CNC Inlay Machine Design

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have added a stiffener to the bottom of the extrusion and that helped some. I could add a plate to the side like Jake suggested. The issue I see here is that I would need to add to both sides. If not then the stress the tail stock causes will just move a different direction. In the end I decided that it was not enough to worry about. I just wanted Gary to be aware that it will be there. Just to sum it up, the bow comes from the tail stock applying pressure to the cue and chuck. Since the tail stock and chuck centers are up a few inches from the bed, the bed and the cue will react to this. I believe though I have not proven that the bed's ends at those two points are pushed downwards. The cue bows in the middle as the path of least resistance.

This would really only become an issue if the tail stock where too tight on the cue or part. Or if someone wanted to do an engraving the length of the part and was cutting at a depth that would show with this little bit of a bow.

Jim.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
that makes more sense Jim. I've actually thought about nixing tailstock all together and using a small chuck. This way the tenon on the the end of the blank could be grabbed if you wanted to do full length of cue or it could be moved out to the center if you want to only do the front section. This would eliminate the need for a complex adjustable steady rest. I like to "rough" hard and fast and wouldnt have to worry about pushing the cue around in the center.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
that makes more sense Jim. I've actually thought about nixing tailstock all together and using a small chuck. This way the tenon on the the end of the blank could be grabbed if you wanted to do full length of cue or it could be moved out to the center if you want to only do the front section. This would eliminate the need for a complex adjustable steady rest. I like to "rough" hard and fast and wouldnt have to worry about pushing the cue around in the center.

That's what I do. I have a taig bed and use one of Todds large head stocks. That way I can keep the head shock close to where the bit is cutting. Though I don't think I have to worry about my sine plate flexing. It's 1.25X3" ground steel and weighs about 70lbs.

Thanks Gary for sharing your build with us. It has been a pleasant read!

Larry