Randy "Fat Randy" Wallace..... RIP

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool world has lost a true character. Fat Randy Wallace of Tulsa, Ok. passed away last Thursday. Widely known as a master of the bar-box Randy was truly something else. Its hard to describe the impact he had on pool in this part of the country. His matches with Sigel, Matlock, Buddy and many others are the stuff of legend around here. I myself took up the game at his downtown Tulsa spot, Boulder Billiards. When he played a big match everyone showed up to sweat not only the pool but also in anticipation of what Randy might say or do. People coast-to-coast have Fat Randy stories and most if not all are true. Early days yet but a memorial tournament is not out of the question. I'll keep folks up to date. This really sucks, he was ONE of a kind. See ya again big boy.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had lost touch or hearing with Randy

He sent me home broke last time we met

Norm Hitchcock gave me the orange crush and started my
troubles
Grady was playing Buddy Hall on the next table and i bet wrong there.too.

Randy took me to the house to shoot craps.

This was at Trueloves or Truebloods in Oklahoma City,as I recall

One thing I do know,they gave me a" walking stick"

for those of you unfamiliar with the term,they gave me about $100 to eat and get back to Dallas

This generosity would leave the victim (in this case me,) with a good taste .a feeling of good will
toward the victors where there might have been animosity.
The intended goal of giving a walking stick is not an act of flagrant generosity,
but is firmly rooted in sound economic theory based on advertising principles
and future value involving repeat business,not necessarily Christian charity.

Fat Randy was a real character, he will be missed by many with similar stories

Farewell to Randy, I fear that there are not many of this type of character left.

At least I seldom see them any more

have been times of commentary and
semantic embellishment

Where or when will we see the like of "Fat Randy" again?

Forgive me if this is not a fitting memorial, I would buy drinks for all as
we shared a wet eye but it is my bed time

Last edited:

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A True Gunslinger

It was back in late 70's, early 80's, when we still played our Texas Open at Moyers. (Austin)

Fat Randy was giving Little Al the 7 and 8 on a 4x8. But, he got all the breaks.

Al got up something like $4 - 4400. When the dust settled Randy started breaking and running out like you have never seen anyone do.

When Randy got, I believe, $2000 winner, Al's backers saw the light and pulled up. Randy could really gin it when he got his mixture right.

Lots of other stories from the Tulsa Billiard Palace days. The Oklahoma players could tell hundreds of stories about Fat Randy.

RIP, Randy

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

troubles

This was at trueloves or Trueblood in Oklahoma City,as I recall

for those of you unfamiliar with the term,they gave me about $100 to eat and get back to Dallas

This generosity would leave the victim (in this case me,) with a good taste .a feeling of good will
The intended goal of giving a walking stick is an act of flagrant generosity
but is firmly rooted in sound economic theory based on advertising principals

Farewell to Randy, I fear that there are not many of this type of character left.

semantic embellishment

Dean your memorial is badass. Randy is smiling down on this.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

troubles

This was at trueloves or Trueblood in Oklahoma City,as I recall

The intended goal of giving a walking stick is an act of flagrant generosity
but is firmly rooted in sound economic theory based on advertising principals

semantic embellishment

You nailed it Deano. Randy didn't have a evil bone in his body but he had way of sizing you up for possible $$ gain. If he got you it was almost a badge of honor. He was really a natural born carny and always had a game on of some sort. Never a dull moment when he was around.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
You nailed it Deano. Randy didn't have a evil bone in his body but he had way of sizing you up for possible $$ gain. If he got you it was almost a badge of honor. He was really a natural born carny and always had a game on of some sort. Never a dull moment when he was around.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Gar... I put his quote back up.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of Fat Randy's Passing. I remember seeing him and his crew(sons I believe) at some of the Fast Eddie's events.

It was back in late 70's, early 80's, when we still played our Texas Open at Moyers. (Austin)

Fat Randy was giving Little Al the 7 and 8 on a 4x8. But, he got all the breaks.

Al got up something like $4 - 4400. When the dust settled Randy started breaking and running out like you have never seen anyone do.

When Randy got, I believe, $2000 winner, Al's backers saw the light and pulled up. Randy could really gin it when he got his mixture right.

Lots of other stories from the Tulsa Billiard Palace days. The Oklahoma players could tell hundreds of stories about Fat Randy.

RIP, Randy

Great story. My older brother Mike took me down there to Moyers to see some of those tournaments and the action back then. We checked out some of the Villa Capri event they had one year too. I was a teenager then. My mom would have died if she had known where her older son took her youngest son! That was a whole other level of pool being played compared to me and my buddies! LOL we thought we were hot shit because we could occasionally run a rack of 8 or 9 ball:eek:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of Fat Randy's Passing. I remember seeing him and his crew(sons I believe) at some of the Fast Eddie's events.

Great story. My older brother Mike took me down there to Moyers to see some of those tournaments and the action back then. We checked out some of the Villa Capri event they had one year too. I was a teenager then. My mom would have died if she had known where her older son took her youngest son! That was a whole other level of pool being played compared to me and my buddies! LOL we thought we were hot shit because we could occasionally run a rack of 8 or 9 ball:eek:
Randy had no kids, at least that we know of.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
sorry for your loss garczar
i heard some stories from mark today
seems like he was one of a kind
R,I,P. Randy

crirvine

Registered
A roll of cash in 10th grade.

I went to high school with Randy. I got to know him just a little in a 10th grade science class. One time, for the hell of it I guess, he showed me a huge wad of money that he pulled out of his pocket. The outside layer was $100s. I said something like wow. After that, with a grin on his face, about once a week he would pull out the wad of money for my amusement.

One interesting story. For some reason this one kid had started picking on Randy out in the hallway between classes. I don't know why, but it surprised me since the kid was smaller than Randy was. One day Randy had had enough and slugged the guy. One punch did the trick. The victim, surprised and humiliated, went hurrying down the hall with blood streaming out of his nose. Randy's reaction was kind of apologetic. He said something like, "I'm sorry but I told you to quit bothering me."

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Chemical Warfare

First time I saw em play....Reds, Houston early 80's.

Benny Conway, in his white outfit and Randy, betting high on the bar box.

46 + hours later, the Goose got the gander.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe you're thinking of Fat Ralph from Dallas ?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Randy was truly a character, one of the memorable ones in pool. He was always talking a mile a minute and asking to raise the bet. I first met him and gambled against him in OKC. He was playing "Herman the German" Eight Ball on a bar table and I bet on Herman. I think we ended up losing. Randy was one of those out sized characters that populated the pool world back then. Every time I ever saw him he was in action and betting high!

I got him one time when I was in with Bobby Leblanc who charged him for a pretty good number. That was 9-Ball on the little box and Bobby could bring it! Even after we got his money he never quit talking and trying to make a new game and adjust it a little. Bobby was too smart for that though and we got out with the cheese. I won a few hun and Bobby got out with over a thou. Not a bad score in the late 60's. I felt rich if I had 400 in my pocket. :wink:

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Always a Loss

It is always a loss when we lose a genuine character from pool although I didn't know Randy. Some people would like to be a character but it seems that has to come naturally or it doesn't.

When we lose the last of the road players, when we lose the last of the true characters, pool is going to be much much smaller.

Rest in Peace Randy.

Hu

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Always a Loss

It is always a loss when we lose a genuine character from pool although I didn't know Randy. Some people would like to be a character but it seems that has to come naturally or it doesn't.

When we lose the last of the road players, when we lose the last of the true characters, the pool world is going to be much much smaller.

Rest in Peace Randy.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Went through Tulsa when I was a kid....missed Randy and probably a lot of players.
...it was the summer...not a good time for action.
...didn’t play on bar boxes....and just a bit of 9 or 10ball.

Got into some good snooker action with Louie the Greek in Bartlesville....
...a real gentleman.

Gar...did you know Louie....might’ve been before your time

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went through Tulsa when I was a kid....missed Randy and probably a lot of players.
...it was the summer...not a good time for action.
...didn’t play on bar boxes....and just a bit of 9 or 10ball.

Got into some good snooker action with Louie the Greek in Bartlesville....
...a real gentleman.

Gar...did you know Louie....might’ve been before your time
Heard the name but never met him. Probably a little before me. I'm 59. Not ONE place to play other than a CW dance bar in Bartlesville now. Used to be some play up there but not in a while.