Doug Patrick Custom Cues

DeepBanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Review - Doug Patrick
I've been wanting a sneaky Pete and decided to purchase one about a month ago . . . I spied a Doug Patrick built cue here on the AZ Sale Forum and decided to buy it - I just received it last Friday. I don't post here that often, let alone write cue reviews, but after playing with this thing for two days I felt compelled to share my opinion.

This is a 19.5 oz. full splice cue made from a AAAA piece of cocobola and maple . . . 19.5 oz. with LBM ferrules, radial pin and phenolic joint. Very simple ringwork on the shafts, joint and butt with no wrap. The build quality and finish are exceptional and flawless.

I played with it a little on Friday night . . . whoa! After two hours playing with it on Saturday I decided to write something up. This is the best hitting cue I've EVER tried and/or owned - PERIOD. I've owned/played with Joss & McDermott for 25+ years, and gotten my hands on a whole bunch of the great builders cues - hit Southwest, Richard Black, Samsara, Paul Mottey, etc. This Patrick hits as well, if not better than ANY other cue I've ever tried! I mean, I've never written a cue review before, but this thing has impressed me that much!

The cue has a firm, clean hit - you know exactly where you contacted the cue ball, perfect feedback and control - overall it's incredibly accurate. The shafts exhibit almost NO deflection! I'm old school and like traditional wood shafts; I believe a good piece of shaft wood will perform comparably with most of the newest "low deflection" shafts. The Patrick built shafts do just that, but without the guesswork and "adjustments" you have to make with some of the newer shaft technology. (i.e. Z shafts, etc.)

I can't describe what else I'd want out of a cue that this thing doesn't deliver . . . the cue ball goes exactly where you aim it, english is applied with minimal to no deflection, it has crisp responsive feedback, and the balance is just incredible. I've bought and hit a LOT of cues looking for that magic feel of a great one piece cue . . . this Patrick is as good as it gets . . . I recommend you get your hands on one - hit it and you'll see what I mean.

I ordered an extra shaft for this cue, and it gave me the opportunity to talk to Mr. Patrick via phone. I have no relationship with him, and posted this to let those of you who search for a great playing cue that you need to be aware of his product. He's very professional, and told me that his sole objective is to make cues that are appreciated by players. I hope this post can bring some awareness to his superior work and service . . .

Thanks for building me such a great cue Doug!

More info at: http://patrickcustomcues.com/

Attachments

• Patrick CoCobola Sneaky Pete.JPG
    Patrick CoCobola Sneaky Pete.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 541

a9ballbr8k

Don't anger my stakehorse
Silver Member
I was eyeballing that cue a while ago. Looks very nice and if it hits as good as yo usay then it's a keeper. Damn, but if you ever sell let me know first!!!

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
I Saw That Review Previously ...

As I posted below I'm having Doug build me a cue ... It is discribed in a thread below ... He has been super to deal with so far I just put the deposit in the mail today ... I'm reallly looking forward to this and hope it will not be my last custom cue.