14.1 challenge at the BCAPL

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mark Griffin reported in the main forum that Ralf Souquet and Thorsten Hohmann were co-champions of the BCAPL 14.1 Challenge. Participation was poor and with only $100 difference between first and second, it's no surprise that the final, which would have been played late Sunday with virtually no fanfare, was forgone by these two very close friends.

Congrats to both!

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Hi Stu! Wondering if you, or anyone, knows why participation was so poor this year? Was it just the lower overall participation at the BCAPL in this, its first year in July, or was there something particular about this event that changed?

I saw the numbers that Max posted and it seemed if you could manage a 73 in 4 innings you would've made it into the pro tournament? That's about fifty balls less than usual (adjusted for 4 innings instead of the usual 5). I'm guessing Mika didn't even give it a go?

It's always such a popular event, and superbly run, so this really surprised me. Can anyone add some color?

Thanks,
Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hi Stu! Wondering if you, or anyone, knows why participation was so poor this year? Was it just the lower overall participation at the BCAPL in this, its first year in July, or was there something particular about this event that changed?

I saw the numbers that Max posted and it seemed if you could manage a 73 in 4 innings you would've made it into the pro tournament? That's about fifty balls less than usual (adjusted for 4 innings instead of the usual 5). I'm guessing Mika didn't even give it a go?

It's always such a popular event, and superbly run, so this really surprised me. Can anyone add some color?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve, hope you're well.

Yes, there was something different here. The tables eventually used for the 14.1 challenge were used for a trick shot event and then for an artistic pool event during the first week, which eliminated many days of qualifying for the 14.1 challenge. That's why there were so few qualifying attempts and so little money in the prize pool. I believe you are right that Mika didn't even have an attempt. It should also be noted that Dennis Orcullo and Darren Appleton, who always participate in the Derby City 14.1 challenge, had left for the World Games in Columbia by the time the 14.1 challenge began.

I believe that, in the end, it took about 95 as a four inning total to reach the single elimination. Somewhat predictably, the semifinals were Robles vs Hohmann and Souquet vs Eberle, with Thorsten and Ralf prevailing in the races to 100 before agreeing to share first place and split the money.

Last edited:

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks for the info, Stu. I wonder if the tables were beaten up from the trick/artistic pool. I have no idea what shots are used for those competitions but I'm guessing it's not soft topspin. :)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Mark Griffin reported in the main forum that Ralf Souquet and Thorsten Hohmann were co-champions of the BCAPL 14.1 Challenge. Participation was poor and with only $100 difference between first and second, it's no surprise that the final, which would have been played late Sunday with virtually no fanfare, was forgone by these two very close friends.

Congrats to both!

Stu: Can you give me a link to the report? Can't seem to find it?

Do you know what the payouts were for high runs, 1st place, etc.? I wonder how many days they did it.

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In years past the tables were in a more high profile location that lent itself to more viewing and then more participation in the challenge . This year the location was tucked away on the side of the pro arena and saw less traffic.

berniep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at the Open event for the first 5 days (one pocket only), and was really looking forward to participating in the Straight Pool.

Prior to the event I had actually given up some of my one pocket sparring time for several 14.1 sessions.:eek::eek: (I guess the upside was that my stroke kinda came back :thumbup:)

Needless to say, I was very disappointed that the 14.1 challenge would not begin until I was about to leave for home.

Hopefully it will be different next year?

Thanks.

Bernie.

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stu: Can you give me a link to the report? Can't seem to find it?

Do you know what the payouts were for high runs, 1st place, etc.? I wonder how many days they did it.

Hi Dennis,

I have not seen any reports, Ralf and Thorsten split the $300 and $200 for first and second and Tony and I split the $100 for 3rd. Tony gave his $50 to Robert Leblanc and Caleb von dangershark for running the event. My numbers held up to win the single high run with 112 for the $200 prize and the $250 prize for my 251 total (82,112,14,40).

Yeah the 14.1 Challenge needs its own tables, bleachers for spectators, visible signage, trophies, and more prize money. Also having a junior division would be a great thing to do and gauge how the kids are playing instead of just a race to 9, 7 ,or 5 in 9 ball... lets give them a chance to showcase how many balls they can run in 14.1...

See you in NYC Dennis!

Max

PS: Thanks to Predator and CSI for sponsoring it, and thanks to Pechauer Custom Cues for sponsoring me and Tiger Products for my Tiger X Pro Shaft and Everest tip.

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Stu it was great to see and chat with you in vegas, looking forward to NYC 14.1 World Tournament, thanks for sponsoring it again! :)

Steve I'll see you at Steinway, should be a great event!

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Dennis,

I have not seen any reports, Ralf and Thorsten split the $300 and $200 for first and second and Tony and I split the $100 for 3rd. Tony gave his $50 to Robert Leblanc and Caleb von dangershark for running the event. My numbers held up to win the single high run with 112 for the $200 prize and the $250 prize for my 251 total (82,112,14,40).

Yeah the 14.1 Challenge needs its own tables, bleachers for spectators, visible signage, trophies, and more prize money. Also having a junior division would be a great thing to do and gauge how the kids are playing instead of just a race to 9, 7 ,or 5 in 9 ball... lets give them a chance to showcase how many balls they can run in 14.1...

See you in NYC Dennis!

Max

PS: Thanks to Predator and CSI for sponsoring it, and thanks to Pechauer Custom Cues for sponsoring me and Tiger Products for my Tiger X Pro Shaft and Everest tip.

Max-Did Calvin Coker do any good? in the high run category?

Congratualtions and good luck in New York.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Max-Did Calvin Coker do any good? in the high run category?

Congratualtions and good luck in New York.

Calvin, if I remember correctly, posted a four inning total of 93, which won the senior (55+) division by quite a bit.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hey Stu it was great to see and chat with you in vegas, looking forward to NYC 14.1 World Tournament, thanks for sponsoring it again! :)

Steve I'll see you at Steinway, should be a great event!

Always a pleasure, Max. Enjoyed catching up and also having dinner with you at the Sports Deli at the Rio. See you in about three weeks here in NYC.

Happy to be a sponsor again.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Hi Dennis,

See you in NYC Dennis!

Max

Max: Thanks for the in depth report. It sounds like they did not get as big a turn out as in the past. However your 112 on a Diamond is nothing to sneeze at. I heard the conditions were a bit less than pristine, too, making it even harder to put up a big number.

I just got the go ahead from she who must be obeyed to go to NY next month for the World's so I will see you there. It was only a partial victory on my part, so I won't see you until Wednesday. Good Luck to you.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Max: Thanks for the in depth report. It sounds like they did not get as big a turn out as in the past. However your 112 on a Diamond is nothing to sneeze at. I heard the conditions were a bit less than pristine, too, making it even harder to put up a big number.

I just got the go ahead from she who must be obeyed to go to NY next month for the World's so I will see you there. It was only a partial victory on my part, so I won't see you until Wednesday. Good Luck to you.

Great news, Dennis. Look forward to seeing you.