice looking set of the
1776 Bicentennial 1976 Limited Edition Hyatts with a Liberty Bell cue ball that looks pristine, Mr bfriesth!

So - are you going to play those beauties or just stand there and ogle them all day and night upon a sweet shelf in your pool room, sir - like our good friend and fellow phenolic fanatic, Rubik’s Cube?

Thanks for sharing, bfriesth - these always take me back to the first day I saw them as a youngster back in SD playing on “snow days” and are in my Top 10 favorites of all time.

~ K.

Old
  (#1263)
bfriesth
Bolder

06-12-2019, 07:11 AM

It was you, Mr. K, in a post or a PM that said your collection is meant to be played. I have adapted that same strategy. I enjoy having some historical sets. I like my Burt Clay and my old Brunswick. I'm also going to keep my eye out for a couple more such as the Zig Zag and the Direct but the others I intend to use. If they are playable I'm going to play them.

Old
  (#1264)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfriesth View Post
Just got a set of Bicentennials yesterday. I found them on eBay for $299. Claimed to be new but when they arrived I had my doubts. After a quick polish, though, they may be new. They look very good other than a very slight nick on the 12 ball. I like 'em.

Attachment 522439

Attachment 522440
great looking set of hyatt bicents.

thanks for showing them.

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Pool ball collecting.
Old
  (#1265)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member
K2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond repute

Pool ball collecting. - 06-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfriesth View Post
It was you, Mr. K, in a post or a PM that said your collection is meant to be played. I have adapted that same strategy. I enjoy having some historical sets. I like my Burt Clay and my old Brunswick. I'm also going to keep my eye out for a couple more such as the Zig Zag and the Direct but the others I intend to use. If they are playable I'm going to play them.

I’ve always found there is a story, purpose or passion behind the “why” of everything (most) people do - especially “collectors” and “fun fanatics” as I’ll call them. (us ;-)

This became even more apparent when a friend and fellow player at the house was looking over my ball collection one day and asked the typical questions like “How old are they?/Are they for a special game?/What does a ball set like that cost?/Do you actually play with them or are you only preserving them for future generations?” and so on. But then he fires off the interesting question I don’t get too often: “I wonder what they used to SOUND like when people USED TO play them?”

What was that?

USED TO play them?

Au contraire, my friend!

We shall play them now and find out

That is how it started. IF there was a ball set deemed too rare or valuable or fragile for any reason, well, I’d seek out another identical sister set and play one of those, preserving the “perfect” set to be ogled, as I poked fun of doing earlier They ALL get played. Without hesitation or reservation. Regularly. Share them and pass along the stories and the sounds of the glorious clays and the Bakelites. Even back to the early nitrocellulose creations from the late 1800’s. From the Crystallite and the polyesters to the cheap resins and the pricey phenolics . First generation Centennials versus the Hyatts.

And then there are the unique Raschigs. You’d recognize that unique “crack!” of an opening break shot anywhere as well as the sharp “clack!” during normal play. Those of you that have them know exactly what I’m talking about.

It was, and still is the uniqueness in SOUND that I appreciate along with every unique nuance in design - and of course the stories of how they all came to be.

And the only way to experience all of THAT, my friends, is to play them. On the shelf, they are only objects and stories. But playing them on the table and in your hands, well, now we have experienced them!

Even the Romaniques

Anyone for a game of Roman Empire?

~ K.

Last edited by K2Kraze; 06-12-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Old
  (#1266)
bfriesth
Bolder

06-12-2019, 04:53 PM

Thanks K. I am jealous of your Romanique I.

Old
  (#1267)
Meucciplayer
AzB Silver Member
Meucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 11:59 PM

Hi K2Kraze,

thank you so much for the insights you give us. Most of us will never experience those sounds.

I think you mentioned somewhere in the thread that you don't power break the more fragile sets, correct? Like only 14.1 or 1P-breaks, right?

BTW, have you ever played an ivory ball set? Not that I would want one produced nowadays - we all know the reasons why. But I have seen one in one of the former Bavarian kings' castles (on an old table under glass) and always wondered how they would have played.

Old
  (#1268)
bfriesth
Bolder

06-13-2019, 07:28 AM

My crazy rabid Green Bay fan Brother in Law is coming for a visit today. First my Broncos are going to kick but on the Pac....

Name:  IMG_5554.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  142.0 KB

Then we may have the very first Broncos pre-season intersquad exhibition game.

Name:  Pre Season.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  84.9 KB
Attached Images

Old
  (#1269)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member

06-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Nice kickoff layouts you have there, Brent! 2 full sets of your favorite team to assemble those I know. Those orange and navy Broncos are striking! It’s time for me to get the Dallas Cowboys ready for a Colorado trip and playoff game.

I’ll fire over a copy of the FOOTBALL rule set for you guys to try and see what you think when playing the 11-man teams with the 2 referee balls.

[I sure hope I’ve been a good influence with your ball set pursuits and not the opposite forcing dog-house blues at the bfriesth house ]

~ K.

Old
  (#1270)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member

06-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Packed and ready....

~ K.

Old
  (#1271)
bfriesth
Bolder

06-18-2019, 07:53 AM

Now I just need to find some competition to start the season.

Name:  IMG_5605.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  68.6 KB

Sorry
Old
  (#1272)
bfriesth
Bolder

Sorry - 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM

Mr. K was complaining about a sore neck looking at my sideways photos. Sorry to all of you that have a kink in your neck because of my inferior technology skills. Attached is an upright photo of my Broncos looking for the next competitor.

Name:  IMG_5605.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  73.8 KB

Old
  (#1273)
Rubik's Cube
Pool ball collector.
Rubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond reputeRubik's Cube has a reputation beyond repute

06-18-2019, 03:45 PM

Good evening, Mr B.

Many thanks for sharing more beautiful photographs, sir.

Did you happen to notice the fellow on eBay who has listed sixty-four new referee balls for $379? He’s had them up for a while now with no bidders so might be inclined to accept a lower bid if anyone is interested. I was thinking it might perhaps be an opportunity for a few of the guys on here who collect NFL stuff to club together and each nab themselves a full set of sixteen referee balls at a bargain price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Large-L...YAAOSwIPZc~7-2

Best wishes,
RC.

Old
  (#1274)
bfriesth
Bolder

Smile 06-18-2019, 05:17 PM

That’s hilarious. There are actually 7 refs on the field in an NFL game so Mr. K2K could modify his NFL game to have 7 refs on the table but you might need a table larger than 9’.

Old
  (#1275)
bfriesth
Bolder

06-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Maybe add some cheerleaders Mr. K?

Page 85 of 88 « First 3575838485 8687 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: