My New Kevin Varney Player

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my review of my Kevin Varney cue. This will be rather brief as I’ve only had the cue for two weeks, playing with it every day. I haven’t kept track of the time I’ve spent playing with it, I play for a while and stop and then come back and repeat, for most of the day. This is due to my physical condition.
The cue is 58 inches long, 19 ½ ounces, with two shafts, both 13 mm. The forearm and butt sleeve are Brazilian rosewood from the 1970s with a birdseye maple handle, wrapless. There is a Hoppe ring in the butt sleeve. The ½ joint is white “grained” Elforyn, a man-made material. It looks similar to ivory. The joint collars and butt cap are black Juma, another man-made material. The Hoppe ring and ferrules are traditional white Juma. The dashed ring work in the joint collars is phenolic billet. The tips are Triangles.
The rosewood is beautiful; the pictures do not do it justice. I wish you could see the cue in person. I will be at the U S Open from Wednesday through Saturday and will have it with me. If you will be at the Open and would like to see it, pm me.
I’ve been told that Elforyn joints hit similar to ivory. I’ve only hit one or two ivory jointed cues so I’m not sure about that. The hit is much softer than my Dishaw and my Dishaw is comparable to a Southwest. The feel in the butt on contact with the cue ball is not as pronounced as most of the cues I have owned but that may be partly due to my not having played with a lot of wrapless cues. I’m feeling it more now than I did two weeks ago, though. The Varney seems more forward balanced than I’m used to. Kevin says this is due to the density of the rosewood and also the brass 3/8 10 brass pin. It feels like I’m moving the cue ball more effortlessly than with my Dishaw but that may be due to “new cue syndrome” to some extent. I like the more forward balanced feel. The taper of the shafts is much more gradual than the pro taper I’m used to. I only remember one other cue that I’ve owned that had this kind of taper and I only had that cue for a few months. I like them, it will just take some getting used to. The shafts have a good tight grain and are not “white” as some people like. They have some color in them and I like them that way. I seem to make short to medium draw shots more effortlessly but need to get longer draw shots down. The long draws are probably more me than the cue. I haven’t played with 13 mm shafts in quite a while and they will take some getting used to. Long straight shots and angled shots haven’t been a problem. Practicing Straight Pool {I don’t play rotation games much anymore} I seem to get a lot of action breaking clusters. This may have to do with the taper of the shafts to some extent. Edit: I forgot to mention that the shafts, where the joint pin screws in, are beveled a bit seeming to make a much tighter fit when put together. Edit again: The shafts play quite stiff.
All told I’m very, very pleased with this cue. It has the classic “player” look to it with elegance due to the particular woods used to make it. I’m getting to like the feel and “hit” more each day I play with it. This is a damn fine example of Kevin’s work. It is simple, elegant, and playable. I’d recommend Kevin’s cues to anybody. Kevin sells cues like mine for $675.00. I got a bit of a discount because I know him. If you don’t like Kevin or his cues, please don’t respond. I don’t want to hear it.

Attachments

• Varney-1.jpg
    Varney-1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 713
Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Here is my review of my Kevin Varney cue. This will be rather brief as I’ve only had the cue for two weeks, playing with it every day. I haven’t kept track of the time I’ve spent playing with it, I play for a while and stop and then come back and repeat, for most of the day. This is due to my physical condition.
The cue is 58 inches long, 19 ½ ounces, with two shafts, both 13 mm. The forearm and butt sleeve are Brazilian rosewood from the 1970s with a birdseye maple handle, wrapless. There is a Hoppe ring in the butt sleeve. The ½ joint is white “grained” Elforyn, a man-made material. It looks similar to ivory. The joint collars and butt cap are black Juma, another man-made material. The Hoppe ring and ferrules are traditional white Juma. The dashed ring work in the joint collars is phenolic billet. The tips are Triangles.
The rosewood is beautiful; the pictures do not do it justice. I wish you could see the cue in person. I will be at the U S Open from Wednesday through Saturday and will have it with me. If you will be at the Open and would like to see it, pm me.
I’ve been told that Elforyn joints hit similar to ivory. I’ve only hit one or two ivory jointed cues so I’m not sure about that. The hit is much softer than my Dishaw and my Dishaw is comparable to a Southwest. The feel in the butt on contact with the cue ball is not as pronounced as most of the cues I have owned but that may be partly due to my not having played with a lot of wrapless cues. I’m feeling it more now than I did two weeks ago, though. The Varney seems more forward balanced than I’m used to. Kevin says this is due to the density of the rosewood and also the brass 3/8 10 brass pin. It feels like I’m moving the cue ball more effortlessly than with my Dishaw but that may be due to “new cue syndrome” to some extent. I like the more forward balanced feel. The taper of the shafts is much more gradual than the pro taper I’m used to. I only remember one other cue that I’ve owned that had this kind of taper and I only had that cue for a few months. I like them, it will just take some getting used to. The shafts have a good tight grain and are not “white” as some people like. They have some color in them and I like them that way. I seem to make short to medium draw shots more effortlessly but need to get longer draw shots down. The long draws are probably more me than the cue. I haven’t played with 13 mm shafts in quite a while and they will take some getting used to. Long straight shots and angled shots haven’t been a problem. Practicing Straight Pool {I don’t play rotation games much anymore} I seem to get a lot of action breaking clusters. This may have to do with the taper of the shafts to some extent. Edit: I forgot to mention that the shafts, where the joint pin screws in, are beveled a bit seeming to make a much tighter fit when put together.
All told I’m very, very pleased with this cue. It has the classic “player” look to it with elegance due to the particular woods used to make it. I’m getting to like the feel and “hit” more each day I play with it. This is a damn fine example of Kevin’s work. It is simple, elegant, and playable. I’d recommend Kevin’s cues to anybody. Kevin sells cues like mine for $675.00. I got a bit of a discount because I know him. If you don’t like Kevin or his cues, please don’t respond. I don’t want to hear it.

That's a GREAT review. I like forward balanced cues too. That seems like an excellent price for a nice looking, nice playing custom cue with TWO shafts.

thanks for the review.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a GREAT review. I like forward balanced cues too. That seems like an excellent price for a nice looking, nice playing custom cue with TWO shafts.

thanks for the review.

Thanks, JoeyA! I didn't mention above that the shafts play pretty stiff. If you like whippy shafts you might not like this.

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member

thanks for the review.

I have to concur with JoeyA...very well thought out and extremely useful review of a cue!

Thank you very much for taking the time to put the review up for all to utilize!

Jason

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Gambler Model

Those woods-combo'ed together make a very crisp hittting cue- with a lively feel right through your hand! Show me the wood- why use a (spliced handle) and wrap it - when he has BEM . Nice hoppe style. Mark

Muziq

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome Back...

Thank you for the great review & thanks to everyone for the kind words!:smile:

Kevin,

I'm glad you're better and were able to return to doing what you love as well as returning to AZB.

That's a beautiful cue. Perhaps someday soon I'll be able to get on your list for a new cue.

Takeem