Deno Cue Review by Craig at Full Splice Billiards

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Deano Cue Review by Craig at Full Splice Billiards

Well like I said in another thread I had a Deano Cue being sent to me for a cue review, and it arrived yesterday. First let me say that the over all look of the cue was pretty good. The construction was well engineered, obviously by someone who has the necessary skills to construct a quality cue.
The only initial construction issues that can be visually identified, is a lack of finishing touches that would include the cues finish and exterior finishing that are necessary before finish is applied. However, it is my understanding that these cues are prototypes and that future models will be completely finished to acceptable standards.

Cue Specifications:

1. Length - 58.5 inches

2. Weight - 19.2 oz

3. Wood Construction Butt - Ebony spliced into a maple forearm - Four
point Full Splice no veneers (House Cue Splice)

4. Shaft ? Maple Consonant / European Billiard Taper ( Diameter at the
tip 12.5mm - 2 inch from tip 13mm - 3.5 inch from tip 14mm - 8.5 inch
from tip 15mm - 12 inch from the tip 16.5mm - 24 inch from the tip
19.91mm - shaft collar 21.09 mm

5. Shaft Wood - The shaft wood on the cue I received for review is
certainly B-Grade. I would recommend that high quality shaft wood is
used for future models.

6. Joint - Wood Screw Standard Billiard cue. This joint is very very
strong, and stable. It has been a standard joint type used on and off
for at least 150 years. Currently this design is mainly used on
3-Cushion Billiards cues, but there is another gentleman currently
using this joint type in Missouri. It was also used for Pool cues by
Brunswick, Harvey Martin, and during the 1970's by Adam /
Helmstetter Cue Company.

7. Butt Cap / Joint material - Linen Phenolic Double Black.

After playing with this cue for approximately two hours I have made the following observations.

1. The cue has a very solid hit, although I am not comfortable with this cues
shaft taper which is too thick for me personally. I would recommend a
more standard shaft taper due to the fact that most players today and
most cues manufactured today use a shaft with a pro-taper or
something similar to one.

2. The cues weight is not equally distributed and due to this the cue
appears to be butt heavy, even without the addition of a weight bolt.
This could be corrected by incorporating the proper techniques to
balance the cue during construction.

3. While we all know that any cues hit is subjective to the person using
the cue, I liked this cues hit, and defection is kept to a minimum. This
is mainly due to the taper of the cues butt, and the shaft which are
straight tapered, along with the shaft diameter. By reducing the shaft
diameter, the over all deflection may increase.

4. Due to the design of this cue, which with its current taper is a
3-Cushion Billiards cue design you can certainly attain a great deal of
action on the cue ball with a good stroke.

To date I have had one of the better players that frequents my pool room tested this cue for around an hour. His assessment is basically the same as mine concerning playability of this cue in its current design.

Over all I liked the cue and I think the joint design and the hit it produces is very good. I also think that if Dean takes these cues into production that they will be well received if the minor adjustments to shaft taper, cue balance are corrected. In addition to the application of a good strong finish. I would currently recommend that these cues would be great for 3-Cushion Billiards as they are, with a weight reduction by coring or by using a different type of hardwood that is not as heavy in the cues butt. The reason for the weight reduction mainly concerns the fact that most 3-Cushion players prefer a cue that weights between 17 and 18.5oz.

This is my opinion, of Dean's cue; I have tried to be both fair and honest, I will post additional information when other players have had the time to test this cue.

Cue2.jpg

Cue use.jpg

Joint.jpg

Butt.jpg

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pin placement

i have not had my hands on one of these cues but from the photos the pin looks much like the pin i am using. big difference is i put the pin in the butt, not the shaft as we all have different ideas as to what is the best. anyway good luck with the deno cue, you gotta love those wood pins. chuck starkey

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean Cue Review

Thanks for the very informative review. Best one I've seen yet.

I just spoke to Dean today and he told me my cue would be arriving shortly.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas :D

Tommyd1

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
desi2960 said:
i have not had my hands on one of these cues but from the photos the pin looks much like the pin i am using. big difference is i put the pin in the butt, not the shaft as we all have different ideas as to what is the best. anyway good luck with the deno cue, you gotta love those wood pins. chuck starkey

Chuck, this is the standard way they have been building 3-Cushion cues forever, with the exception of the Schuler 3-Cushion Cues which had Rays standard Schuler joint.

I also like the design in your cues Chuck, in fact I have one here as we speak.

Thanks for the post!!!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Tommyd1 said:
Thanks for the very informative review. Best one I've seen yet.

I just spoke to Dean today and he told me my cue would be arriving shortly.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas :D

Tommyd1

Thanks Tommy, in my opinion this is the only way to do a cue review. I mean to review a cue in the following manner really means nothing.

Wow, this is the best hitting cue ever, it makes balls like a smart bomb, I can draw the ball anywhere with this cue. This is the best cue ever made!!!!:eek: :D

Do you get the idea, when someone reviews a cue, they need to give others a clear and complete assessment of what makes the cue good or bad. Reviewing a cue must be based upon facts or ones opinion is not worth giving and it is nothing but conjecture.

Thanks again Tommy

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your kind words,you stated that the cue lplays good but you prefer a longer taper,I can appreciate that I used to feel that wat too,until i began experimenting,since i put this cue out and through the toughest test any cue has ever recieved,I have not had one purchaser who did not play good even better than any other cue.One hall of fame cue builder told me he played the best he ever had with a cue tapered like mine,but had trouble selling them because of pool players preconcieved prejudice for a longer taper.another famous cue maker told me that after trying my cue,it has changed his thoughts,and he is considering changing to the thick taper because he is convinced it is a beeter playing cue.

i had more but I will respond later

thanks again,

DEAN

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
deanoc said:
Thanks for your kind words,you stated that the cue lplays good but you prefer a longer taper,I can appreciate that I used to feel that wat too,until i began experimenting,since i put this cue out and through the toughest test any cue has ever recieved,I have not had one purchaser who did not play good even better than any other cue.One hall of fame cue builder told me he played the best he ever had with a cue tapered like mine,but had trouble selling them because of pool players preconcieved prejudice for a longer taper.another famous cue maker told me that after trying my cue,it has changed his thoughts,and he is considering changing to the thick taper because he is convinced it is a beeter playing cue.

i had more but I will respond later

thanks again,

DEAN

Dean you are welcome, I tried to give the cue fair review. I still have players playing with. The shaft taper, balance, and the shaft wood quality are the only personal problems I have with this cue. This has nothing to do with a Preconceived Prejudice, however it has everything to do with personal preference, and quality. People expect to purchase what they want not what some one else thinks is good for them. I learned to play 3-Cushion billiards before I ever played pool. I currently have three 3-Cushion cues that I purchased over the years and have played with. However, for many shots in none Billiards games the taper is not comfortable to me.

Dean I am not being a Critical, I also build cues, now I am not a well known cue maker in any respect. However, I do have some experience with this subject. The problems I outlined are truly problems in my opinion and that is what a cue review is all about. Dean you can take them into consideration or disregard the information I have offered and either way I wish you well with your project.

Bassmaster

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
To the cue experts regarding the Deano cue...Whats your opinion sending the Deano cue off for a very nice glossy refinish....and having the shaft tapered some? Would it change the playing characteristics of the deano in its current form.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Bassmaster said:
To the cue experts regarding the Deano cue...Whats your opinion sending the Deano cue off for a very nice glossy refinish....and having the shaft tapered some? Would it change the playing characteristics of the deano in its current form.
Anytime you take out wood, you change the hit.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Bassmaster said:

IMO the "glossy" refinish might change the phonics/resonance and the shaft re-taper WILL change the hit/playability.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Bassmaster said:

I am doing just that with the cue in my shop. I will post some photo's when I am done, and I will also let you know if it changes the hit.

Thanks for posting!!!!

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
Anytime you take out wood, you change the hit.
Funny that's exactly what I said when someone asked me why I didn't have the shaft to my Barringer tapered. I'm getting a Deano cue soon but I'm willing to be it's pretty similar to the Barringer. I'll have to do a comparison when I get it and then give them both a good workout instead of switching back to the longer tapered cue I prefer.

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I do mind some spine, but IMHO thats to much.....a 4mm increase is quite a bit given the distance... I like the Long Tapers with very slight Spine. It still grows from the tip to the joint but the increase is very slight for the first 20", I have a cue like this and it hits very hard, Its called A Ray SCHULER..

SPINDOKTOR