A custom cue ( maker ) question

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello to all,
I want to own a “built just for me” custom cue. Don’t need it, can’t play well, but I just want one. When I could play a little, I always enjoyed that real soft hit from the older Meucci s built in the 80’s.
I am looking for a recommendation on what cuemakers can accomplish that nice soft hit and build me a traditional looking cue.
Willing to tolerate a reasonable wait time, but don’t wish to wait for years.
Doesn’t even have to be a big name builder.
Ideas?
Thx in advance
Bob

pho_choob

Be the Cueball
Hey Bob,

Most of the softness of the hit from a Meucci comes from their ferrule which is softer and slightly longer than the average ferrule. A Meucci ferrule can be purchased and given to a custom cue maker. XTC is an alternative material for a soft ferrule.

-Kenny

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Hello to all,
I want to own a “built just for me” custom cue. Don’t need it, can’t play well, but I just want one. When I could play a little, I always enjoyed that real soft hit from the older Meucci s built in the 80’s.
I am looking for a recommendation on what cuemakers can accomplish that nice soft hit and build me a traditional looking cue.
Ideas?
Thx in advance
Bob

Just order a nice wood to wood joint cue with a thermoplastic ferrule

Design can be anything you want, materials sleeved over wood don't impact the hit much

Unfortunately, this thread is going to turn into 30 different assholes just telling you "their" maker is the best out there.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just order a nice wood to wood joint cue with a thermoplastic ferrule

Design can be anything you want, materials sleeved over wood don't impact the hit much

Unfortunately, this thread is going to turn into 30 different assholes just telling you "their" maker is the best out there.

Might even have an asshole telling you what THEY think too. :thumbup:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello to all,
Ideas?
Thx in advance
Bob

Contact Kelly Peterson...aka MVPcues here at AZB, or at his website, www.MVPcues.com
He is as genuinely decent a human being as you will meet, and a damned fine Cue-Maker as well. I am in the process of my second build with KP, and I wouldn't trade the 1st one, for the world. :cool:
Good luck to you friend.
Best regards.
Joe P.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lomax will make you anything from a standard players cue to the sky's the limit and he does exceptional work. Many still consider Espiritu Cues custom though it's hard to find "original" designs from him nowadays. Just a couple of options.

The former will most likely cost you a little more than the latter, and will probably take a month or two to get depending on what shows are coming up, but I can't recommend him enough for the work he does, and if you ever get out that way, his shop is quite impressive. If you're lucky, he'll have one nearly finished or close enough to finish inside of a month.

Good luck.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe we should help you by FIRST helping you ask the right questions- So you want a custom cue made just for you- no problem. so you want a custom cue made with a softer hit- no problem. NOW- what is your budget? - there are some custom cue makers who won't do anything for less than several thousand dollars, and some who can make you a plain cue for $400 or so- so FIRST, let us know your budget. Second, do you have a cue design in mind? One with points? Inlays? Very Plain? Some cue makers are more well desired than others based on the design preference. We need more information to guide you- getting a softer hitting cue is NOT the issue here, meeting your budget and design preferences with a reputable cue maker is the goal- Right?

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Sounds like what you really want is a Meucci. I bet you can find an older one that you like. Good luck. Welcome to the AZ fam..

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a soft hit, use a soft tip. It is not clear which construction method leads to a softer hit. Maybe a lighter cue will seem softer.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talk to a respected cue-maker, any of them, but judge for yourself which one is the most accommodating
and answers your questions in a manner that not only builds your confidence but helps you decide things.

Personally, I ‘d call Jerry Rauenzahn but he isn’t making cues any longer last time I heard. But Bob Owen
Is every bit just as wonderful to work with. Both cue-makers are extremely talented and are gentlemen that
you can rely upon what they tell you. Masterful workmanship & their cues completed on time as promised.

The cue-maker will help you sort out the questions and issues about building you a custom. Right now, if I
could order a cue from anyone, the two cue-makers I’d use are Joel Hercek or Bob Owen. Joel will cost
you an arm & leg and you’ll still wait a decade to get the cue since his list is that long. Call Mr. Owen and
you’ll get you cue for a whole lot less $. Bob is amazing, very affordable and a really nice guy to work with.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If you want a soft hit, use a soft tip. It is not clear which construction method leads to a softer hit. Maybe a lighter cue will seem softer.

Skinny shaft, skinny butt, soft woods, soft collar material.
I have no clue why one would want a soft hit.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like what you really want is a Meucci.

I was going to post a separate thread topic about how Meucci cues have a unique 'buttery' hit (different than all my other cues) and are balanced really well. All 4 of my Meucci were purchased this year and have The Pro or Ultimate Weapon shafts from him with Ultraskin mediums--all have been excellent.

One of mine is a BMC that has the aluminum 3/8x10 pin versus the usual typical steel 5/16x18 joints in all his other cues, but I don't notice much of a difference.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always enjoyed that real soft hit from the older Meucci s built in the 80’s.

My all time favorite hitting cues are the old Meucci's too, Bob isn't to popular these days it seems, at least on here. I would describe the hit as soft too. I always thought it had something to do with the long taper, but I am not a cuemaker so that's probably wrong.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
My all time favorite hitting cues are the old Meucci's too, Bob isn't to popular these days it seems, at least on here. I would describe the hit as soft too. I always thought it had something to do with the long taper, but I am not a cuemaker so that's probably wrong.

Change to popular to too popular, and you're good.

It has nothing to do with the long taper. The Meucci ferrule was pretty soft, ABS plastic, and the joint was plastic as well. Softened the hit a bit. Though not as soft as other era cues, such as McDermott, which did away with the metal insert inside the shaft collar. Joss also. Many ways to alter the feel of a cue.

All the best,
WW

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Change to popular to too popular, and you're good.

Do you usually go around correcting grammar? I only commented in Dean's thread since you were talking down to someone regarding their use of the word pillory when you were wrong in your own usage.

So I'll do the opposite of you and simply acknowledge my miskate, you are correct I used "to" instead of "too", thanks for pointing it out.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Do you usually go around correcting grammar? I only commented in Dean's thread since you were talking down to someone regarding their use of the word pillory when you were wrong in your own usage.

So I'll do the opposite of you and simply acknowledge my miskate, you are correct I used "to" instead of "too", thanks for pointing it out.

Naw, just having a little fun.

The hit of a cue is based on many factors, but not so much the taper of the shaft. I didn't mention the tip, which makes a good deal of difference. Elk Master and old Champion tips make the hit much more compliant than today's harder tips. Also, getting rid of voids in the buttplate with tape against the bumper make a difference, though very few do it. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I've already pointed out some other factors, but not all.

All the best,
WW

Last edited: