Unilock joint

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday I tried to break down my cue and the joint seized up. The joint is a unilock. When I tried to twist loose by hand very firmly, the female joint broke loose and splintered the shaft at the joint. Thankfully, the manufacturer is gracious enough to replace the whole cue even though the warranty expired. My question for the cue makers is...when I get the new cue, should I put something on the joint so this doesn’t happen again? FYI I play at home and hardly ever break my cue down. I put it on the corner rack inside my home. I’m not sure if leaving it together caused it to get stuck. Thanks in advance for the advice. Charles

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday I tried to break down my cue and the joint seized up. The joint is a unilock. When I tried to twist loose by hand very firmly, the female joint broke loose and splintered the shaft at the joint. Thankfully, the manufacturer is gracious enough to replace the whole cue even though the warranty expired. My question for the cue makers is...when I get the new cue, should I put something on the joint so this doesn’t happen again? FYI I play at home and hardly ever break my cue down. I put it on the corner rack inside my home. I’m not sure if leaving it together caused it to get stuck. Thanks in advance for the advice. Charles

Good morning Charles
I tell people to once a month, use some rubbing alcohol on a Q tip and clean the brass insert. Then use the dry end. Dust and moisture is usually the problem. If the connection freezes. Bring it to a Cue mechanic. The smooth shank of the joint screw should be wet sanded with 3000 grit paper and polished because it will have fine scratches on it. Same with the insert.
Hope this helps.

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good morning Charles
I tell people to once a month, use some rubbing alcohol on a Q tip and clean the brass insert. Then use the dry end. Dust and moisture is usually the problem. If the connection freezes. Bring it to a Cue mechanic. The smooth shank of the joint screw should be wet sanded with 3000 grit paper and polished because it will have fine scratches on it. Same with the insert.
Hope this helps.

Thank you Michael. I appreciate the information. Charles

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'll probably get shot down for this and I'm open to correction, but I was once able to un-size one with WD-40, and have used Pledge to help keep them smooth for assembly/disassembly. Mike is of course correct in keeping them clean with some minor maintenance.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had my Lucasi uniloc cue for 10 years and have never had a problem with it seizing.
I do clean the insert a couple times a year with a Q tip and alcohol.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
uni lock

Back in the '90's when Lucasi switched from 5/16 x 18 to Uni lock , the 1st cue I got , I was a dealer then , I took to Pub . I handed it to a young lady and she took it apart and tried to putter back togather , went 1/2 way and locked . Brand new , I was pissed , I called and asked it they wanted the but cut in to or the shaft . Never had a problem since . My break Butt is a cue from 1998 with a preditor shaft , never cleaned the joint and never had a problem

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Uni-Loc joint is a good example why cues should come with manual for how to take care of your cue. I`ve had several customers come by my shop, not being able to take their cue apart. Just a drop or two of WD40 while holding the cue upside down and a pair of rubber gloves for extra grip does the trick every time.
Rinse of the WD40, clean the insert and pin and blow out any debris with compressed air.
Use a tiny amount of dry lube and it`s good for atleast 6 months.