Carbon Fiber at Mosconi Cup

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed only 3 of 10 players are using CF for their playing cue, Thorpe, Styer, and SVB. Not talking about break cues here or LD maple, only CF for playing cues.
Seems it would be a gentlemanly gesture if some of the CF proponents here on Az would enlighten these folks to the benefits of CF, to both teams, and about how it would add a ball or 2 to their game.
I've watched every match so far and can only imagine the level of play I would witness if they all used CF.
Of course they could possibly be real hard-headed like me and use only maple.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s stop pretending anyone thinks a CF shaft will make the ball for you or get you in shape easier. Or if anyone does go that far, can’t we just assume they don’t know what they’re talking about and ignore them? Setting up a mock argument with them is like arguing with the village idiot in town square. It just looks like two idiots arguing to everyone else.

The truth about CF is this. If you’re into low deflection, they do it better than all wood shafts in the market unless you really special order something custom. But deflection is part of tuning your game. It’d be dumb for a veteran pro to switch at that stage of his career. But an up and comer like Tyler has his pick of equipment this early in his career. And like Tyler says, he can trust that if his one CF shaft needs a tip replaced then he can use his backup CF shaft and be certain it will play the same as his main because CF is more consistent between shafts. And finally the fact it won’t ding is nice too.

Those are all differentiating value aspects of CF. None of which will make a ball for you. But they will convince some to open their wallets for one. And some don’t need to open their wallets if they they’re happy with what they have. I know this gets a bit “us vs. them” / “tradition vs. new” but there’s no need to dwell in the exaggerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Let’s stop pretending anyone thinks a CF shaft will make the ball for you or get you in shape easier. Or if anyone does go that far, can’t we just assume they don’t know what they’re talking about and ignore them? Setting up a mock argument with them is like arguing with the village idiot in town square. It just looks like two idiots arguing to everyone else.

The truth about CF is this. If you’re into low deflection, they do it better than all wood shafts in the market unless you really special order something custom. But deflection is part of tuning your game. It’d be dumb for a veteran pro to switch at that stage of his career. But an up and comer like Tyler has his pick of equipment this early in his career. And like Tyler says, he can trust that if his one CF shaft needs a tip replaced then he can use his backup CF shaft and be certain it will play the same as his main because CF is more consistent between shafts. And finally the fact it won’t ding is nice too.

Those are all differentiating value aspects of CF. None of which will make a ball for you. But they will convince some to open their wallets for one. And some don’t need to open their wallets if they they’re happy with what they have. I know this gets a bit “us vs. them” / “tradition vs. new” but there’s no need to dwell in the exaggerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I AGREE 100%, Good Post Matt!

Trent from Toledo

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen anyone say cf shafts will make you a ball or two better. Seems to be all in your head.

But as far as maintenance and worrying about dings and warping, cf shafts win hands down.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I've never seen anyone say cf shafts will make you a ball or two better. Seems to be all in your head.

But as far as maintenance and worrying about dings and warping, cf shafts win hands down.

Agree. But if its all in your head then its still real.
I shot with two carbon fiber shafts yesterday for the first time ever and they played really nice, I was impressed.

Having shot with Maple all my life I could fell the difference with the hit, not saying that I would play better but they felt very nice.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have carbon fiber shafts and regular maple shafts and LD shafts and can play with all of them.

Some, I prefer over others, but I can adjust to any of them rather quickly.

I prefer soft tips, others prefer medium, and others prefer hard.

It doesn't mean one is any better...it just means that some people have different preferences.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed only 3 of 10 players are using CF for their playing cue, Thorpe, Styer, and SVB. Not talking about break cues here or LD maple, only CF for playing cues.
Seems it would be a gentlemanly gesture if some of the CF proponents here on Az would enlighten these folks to the benefits of CF, to both teams, and about how it would add a ball or 2 to their game.
I've watched every match so far and can only imagine the level of play I would witness if they all used CF.

I love the bitter, trolling, get-off-my-lawn post that ends in “Happy Thanksgiving.” :rolleyes:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Johnny, It's a relatively new technology in pool. Give it some time. Few thought they would get this far when introduced.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are trying too hard to win "stupidest thread of the year" !!!!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I have carbon fiber shafts and regular maple shafts and LD shafts and can play with all of them.

Some, I prefer over others, but I can adjust to any of them rather quickly.

I prefer soft tips, others prefer medium, and others prefer hard.

It doesn't mean one is any better...it just means that some people have different preferences.

Bingo...and never use what the pros use as a measuring stick. They use equipment that pays the best sponsorship money.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Well, Styer just missed a ball b/c he put inside spin on it.
Cue ball did not squirt. :D

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well the best player in the world and looks so invisible right now which is Filler and he uses a predator 314, this says a lot!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NEVER heard anyone say cf will improve your game especially two balls. Why the bitterness over another material?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess what Johnny! USA won cause they had 3 CF shafts with the 5 total number of players, and they won cause of it.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m going to disagree.

As soon as I started playing with my Revo I beat a few players that I never beat before. Then I won a big 1P tournament last year after playing with my Revo for only three months. Sure I still miss plenty of shots but the Revo is very comfortable in my hands and just seems to play better. Your results my be different