Gambling With Someone That Can't Afford To Lose (long)

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I'm sure that others will have similar stories, but this is what happened tonight. Normally I feel great after winning the cash, but after thinking for the last couple hours about what transpired, I really don't feel very good about winning this time.

For the last year or so I play almost every Saturday with the same group of guys. But one of the guys just loves to play for money. The first time we ever played, he didn't miss a makable ball for over 2 hours and he won $125 from me.

But since then, it is clear that I'm the better player, and I'd say that no matter what game we play, or for what stakes, I win around 4 out of every 5 times we play. But to him, it doesn't matter, he still always asks me to play for money and insists that I play.

So when only the two of us were left, he asked to play short races to 5 playing 9 ball. This is definitely a game that he can win because of the short race and the "luck" that can occasionally happen with 9 ball. So we start really cheap. Only $5 and then $10 for each set. I have some really bad rolls and he plays solid and he wins them both.

He then suggests that we play races to 9 for $50. With a longer race, I'm feeling very confident that I will win, and I win the first set 9-3. After the second set that I also won 9-3, he needed to get money from the ATM to pay me. After paying me, he says that he's almost totally broke and that he's done.

Hearing that someone is almost totally broke, I already started feeling bad. Then he's having second thoughts, and he says that he will play one more set. I'm literally trying to convince him that he can't beat me and that I'm playing good. But he won't listen.

I specifically ask him if he has the money on him, and he says yes. So we start the third set. He is totally serious and not talking the whole set. We get to hill-hill at 8-8. He makes an extremely gutsy and difficult bank shot on the 5 ball and now he only has the 8 and 9 left. Then he overcuts and and rattles a not too difficult 8 ball and leaves me an easy out.

Then he starts quietly packing up his stuff and putting his jacket on, while I'm just standing there wondering when he plans to pay me. Awkward. Finally he says to me, "what?" And I of course respond by asking about the money. He is really not happy and it turns out, he did NOT have the $50 on him! So he heads to the ATM for a second time and then hands me the money.

He is so mad and disgusted that he storms out without saying bye or anything. I think he literally gambled every last dollar that he had! Yikes.

I'm feeling a little guilty, but should I? And what should I do in the future if he asks to gamble again? I know that $50 sets is small potatoes, but it's not for him when that's literally all the money that he has left to his name. Would you guys still play this guy for money in the future?

One thing is for sure, I'm just not the cold blooded hustler type...

_______

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....One thing is for sure, I'm just not the cold blooded hustler type...

If it bothers you, dont do it again. Pretty simple.

If your conscience is really fooking with you, lose it back to him somehow.

I was playing this kid (early 20s) at a bowling alley one time, and we were only playing cheap, $5 a game. The kid keeps losing but he wont quit, and to be honest I didnt care about the money at the moment. I get up around $150 on him, and he excuses himself to go to the bathroom. He is taking a while, and I figure he might have slipped out.

I step out of the game room, and see him at the front desk talking to the owner. I smiled to myself, and went back in to wait on him.

He comes back and wants to up the bet. Now understand this kid had zero chance of winning. Im thinking wtf, and tell him that I need to hit the head.

I go the the desk and ask what the kid was doing. The owner told me the kid said he only had like 80 bucks on him, and was trying to cash a check to cover the difference. He wouldnt cash the kids check though (this was before ATM cards were popular). I laughed and went back in to talk to the kid.

He was fervently trying to up the bet thinking he could get even. I tell him no, lets just keep playing. I start dumping to him, until he gets down to the cash he had on hand, then tell him it was time to pay up.

The look of relief on his face was pretty good.

The look of shock when I said, "OK NOW lets up the bet!" though was fookin priceless. :grin-square:

I told him I knew what happened, and explained to him the next guy he fired air at, might not be as charitable as I was being to him. Im pretty sure he got the message. :wink2:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d peel the bandaid. “Hey buddy, last time we played you seemed distraught when you lost. I don’t mind playing for some change but I don’t want to play for someone’s last dollar or match-up to a degree it stops being fun for either one of us. Is everything okay?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Not having fun...Quit playing him. Feel guilty...quit playing him.

Feel real guilty...give him his money back....I'll bet you don't feel that guilty.

The main reason that I don't feel "that" guilty to give him back his money, is because he had no problem taking my money the few times that he actually won.

In some ways, I guess that I'm just the middle man being used to satisfy his need for the thrill and excitement of action. But it's just feels weird when you're the person chosen to take someone's very last dime.

_______

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
If he has a job, and/or you see him back again the following week, he is not broke.

He does have a job. In fact, a couple of times he has fired an air barrel at me and others that I have heard about. But he always makes good eventually. His craving for action is so strong that he will in fact go out of his way to eventually pay people back, so that he can play them again in the future.

This time, he answered before we played the last set that he had the money on him. So I thought that another air barrel was coming when he didn't pay me immediately after the last set. To see him head to the ATM a second time was also shocking, because he not only lied about having the money on him, but because it became apparent that that was the last of the money that he had in the bank too!

_______

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I’d peel the bandaid. “Hey buddy, last time we played you seemed distraught when you lost. I don’t mind playing for some change but I don’t want to play for someone’s last dollar or match-up to a degree it stops being fun for either one of us. Is everything okay?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is some great advise. Thanks!

_______

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I've posted this before so I'll spare everyone and just say I beat a guy ( was actually in the middle of it ) outta @ 200 or so when his wife comes in with their baby, crying and screaming saying ( if I recall correctly, it's been 40 yrs or so ) the power had been shut off. I broke my cue and handed her the 200.

And I never played the guy again.

Case closed...

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I've posted this before so I'll spare everyone and just say I beat a guy ( was actually in the middle of it ) outta @ 200 or so when his wife comes in with their baby, crying and screaming saying ( if I recall correctly, it's been 40 yrs or so ) the power had been shut off. I broke my cue and handed her the 200.

And I never played the guy again.

Case closed...

Yeah, that is a dramatic example for sure. I think that this guy knows that if he really needed money to live on, that I would be the first person to help him out. But I doubt that he would feel comfortable asking for help.

I once bailed a teammate on leagues out of jail for his third DUI, where I was playing as his scotch doubles partner the night of his arrest. We were great partners and beat the other opponents soundly that we really shouldn't have beat on paper.

I'm really not his friend outside of leagues, but it seemed like the least that I could do.

_______

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... when his wife comes in with their baby, crying and screaming saying ( if I recall correctly, it's been 40 yrs or so ) the power had been shut off. I broke my cue and handed her the 200. ...
One of the oldest tricks in the book. :smile: From Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards:

CropperCapture[304].jpg
CropperCapture[305].png

Sometimes mothers have to do what mothers have to do. Happy Mothers' Day.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surely you just use your judgement? If your opponent can afford to lose you take his money. If he can’t you take it if, for whatever reason, taking his money is the be all and end all for you - or if there is a little more to you then maybe you don’t take it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy is a NIT and a sucker. I'd pound his brains in for anything he wanted to bet at anytime. He's a butt-hurt loser who apparently is addicted to action. I used to dream of running into guys like this.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
This guy is a NIT and a sucker. I'd pound his brains in for anything he wanted to bet at anytime. He's a butt-hurt loser who apparently is addicted to action. I used to dream of running into guys like this.

Yeah, I understand your point. There is one line of thinking that says that this guy is going to lose his money eventually to somebody, whether I play him or not, so it might as well be me who takes his money.

_______

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

You know, thinking about why he got so mad and basically stormed out without saying anything -- I think it may have been because he had the last set right in his hands, and he dogged the ball before the 9 ball. So maybe he wasn't only mad because he went broke.

_______

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I"d only feel bad after I won his cue and his shoes.

And then only if the shoes didn't fit.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
One of the oldest tricks in the book. :smile: From Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards:

View attachment 519848
View attachment 519849

Sometimes mothers have to do what mothers have to do. Happy Mothers' Day.

Oh, yeah, well aware of that move... and was then. In this case, I knew the guy fairly well ( he wasn't from our room but from one in Tampa I frequented a lot ). I also knew from just knowing him that his wife didn't "approve" of him gambling ( can't blame her... they had a pretty new baby and she was working full-time. He wasn't working at all. At least at the time it happened ). He was also making a little on the side selling pot which she REALLY disapproved of ( imagining 5-O breaking down their door at 4am and taking their kid ) so all in all, her being there was legit. I'd already beat him out of probably a grand ( at least ) over the previous couple years and he was a little pissed when i told him I was off for good. He was like... "You've got me a thousand stuck!" I was like, ummmm... deal with it, Sparky. We're done.

But at any rate, yeah... historically well-documented move. And has worked countless times, I'm sure.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
This never would've been a question if money was put-up beforehand - maybe placed on top the light?

Making someone wait for a production to occur (atm, etc) after they win is poor form, unless discussed prior. ..In this case, the guy lied about having it on him! Even tackier!