Defense for a change?

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today my teacher and I had 2 EPIC defensive battles to 20 points......took 4-1/2 hours!

I play, as he sais....WAY too loose, and I leave too much when I miss. So, I am learning the art of defense....separating the red and my CB from his, and shooting at a speed "just to make the hit".... It is very new to me as I like to go for the shot, but I can see how suffocating it can be to play this way.

I can't tell if modern players are doing this on video, but to me they seem to be going for the shot all the time? I guess it comes down to shoot to win, or shoot for average?What do you all think?

G.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today my teacher and I had 2 EPIC defensive battles to 20 points......took 4-1/2 hours!

I play, as he sais....WAY too loose, and I leave too much when I miss. So, I am learning the art of defense....separating the red and my CB from his, and shooting at a speed "just to make the hit".... It is very new to me as I like to go for the shot, but I can see how suffocating it can be to play this way.

I can't tell if modern players are doing this on video, but to me they seem to be going for the shot all the time? I guess it comes down to shoot to win, or shoot for average?What do you all think?

G.

Hi Gerry. Played with "your teacher" the other night for a couple hours. When we finished playing he apologized to me for leaving me such tough shots. I told him all of my shots were difficult and he told me he is using a new system where he doesn't necessarily try to make the billiard but rather focuses on where he leaves my cue ball. He still trounced me 20-6.

shayne87

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Now that sounds like a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it was fun in the fact that I'm learning new stuff, but NO.....it is NOT my style to play that way. What I am learning is if I am in a match and get way up, I can lock the game down.

I am learning from Cigar Dave Gargas from Chicago.

G.

shayne87

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it was fun in the fact that I'm learning new stuff, but NO.....it is NOT my style to play that way. What I am learning is if I am in a match and get way up, I can lock the game down.

I am learning from Cigar Dave Gargas from Chicago.

G.

If you are way up, why go into a stall? You didn't get up by stalling.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are way up, why go into a stall? You didn't get up by stalling.

I see your point, but not a stall by any means. Just a shot selection that gives more or less weight to the make % of your options.

Case in point....I was playing Dave last week and started the game strong getting up early 12 to 4 going to 20. From that point on I selected shots that might make a point ,BUT left him always tough on his toes in the weeds....like he said....I can only play you even and never catch up. Now, if I just went for all shots regardless of make %....I would be leaving a real strong player (who should beat me) easier solutions, and catch up.

It is the same as getting up in one pocket or 14.1 and playing tight to the end.

The other thing it does is force the other guy to either shoot at low % shots leaving me easier, or trying to play safe and we trade tough points to the end.

G.