Carbon Fiber at Mosconi Cup

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NEVER heard anyone say cf will improve your game especially two balls. Why the bitterness over another material?

Well you just heard me say my 1P game improved two balls, in 1P anyways. There’s a guy in Detroit that was giving me 9-7 till I started winning with my Revo. Then we started playing 8-7, I still won. We now play even. The only difference is I’m playing with a Revo.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And here's what I told y'all, grab a CF and it's game over. I'm gonna just keep on losing with my maple. Please none of y'all come to Alabama and whup me!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
People are always hyping the latest gimmick that is going to change the sports world. This is mostly for one reason it is because they or some pal has a financial intrest in the product. MONEY IN THEIR POCKET.

When your game be it Pool, Golf, Tennis, or fill in the blank, gets to a Professional Level. Then maybe the latest greatest gizmo might inprove it that fraction to make a difference in making you Suoper pro. Like Tiger Woods is in Golf:smile: BTW Tiger works real hard to stay great, as it not a magic pill he swallow before each Tournment, it's work.:smile:

There is this fellow on AZB who sells and Aiming System DVD that is told to be the key to making anyone a great player. Tournment winner, world class player.

So someone list the name, or names of buyers of the Aiming System who have improved and become TOUR PROFESSIONALS, make a fabulous living off of Pool because they now know how to aim thank to this secret aiming system.

Think I made my point about gimmicks like Bass Lures, that Catch more Fisherman, then Trophy Bass.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
likewise

Agree. But if its all in your head then its still real.
I shot with two carbon fiber shafts yesterday for the first time ever and they played really nice, I was impressed.

Having shot with Maple all my life I could fell the difference with the hit, not saying that I would play better but they felt very nice.

I'm not keen on the idea of carbon fiber shafts. However, I was very surprised to find that carbon fiber had a good feel to it. I wasn't too surprised at performance but I was very surprised at the feel.

Carbon fiber is a little less deflection than the best wooden low deflection shafts I believe. If I was competing or gambling regularly I would have to jump on the carbon fiber band wagon. It is a better mouse trap and everyone using the higher end spliced low deflection shafts will migrate to it in the next few year I believe.

The many spliced shafts have us playing with glue lines more than growth rings I believe so it is really no big jump to play with full synthetic shafts. If these came out fifty years ago for fifty bucks nobody would have touched them with a ten foot pole. However high tech is coming to pool bit by bit and like wood has disappeared from many other sports' equipment, it will largely disappear from pool.

Pool is easier to learn with a low deflection shaft. When prices stabilize the carbon fiber will be competitive with high end wood. It only makes sense to start with a shaft you can use for life that offers low deflection and radial consistency.

Hu

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I threw this out here yesterday just trying to throw a little humor around. Seems it didn't work to my thinking. Whether I'm wrong for this or if some on here are a little delicate and get butt hurt easy doesn't matter at this point.
My intentions went wrong and for that I apologize. I don't want to make enemies of any of you.
FWIW, I have tried, for maybe a total of 100 shots a Revo and I just liked my old maple better. I'm 66 and maybe to old or hard-headed to switch.
Keep in mind folks I meant no ill will, my sense of humor may be a little different, but humor was intended.
Once again, I apologize to y'all.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you just heard me say my 1P game improved two balls, in 1P anyways. There’s a guy in Detroit that was giving me 9-7 till I started winning with my Revo. Then we started playing 8-7, I still won. We now play even. The only difference is I’m playing with a Revo.
Its all in your head. More confidence. NO shaft will improve your game by itself. You see this ALL the time in golf. Player gets a new putter and putts lights-out. For a while. Its not the putter but the confidence in the player. It doesn't last very long. You played better because you felt better and was just more "into" it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It could be worse!

I threw this out here yesterday just trying to throw a little humor around. Seems it didn't work to my thinking. Whether I'm wrong for this or if some on here are a little delicate and get butt hurt easy doesn't matter at this point.
My intentions went wrong and for that I apologize. I don't want to make enemies of any of you.
FWIW, I have tried, for maybe a total of 100 shots a Revo and I just liked my old maple better. I'm 66 and maybe to old or hard-headed to switch.
Keep in mind folks I meant no ill will, my sense of humor may be a little different, but humor was intended.
Once again, I apologize to y'all.

When I first came to the internet I had to learn that a dry sense of humor didn't translate well to the internet. I danged near got lynched at a couple of sites before I learned to rein it in. A little still slips out now and then. Some got it, a few never did. I try to be very broad with my humor now but some still don't get it.

Just have fun, don't worry about it. The internet isn't life or death, it is more important than that!

Hu

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon fiber tip scuffer. Lighter to save energy for your playing arm. Make 10 more balls over a long night. Of course it has to have a huge glowing neon predator logo on it. Buy it before it's back ordered until 2022.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know how many of the 10 Mosconi cup players used carbon fiber shafts for breaking? I’ve heard that is where a CF shaft can really make a big difference for players on that level.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know how many of the 10 Mosconi cup players used carbon fiber shafts for breaking? I’ve heard that is where a CF shaft can really make a big difference for players on that level.
I wasn't looking at this but since you mention it about all i recall is cf break cues. The lightness/stiffness makes for awesome breaks. A friend has a Cuetec and it breaks super good. First time i used it i made four balls in 10b on a bar-box like it was nothing.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't looking at this but since you mention it about all i recall is cf break cues. The lightness/stiffness makes for awesome breaks. A friend has a Cuetec and it breaks super good. First time i used it i made four balls in 10b on a bar-box like it was nothing.
Yes, I’m guessing far more pro players use carbon fiber for their break shafts than they do for their playing shafts. The accuracy that high-level players need to strike that head ball precisely where they want to on the break is crucial for pro level players, and a CF shaft is extremely helpful in doing that.

I was told this firsthand from a known pro level player who was beaten in a challenge match versus another known pro level player who was using a CF shaft for breaking, who basically won the match mainly due to his break being far more consistent and effective.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I’m guessing far more pro players use carbon fiber for their break shafts than they do for their playing shafts. The accuracy that high-level players need to strike that head ball precisely where they want to on the break is crucial for pro level players, and a CF shaft is extremely helpful in doing that.

I was told this firsthand from a known pro level player who was beaten in a challenge match versus another known pro level player who was using a CF shaft for breaking, who basically won the match mainly due to his break being far more consistent and effective.
The energy transfer of the Cuetec i tried was something else. You could get same ball speed with less effort thus better control. IMO the properties of cf are even better suited to breaking than playing.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s what I remember.

SVB: play CF, break CF
Woodward: play wood, break wood
Bergman: play wood, break CF
Styer: play CF, break CF
Thorpe: play CF, break CF
Filler: play wood, break CF
Shaw: play wood, break wood
Kaci: play wood, break CF
Feijen: play wood, break wood
Kazakis: play wood, break wood

3 of them play wood, break CF. No one play CF, break wood.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things:

First I don't know if it would improve my game and I'm cheap.

Second it would require learning how the cue ball reacts off the new shaft.

They will have to rip my maple shaft from my cold dead hands - okay maybe that's a bit extreme. Bottom line I'm cheap and lazy.

MagicMcNamara

Registered
To speak from my experience using cf vs wood. I owned a couple different Bk Rush's and they were the best break cue I've ever owned and I have a really good break. I believe the stiffness and the thicker shaft play a huge part in that. I recently had some brain issues and sold all of my Predator cues because I thought I wanted to go back to wood. Huge mistake for me. I bought an old Canadian Falcon breaker and it is terrible comparatively speaking. I bought a mezz with the ignite 12.2 carbon shaft and it's a great shaft but it's too small of a diameter for me. What I've noticed from using all of the predator shafts from the 314 1,2,3 to the z2,3, the vantage and both Revos.. what it comes down to really is if you're comfortable with the balance of your cue and the diameter and taper of your shaft. That's literally all it is. The feel of your equipment. Diameter of the shaft for me from 12.5 to 12.9 with a pro taper is all I need.

Now I use the wx700 and I'm comfortable but I definitely miss the Revo 12.9. And really miss the Bk Rush

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I noticed only 3 of 10 players are using CF for their playing cue, Thorpe, Styer, and SVB. Not talking about break cues here or LD maple, only CF for playing cues.
Seems it would be a gentlemanly gesture if some of the CF proponents here on Az would enlighten these folks to the benefits of CF, to both teams, and about how it would add a ball or 2 to their game.
I've watched every match so far and can only imagine the level of play I would witness if they all used CF.
Of course they could possibly be real hard-headed like me and use only maple.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

The effects of CF at the professional level, would be difficult to quantify, IMO. :cool:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s what I remember.

SVB: play CF, break CF
Woodward: play wood, break wood
Bergman: play wood, break CF
Styer: play CF, break CF
Thorpe: play CF, break CF
Filler: play wood, break CF
Shaw: play wood, break wood
Kaci: play wood, break CF
Feijen: play wood, break wood
Kazakis: play wood, break wood

3 of them play wood, break CF. No one play CF, break wood.
The fact that all 3 of the 10 Mosconi Cup players that play with CF shafts also break with CF shafts, and of the 7 others that play with wood shafts, 3 of those 7 break with CF shafts confirms what I stated earlier - on the pro level, even many of the ones who haven't made the switch to CF shafts as their playing shafts have figured out that CF shafts do improve the accuracy and effectiveness of their break.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed only 3 of 10 players are using CF for their playing cue, Thorpe, Styer, and SVB. Not talking about break cues here or LD maple, only CF for playing cues.
Seems it would be a gentlemanly gesture if some of the CF proponents here on Az would enlighten these folks to the benefits of CF, to both teams, and about how it would add a ball or 2 to their game.
I've watched every match so far and can only imagine the level of play I would witness if they all used CF.
Of course they could possibly be real hard-headed like me and use only maple.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

If you play better with a carbon fiber shaft, then it's a good idea to use it. If you don't, then you would not. I play better with one most of the time so I tend to use the Revo more than other shafts I have.

It's a myth that any shaft will make someone play better, it's only true if that specific person can play better with some specific shaft. I can get more spin with pocketing balls better when I use the Revo so I use it. It also seems to help me shoot over a ball straighter.