For sweaty palms, which cue wrap style?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know leather isn't for me since it will mush and look like a dead snake in a few weeks.

So either it's linen wrap or wrapless, but I can't determine which one will be the best option for a guy who sweats in the palm a lot.

My style of playing is that I hold the cue butt firm, kind of tightly when I shoot.

I am going to order a meucci and it got the option to have it coated = wrapless. Or just request a linen wrap instead, so I need help.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know leather isn't for me since it will mush and look like a dead snake in a few weeks.

So either it's linen wrap or wrapless, but I can't determine which one will be the best option for a guy who sweats in the palm a lot.

My style of playing is that I hold the cue butt firm, kind of tightly when I shoot.

I am going to order a meucci and it got the option to have it coated = wrapless. Or just request a linen wrap instead, so I need help.

thinking about it logically, of the 3 choices, linen will wick the moisture and the other 2 will not.

WARNING: The linen will not fix the other two problems you described

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use antiperspirant for you hands, and get whatever cue you prefer, instead of tailoring the cue to a problem that can be remedied.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use antiperspirant for you hands, and get whatever cue you prefer, instead of tailoring the cue to a problem that can be remedied.

Nice idea, haven't thought of it this way, do you mean like using powder on both palms? I don't know any other antiperspirant for the palm area.

But still, one or two options might be better, so I'd like to hear the opinions of people who have sweaty hands. I just want to order today just need a clear opinion if linen is better than the coated wrapless that Meucci provides

Bedwards

Registered
Drysol

A friend of mine got Drysol from the doctor and hasn't had sweaty hands since. Said its the greatest thing ever.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
My hands sweat sometimes when I play but you aren't going to hurt a leather wrap. I've had one on my cue for 4-5 years and zero issues. Maybe stop gripping the cue so tight. Loose grip will give you some air flow.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice idea, haven't thought of it this way, do you mean like using powder on both palms? I don't know any other antiperspirant for the palm area.

But still, one or two options might be better, so I'd like to hear the opinions of people who have sweaty hands. I just want to order today just need a clear opinion if linen is better than the coated wrapless that Meucci provides

Google hand antiperspirant

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't linen reach a point or saturation relatively quickly? It is thread, not shamwow. ;). I'd also have a little concern about a wet wrap on the butt over the long run.

I'd suggest wrapless, if not the medical route.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loose grip will give you some air flow.

Not my style, I like the style of Filler, Shaw, Shane, and some oldies also used to firmly grip the cue and swear by it, e.g. Rempe, Earl, and Varner...most of these pro's don't use the Filipino type of gripping, they firmly grip the cue wrap, not too tight, but not loose either, a firm grip is very nice for me too.

asianevil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't normally have sweaty palms but I've played in humid environments and I use my cue with a cork wrap. Its helped out dramatically. Though I suspect that there isn't any 100% fix for sweaty palms/hands, you'll have to find that best option and adapt to it.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
What do the Pinoys use? Parica, Luat, DO, Busty, Efren? These men grew up playing in outdoor rooms, on an island in the rain. Ck em out.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
If you have a snake skin wrap it should look like a dead snake:p
My hands sweat also when I’m in action and losing:embarrassed2:

I have also seen players use a product on their palms and they swear by it but I never asked what it was.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I'd suggest playing a while with a wrapless cue and see how it feels. Fortunately, every pool hall I've ever been to has a rack full of wrapless cues on the wall.

Obviously the pro is that it won't absorb sweat and get nasty. The con is that if your hands are really very sweaty, it could slip during a firm stroke.

I play with a wrapless cue and my hands are often fairly sweaty, but not sweaty enough to cause slippage. I don't know about your hands though.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think there’s a right answer that will affect how you play or the condition of the cue other than you being confident with what you feel comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

I played in a big championship (not US pool) with a wrapless cue with some sort of laquer finish. As I played under the lights, the heat and nerves caused my hands to sweat a bit more than usual and the cue started sticking to my grip hand. This really messed up my technique. The first thing I did when I came home was to scrape the finish off and use an oil finish instead (ash cue). This eliminated the problem, but of course may not be doable with the normal style of pool cue.

For a pool cue, I'd recommend linnen for the sweaty hands crowd. Leather is terrible and wrapless can be too, depending on the finish.

I don't usually sweat so much in normal circumstances, but if I'm going someplace hot and humid, I'm either taking an oil finish cue or linnen wrapped. If you have a wrapless cue and experience problems you can of course use some talc and dry the cue with your towel, too.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I played in a big championship (not US pool) with a wrapless cue with some sort of laquer finish. As I played under the lights, the heat and nerves caused my hands to sweat a bit more than usual and the cue started sticking to my grip hand. This really messed up my technique. The first thing I did when I came home was to scrape the finish off and use an oil finish instead (ash cue). This eliminated the problem, but of course may not be doable with the normal style of pool cue.

For a pool cue, I'd recommend linen for the sweaty hands crowd. Leather is terrible and wrapless can be too, depending on the finish.

I don't usually sweat so much in normal circumstances, but if I'm going someplace hot and humid, I'm either taking an oil finish cue or linnen wrapped. If you have a wrapless cue and experience problems you can of course use some talc and dry the cue with your towel, too.

As do the increase in crowds in weekend play for the pros. I had break cue that was perfect till the room humidity rose when I started doing well and playing on Sat. and Sun. in pro events/Reno.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrapless will be the sweatiest of all. Most linen wraps I have seen also have some sort of plasticky finish over the wrap. They will provide some texture but will not absorb sweat. You would need an unfinished linen wrap. I have one, but it's a custom.

Julian

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe gloves...

Not much of a problem here in Alaska. I often wear a glove when playing at one of the local dives during our sorry wanna be league pool night. Balls and tables so filthy I hate touching them. I have thought about wearing two gloves on bar league night.

Any way, a glove on the bridge hand seems to make any shaft feel ok. Seems like "Busty" is always powdering his hands on You Tube. That unique stroke he has makes it look like his rear hand would air dry it self. LOL

I use wrap less Diveney cues and like the looks of the beautiful wood, but many prefer the wrapped look. I am going to try shooting with a glove on each hand today on my home table. Might take a little getting used to.

Lots of elite players wear a glove and shoot awesome pool. Wish I did......