Common problems of newer APA players

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Common problems of newer APA players"

They are playing in the APA

Boom, mic drop, thank you.

Yeah people having fun playing pool that isn’t about gambling and a company that is based on pool and is successful and makes money. Ugh all that sounds terrible

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
"Common problems of newer APA players"

They are playing in the APA

Boom, mic drop, thank you.

Yeah people having fun playing pool that isn’t about gambling and a company that is based on pool and is successful and makes money. Ugh all that sounds terrible

Yeah, don’t forget that Leagues allow regular people to participate in the intimidating world of the pool hall. Who needs that?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Yeah, don’t forget that Leagues allow regular people to participate in the intimidating world of the pool hall. Who needs that?

Whoa...are you a fan of planet fitness as well? I’ve always planned to start a gym if I win the lottery or find a dumpster full of mob money or summat.

Free weights everywhere. Grunting and even screaming encouraged. Hazing and belittling newbs and small guys (all in fun and progression of course). Fkin chalk dust covering the entire place. You can’t even walk in without having a coughing fit.

Maybe that’s a little overboard but you get the point. A sword forged in a silk blanket is not one I want to depend on. Everything just gets softer and softer and down hill we go. Even the military is getting bad from what I hear. I went through in 07 and it was still kinda tough. At least in the fister world. Fight circles for those who just ran off constantly, thinking the drill sergeants would protect them. Ah I’m on a rant.

Pool leagues are cool I guess. They keep the halls rolling in change and bring people together in a friendly competitive environ.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll explain. The APA attracts people who see one night a week playing pool as a way to drink alcohol and meet people.

If you ask the the next day how the pool league went they would talk for fifteen minutes before they got around to talking about their pool match.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll explain. The APA attracts people who see one night a week playing pool as a way to drink alcohol and meet people.

If you ask the the next day how the pool league went they would talk for fifteen minutes before they got around to talking about their pool match.

Is that your personal experience ? I dont know an ut other areas but plenty of 0 ople around here take pool serious enough to play sevaerl nights a week.

Quite a few play on a couple apa teams...a traveling money league and an in house money league every week. I myself did that for several yearz until i started getting old and now just play on 3 teams 2 nights a week.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
The biggest problem New APA Players have is the intimidation and attitude coming from the “Real” Pool Players in Most Pool Halls.

Walking into a Pool Hall is very scary for most non-players.

Especially if all of the pockets are 4-1/2” Pro-Cut.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Is that your personal experience ? I dont know an ut other areas but plenty of 0 ople around here take pool serious enough to play sevaerl nights a week.

Quite a few play on a couple apa teams...a traveling money league and an in house money league every week. I myself did that for several yearz until i started getting old and now just play on 3 teams 2 nights a week.

In our main pool room here (you know, the one with 10 nine-foot Diamonds) it's league that keeps it busy. TAP on Monday and Wednesday, APA on Tuesday and Thursday. I know many folks that play 3 nights a week and some who play all four. Some that play a couple nights in our room, and a couple nights in another town. Then some of them will play in the weekend tournies, too....

Yeah, APA players are only there to go out once a week and don't care about the pool part....sheesh.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe it depends on the area... My area has really good pool rooms. Most people want to have fun with it. But it's all serious. A lot of the players want to get better and they get out there and really try.

Anyway.., I just feel you are wrong to lump everyone across the US and 3 other countries in the same bucket.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my area I don’t see that experience at all. They really love the game and take it serious. No one is getting trashed and goofing. Are they there to be friends also? Sure. But from I’ve seen consistently whether they are a 3 or a 7 they want to win and are trying to get better.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do new players hit the CB so hard?

Earlier I mentioned I see most APA players (e.g. SL2-SL5's) hit the CB too hard. Why?

Mainly I believe they have not practiced developing a stroke, so they lack the coordination required.

But for some players there may be a psychological factor:
Some players have a reputation as being "lucky". When I hear this, my guess is they constantly slam the balls in, so balls are always flying around the table, and SURPRISE, they slop something in. That "luck" probably reinforces this bad behavior. (of course they also scratch a lot...)

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mainly I believe they have not practiced developing a stroke,

So how do you develop a good stroke?

Bert Kinister helped me a ton on this, and here's how:

1) 4-5 times a week, for several months, shoot 100 long distance stop shots:
Place the OB 2 diamonds from a corner pocket, and the CB 2 diamonds from one of the corner pockets at the other end of the table. Ideally use a measle ball so you can notice any inadvertent spin.

2) Practice drawing at various lengths:
With the OB 2 diamonds from a corner:
a) Put the CB at the center of the table. Draw back 5 times to the center of the table.
b) Next practice drawing back 5 times half way between the OB to the center of the table.
c) Once consistently successful at the above, move the CB back a diamond and repeat.
d) Finally move the CB back another diamond (to the head spot) and repeat.

3) Practice long distance power draw:
Place the OB 2 diamonds from a corner, and the CB 2 diamonds from a corner at the other end of the table. Draw the CB back to the end rail. I practiced this weeks before being able to do it consistently. Darren Appleton gives good advice on this in his "Perfect Practice" video: The key is a smooth stroke, with a little longer backstroke than normal. Do not try to over power it. After many attempts you will suddenly hit it perfect. Focus on what you just did, how the stroke felt, and try to repeat it.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Place the OB 2 diamonds from a corner pocket, and the CB 2 diamonds from one of the corner pockets at the other end of the table. Ideally use a measle ball so you can notice any inadvertent spin.

a) Put the CB at the center of the table. Draw back 5 times to the center of the table.
b) Next practice drawing back 5 times half way between the OB to the center of the table.
c) Once consistently successful at the above, move the CB back a diamond and repeat.

Place the OB 2 diamonds from a corner, and the CB 2 diamonds from a corner at the other end of the table. Draw the CB back to the end rail. I practiced this weeks before being able to do it consistently. Darren Appleton gives good advice on this in his "Perfect Practice" video: The key is a smooth stroke, with a little longer backstroke than normal. Do not try to over power it. After many attempts you will suddenly hit it perfect. Focus on what you just did, how the stroke felt, and try to repeat it.

A friend of mine introduced to Bert's stuff. I use those too. It has made a huge difference in my game. In fact I didn't even realize how far off of Center hits I was until I did #1 on your list.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I just started playing this year at age 50 and I joined a local APA league this summer. I started out as a SL 3 and was demoted to a SL 2. I have a couple of instructional books and some of Dr. Dave's DVD's and I take a lesson once a month from a instructor. I have a home table and practice frequently but I make very little progress. Sometimes I feel like I am regressing. The main problem I have is having a straight stroke and hitting the object ball where I am actually aiming at. It is very frustrating and discouraging. I get nervous in league and miss easy straight in shots. Any suggestions or drills that I can do besides quitting pool and taking up bowling. Thanks

If you are looking for drills to do, the one that I found was the most useful was the 6 ball drill. Rack for 9 ball, break for 9 ball, then remove the lowest 3 balls and play the last 6 balls. If 6 balls is too hard to run, take out the lowest 4 or 5 balls. this simulates a game and gets you use to shooting for shape, and lets you practice your break.

I have seen the above recommended on AZ a lot.

The other thing I can recommend that really helped me when I was starting, was finding someone who enjoyed pool and playing every week. I play Saturday afternoons at around 1pm to 5pm, and just play against higher level players. when I started in a race to 10 i was getting 1 game maybe. Now in a race to 10 against the same player, I get 6 or 7 games before he gets 10, and occasionally I win a race.

The other thing i did when i started playing more seriously 4 years ago was go in not expecting to win, but try to make your opponent sweat. if you have low percent shot, or are nervous, go for a safety. Build some confidence by forcing them to give you ball in hand. I always get a chuckle out of a good safety. Set an achievable goal, and realize that losing is not the end of the world.

I also don't gamble. i am don't feel i am good enough to compete on the field, and i hate the idea of having someone take advantage of that. I know plenty of people who quit after a bad action match. Just not my game.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I also don't gamble. i am don't feel i am good enough to compete on the field, and i hate the idea of having someone take advantage of that. I know plenty of people who quit after a bad action match. Just not my game.

^^^^^^^As good as anything I've ever read on AZB forums^^^^^^^

Maniac

TheSurgeon

I'm new to the forum (any billiard forum) and I just wanted to say I really enjoyed this thread. Great stuff. And overall great site thus far.

CuseFan559

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

When doing #1 and #3 are the cue ball and object ball parallel to the side rail or diagonal to each other across the table?

CuseFan559

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are looking for drills to do, the one that I found was the most useful was the 6 ball drill. Rack for 9 ball, break for 9 ball, then remove the lowest 3 balls and play the last 6 balls. If 6 balls is too hard to run, take out the lowest 4 or 5 balls. this simulates a game and gets you use to shooting for shape, and lets you practice your break.

I have seen the above recommended on AZ a lot.

The other thing I can recommend that really helped me when I was starting, was finding someone who enjoyed pool and playing every week. I play Saturday afternoons at around 1pm to 5pm, and just play against higher level players. when I started in a race to 10 i was getting 1 game maybe. Now in a race to 10 against the same player, I get 6 or 7 games before he gets 10, and occasionally I win a race.

The other thing i did when i started playing more seriously 4 years ago was go in not expecting to win, but try to make your opponent sweat. if you have low percent shot, or are nervous, go for a safety. Build some confidence by forcing them to give you ball in hand. I always get a chuckle out of a good safety. Set an achievable goal, and realize that losing is not the end of the world.

I will try that, thanks I appreciate it. I have no desire to play for money. That's how I learned how to play the card game Pitch at my old job. Played during lunch for a $1 a point and double in spades. I lost my a$$ but I learned how to play really quick!