Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page So Cal Straight Pool Community, Saturdays!
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
poolmouse
AzB Silver Member
poolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-19-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMike View Post
Next meet up will be next Saturday March 19th, 1pm at Scratch Billiards!

Scratch Billiards Bar & Grill
15025 Imperial Hwy, La Mirada, CA 90638 · Leffingwell
(562) 902-7665
Wow no excuse for me this time. Just noticed this. Dang. Have a good time.

This Saturday It's a Straight Pool Birthday Bash!
Old
  (#17)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander
MalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to MalibuMike  
This Saturday It's a Straight Pool Birthday Bash! - 03-31-2016, 06:37 PM

I hope you can all make it this Saturday, in addition to the whole Straight Pool Communities weekly meeting, 1pm-6pm. It's also Michael Murphy's Birthday Party 2pm to 5pm with lots of special guests like Ron Rosas and many others, as well as friends and family and assorted riff-raff, should prove to be an eventful day! Hope to see you there!
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

Shooter: Schon R-14 light Blue w/Schon Stitched 30" Mezz EXPROShaft with PreciSion Tips from Dennis Searing (Medium)
Spare Cue: Schon LTD 8?? one of one, Bocote forearm, Tulip wood in points/Jacoby Hybrid Shaft 31" with PreciSion (Med.) Tip
: 80's Red R14 New Stacked Leather Wrap with early 80's rare Runde 30" Shaft Micarta Ferrule 13mm (on Top)

Thank you to everyone who turned out for my birthday!
Old
  (#18)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander
MalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond reputeMalibuMike has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to everyone who turned out for my birthday! - 04-04-2016, 02:17 PM

This was our best turn out yet! And with the highest caliber of players so far!
No great matches or high runs over 30 balls, but many were playing 9 ball and other games so as to rotate players quicker. Thanks' to everyone who turned out, sorry it was a little hectic and we didn't stick to Straight, but next week we will be back on track! Special thanks to my daughter Angelina for coming out and for Jimbo's mom who made the best German Chocolate Cup cakes I have ever had!

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

Shooter: Schon R-14 light Blue w/Schon Stitched 30" Mezz EXPROShaft with PreciSion Tips from Dennis Searing (Medium)
Spare Cue: Schon LTD 8?? one of one, Bocote forearm, Tulip wood in points/Jacoby Hybrid Shaft 31" with PreciSion (Med.) Tip
: 80's Red R14 New Stacked Leather Wrap with early 80's rare Runde 30" Shaft Micarta Ferrule 13mm (on Top)

This was are best week on Record! We even had enough for an exciting Tournament!
Old
  (#19)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

This was are best week on Record! We even had enough for an exciting Tournament! - 04-11-2016, 12:12 AM

Awesome turn out!
Beginners, Intermediates and some advanced players competed on 3 gold crowns, it came down to two tables going and the winner of each table played to 100 for the championship! We had a raffle, some OB Chalk and Longoni Gloves donated by BA Pool Tables.
And this awesome looking unmarked cue was raffled off see bottom pic. (um I won it) but as I only play with Schons I gave it to a sweet girl just learning in the APA.
1st Place was Tall Tony Masconi! OB Chalk
2nd Place was Ken"The 9 Ball Jesus" Longoni Glove
3rd Place was "Snotty Scottie Hankie" G2 Tip (Medium)
and 4th
"Malibu Mike Murphy" at least I won this goofy looking unidentifiable cue, just chicken scratch initials on it but it went to a sweet APA 2 beginner, so at least now she doesn't have to play with a house cue! See you next week for my 14.1, Raffle and if enough show up BA Pool tables may donate a Pro-Glove wrist brace or a Ghost ball table marker and Bob Burns Power Practice work-out DVD!
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

Lots of odd raffle presents please donate for 14.1 to help it grow, any idea's?
Old
  (#20)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

Lots of odd raffle presents please donate for 14.1 to help it grow, any idea's? - 04-11-2016, 12:34 AM

It looks fancy but I expect those are decals, and wow the Ivory looks almost real! Anyway I found a home for it with an APA bar-box beginner! If you have or know of anyone that has scuffers or shapers, chalk or old mystery cues like this in your garage or collecting dust, please donate them to our Straight pool community so we can get 14,1 back where it should be The Championship game of pool! This game takes smarts!!!!!!! Thanks again to Alex a BA POOL TABLES in North Hollywood for gloves, Straight Pool Bible (KJV) and Chalk!
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

One Month too early!
Old
  (#21)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

One Month too early! - 04-11-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marop View Post
More Pics of Last Saturdays "Straight Pool Club" at Scratch Billiards in La Mirada!
More Pics to come!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by MalibuMike; 05-04-2016 at 10:12 AM. Reason: wrong pics

So Cal Straight Pool Group is up and running!
Old
  (#22)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

So Cal Straight Pool Group is up and running! - 04-18-2016, 04:43 PM

Every Saturday at Scratch Billiards from 1pm to 6 pm!
We are almost ready to start a league! Come check it out and get a couple games in next Saturday!

Scratch Billiards Bar & Grill
15025 Imperial Hwy, La Mirada, CA 90638 ·

(562) 902-7665 · $
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

Straight Pool racking rules for 15th ball.
Old
  (#23)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

Straight Pool racking rules for 15th ball. - 04-20-2016, 03:08 PM

------------------------------------------------------------
Straight Pool racking rules for all possible positions of cue ball and 15th ball at the end of each rack
When the 15th ball lies in the rack and the cue ball is also in the rack, the 15th ball is placed on the foot spot (thus all object balls are racked as 15 balls together) and the cue ball is in hand anywhere “in the kitchen” (kitchen means behind the head string).

When the 15th ball lies in the rack and the cue ball lies not in the rack and not blocking the head spot, the 15th ball is placed on the head spot and the cue ball remains in its position.

When the 15th ball lies in the rack and cue ball lies blocking the head spot, the 15th ball is placed on the center spot and the cue ball remains in its position.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the 15th ball lies pocketed and the cue ball lies in the rack, the 15th ball is placed on the foot spot (thus all object balls are racked as 15 balls together) and the cue ball is in hand anywhere in the kitchen.

When the 15th ball lies pocketed and the cue ball lies not in the rack and not blocking the head spot, the 15th ball is placed on the foot spot (thus all object balls are racked as 15 balls together) and the cue ball remains in its position.

When the 15th ball lies pocketed and the cue ball lies blocking the head spot, the 15th ball is placed on the foot spot (thus all object balls are racked as 15 balls together) and the cue ball remains in its position.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the 15th ball lies behind the head string but not blocking the head spot, and the cue ball lies in the rack, the 15th ball remains in its position and the cue ball is placed on the head spot. (Note that in this situation, after the balls are racked the continuing player is eligible to shoot at the object ball that lies in the kitchen if he/she chooses to.)

When the 15th ball lies not behind the head string and not in the rack, and the cue ball does lie in the rack, the 15th ball remains in its position and the cue ball is in hand anywhere in the kitchen.

When the 15th ball lies blocking the head spot and the cue ball lies in the rack, the cue ball is placed on the center spot.
A big thank you to Arnaldo!

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

The Greatest Staight Pool Player of All-Time!
Old
  (#24)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

The Greatest Staight Pool Player of All-Time! - 04-29-2016, 03:07 PM

John has decided to upload his 366 ball run with commentary by him and Bill Maropulos for free. This is the highest straight pool run ever captured on video.

Here's what he says on Facebook:
"I thought I'd put this out there for players to watch and possibly help your game. This was 2010 and if I'm not mistaken is still the highest run ever captured on film. Bill Maropulos and I do the VoiceOver. I meant to sell the DVDs of this run but I think it's better if I put it out for free for many reasons."

I know John is available for lessons. If interested contact him on facebook or contact me.
Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPrRvPOUkA
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

Come Join Our Group! Hurry up and jump on board now for the big win!
Old
  (#25)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

Come Join Our Group! Hurry up and jump on board now for the big win! - 04-29-2016, 03:31 PM

The last few weeks have been pretty awesome for the So. Cal Straight Pool Group! Last week was particularly awesome especially when it comes to Cue Watching! Saw more Gina Cues in one day then I've seen my whole life! One thing is certain 14.1 player have the best cues around! Tony from Highland Park was there with a Gina Cue from 1963? Ernie looked at the joint and told him it was among the 1st batch of 78 joints that he ever bought, it was restored by Ernie and though simple was a work of art! Tony who along with myself were grieving the loss of yet another Pool Hall, Highland Park Billiards! Very sad to see it go! I did a Knights of Columbus Benefit there, they were very kind folks! Tony had another Gina with the sharpest points this side of MacArthur Park! The Robert Frazier came in with his Gina's new anniversary cue plus some other Gina's a Burt Shrager and MANY Awesome Kent Davis cues! There must have been over a $100,000 worth of pool cues at Scratch Billiards last Saturday! (Not counting my Trifeta of Schon STL 15's! (always looking for more! other colors or an LTD version).
But the main event was Tall Tony and Ken (The 9 Ball Jesus going at it!) Tony ended up wining and The So. Cal Straight Pool group pooled together and bought him not ONE OB, But TWO OB chalks. Needless to say a wonderful time was had by all, coming in 3rd and 4th were Mike Murphy & Colin Edge who played in the US Straight Pool Open! Enjoy The Pics and Hope to see you all again tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!! It's getting so big it is starting to overlap into Sunday! At Scratch Billiards in La Mirada, on Imperial HWY & La Mirada! See you there!
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

More Pics from last Saturday
Old
  (#26)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

More Pics from last Saturday - 04-29-2016, 03:37 PM

Enjoy The Pics and Hope to see you all again tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!! It's getting so big it is starting to overlap into Sunday! At Scratch Billiards in La Mirada, on Imperial HWY & La Mirada! See you there!

(Spot the shot in the last Photo?)
Answer next week!
See you Saturdays! We are off and running bringing the championship game of Straight Poll Back to the forefront of American Culture!
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

Enjoy The Pics and Hope to see you all again Saturday May 7th!
Old
  (#27)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

Enjoy The Pics and Hope to see you all again Saturday May 7th! - 05-03-2016, 11:51 AM

Last Saturday was another stellar turn out at Scratch Billiards So. Cal. Straight Pool Group, for enthusiasts of the Championship of game 14.1 (Straight Pool!) Shot of the day goes to Scary Gary who left his cue ball on the right side of the rack, and his Break Ball on the left side of the rack, he did a long bank off the head rail pocketing the Break Ball in the left side pocket and the cue ball opening the rack up for another long run. Amazing!

Also a Big Thank you to our Sponsor BA Pool Tables!
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

14.1 (Straight Pool) Players deffinatley have the best Pool cues!
Old
  (#28)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

14.1 (Straight Pool) Players deffinatley have the best Pool cues! - 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM

14.1 (Straight Pool) Players deffinatley have the best Pool cues!
Here is Just a sampling of what was at Scratch Billiards this last Saturday!!!!
Everything from Tony of Highland Park's Mike Lambros, Gina Cue and Tad.
Scary Gary's old School Brunswick, Tall Tony's Kent Davis! See next older Posts For other assorted Gina's, Shragers, Tim Paddgent, Joss's and Schon's in our group! Why is This? Saturday's at Scratch have become a great day for Cue Spotting!
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

Saturday's at Scratch have become a great day for Cue Spotting!
Old
  (#29)
MalibuMike
A Guilty Bystander

Saturday's at Scratch have become a great day for Cue Spotting! - 05-03-2016, 12:14 PM

Straight Pool Players most definitely play with the best equipment!
Scroll Down to see even more impressive cues!
Mike Lambros,
Gina's
Tad's
Tim Padgent's
Kent Davis
Joss
Schon's
Burt Schragers
And many others.......
Attached Images

All is Grace,
"Malibu" Mike Murphy

Old
  (#30)
stevekur1
The "COMMISH"
stevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4700

05-04-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMike View Post
Straight Pool Players most definitely play with the best equipment!
Scroll Down to see even more impressive cues!
Mike Lambros,
Gina's
Tad's
Tim Padgent's
Kent Davis
Joss
Schon's
Burt Schragers
And many others.......

I Gotta get me one of these stickers, how do i get one ?

-Steve

PETE TONKIN CUSTOM CUES

Bayshore Billiards 14.1 League ~ Facebook Page ----> https://www.facebook.com/Bayshorebilliardsstraightpool

High Runs:

2019 - In Game - 127
2018 - Practice - 136
2011 - Highest on Video - 50

50 ball evaluation by Blackjack David Sapolis -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiBfKo85z4g

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Tags
14.1 straight pool, los angeles, orange county, straight pool

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: