break cue weight

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to remove my weight bolt from my BK2 and try that,never tried breaking with anything lighter than a 19oz. Also I'm going to add weight to it, is 26oz the maximum legal weight?

Montana Mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as it is close in weight to what I shoot with I am fine. Not sure why I prefer that but it works for me.

hard-drive

Registered
I break with a 21 oz. McDermott that is 57" long. It had a phenolic tip but I just had a Samsara put on it to try. I like the shorter shaft to break with. It helps with my cue ball control. I play with a 59" 20 oz. Schon.

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
I'm going to remove my weight bolt from my BK2 and try that,never tried breaking with anything lighter than a 19oz. Also I'm going to add weight to it, is 26oz the maximum legal weight?

25 ounce is the legal limit.

I break with a 25 oz. sneaky. That seems to work for me, I find that the balls spread out nice in eight ball.

Horsing around the other day, I have an older McDermott that somebody cut the butt on and shortened it to only 54". It weighs around 18-19 oz. It came with the table, I'm presuming it was for tight walls.
But my hand was four inches forward than it would be versus a standard 58" cue.
I broke 9 ball with that the other day. WHOA !!! Balls went everywhere, more so than with the 25 oz. I may start packing that one with me when I play 9 ball.

Just my opinion.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
It can be debated but one thing is true. The break is only as good as the hit on the front ball. It is true that a lighter cue will develop more cue speed but in attempting to produce that speed you will miss hit the cue ball a certain percent of the time no matter who you are. A heaver cue seem to be easier to control and although it may not produce the cue ball speed may increase the number of good breaks. As in every aspect of the game it still comes down the the players skills. I would not go so much by what others think but experiment and decide what is right for you.

For a while I used a weighted 1 1/4 crutch bumper I had added a few washers to, that I just slipped on my playing cue to add about 2 ounces. I liked it. Now I just break with the same cue I play with as is. I am more interested in a good square hit on the front ball. I haven't kept any statistics but I have a feeling I make the same number of balls on average and control the cue ball better. All things being equal though I would prefer a little heavier cue if I had to make a choice.

very good post! I currently shoot with 16.3oz and i break w/ a 15.2oz cue. breaks great when i DON'T try to crush them. just good smooth speed stroke and POP goes the rack!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a PURELY theoretical world, a lighter cue results in more cue ball speed and energy.

If a compressed spring launched a heavy cue in space, the heavy cue would have greater mass, slower speed, and a kinetic energy of X, equal to the potential energy of the compressed spring.

If the same compressed spring launched a light cue in space, the light cue would have less mass, faster speed, but the SAME kinetic energy X, the potential energy of the compressed spring.

It can be shown mathematically that a light cue will transfer a higher percentage of its kinetic energy to a 6oz cue ball than the heavy cue will.

But as other posters have noted, we are playing in the real world. There could be limits to the speed your biceps could develop, regardless how light the cue is. Plus, when you consider the mass of your arm and the slight difference in weight between cues, I think the difference in CB speed will be small.

Ultimately, I agree that accuracy is the most important thing. Use whatever weight feels good and gives you the most control.

well we are on earth and dealing with humans who are not all the same

U could mechanically set up a machine that would swing the same speed with a 21 oz as a 17 ,, their are plenty of big strong guys that with in reason could swing a heavier cues the same speed as a lighter one as speed is genetic

reverse of that is the skinny guy with alot of speed but less strength would be effected by the heavier cue more

Billy.Riley

Rack'em Sausage.
Contrary to what many believe, lighter is better when choosing a break cue weight. Even though a heavier break cue feels more powerful, a more powerful break will be achieved with a cue weighing 18.5 to 19 oz. Most professional players break with a cue that is 1/2 to 1 oz lighter than their playing cue because less weight allows them to generate more cue speed, resulting in greater cue ball speed and a more powerful break.

This is a direct quote from Predator's Website. From my experience, 16 years, I would concur with them. :thumbup:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I break with the same weight as my player, 19 oz just because i'm used to it.

I agree. If 19 is most comfortable for me when I'm shooting, it only seems reasonable it would be most comfortable when breaking. The break is just another shot.

Steve

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
17oz Orange crusher, in my experience the lighter the cue is, the more speed you have, but as someone previously said if you make a lighter cue, you have higher percentage to miss-hit where you are aiming to hit on the cueball which will lead into some spin, and different direction, which will lead to a worest break, but I develop a good enough feel for my 17oz, and I'm happy with it, good speed, good break

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Heavyweight

I like a heavyweight break cue too. 23 oz Dick Neighbors custom break cue. 4 pt ebony wrapless into BEM with a wood to wood SP joint and stainless radial pin. Pro taper with 13 mm at the tip.

Ron F