Running a 5 pack in 9-ball

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice vid, that first rack you never got on wrong side of target line. Subtle, made it look easy, but it wasn’t.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is Alex? The guy in the OP or your son?

Both :thumbup::D

A.G. is the initials, was linking some of the more public tournaments he was in locally, and junior nationals for a bunch of years.
He came in 3rd in the a Mezz NJ State 10 ball championship a few months back.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both :thumbup::D

A.G. is the initials, was linking some of the more public tournaments he was in locally, and junior nationals for a bunch of years.
He came in 3rd in the a Mezz NJ State 10 ball championship a few months back.

You must be a proud pappa! Fun to watch! Be honest: Do you ever play him races to see who does household chores for the week? One of my favorite memories of my dad!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must be a proud pappa! Fun to watch! Be honest: Do you ever play him races to see who does household chores for the week? One of my favorite memories of my dad!

Not for chores hehe.

I do have a fun story about his playing. One year I decided on a whim to have him go play in the NJ State 10 Ball Championship a few years ago, he was probably 15 or 16. I think "we'll take a 3 hr drive over, hang out, he will play in his first "big" event, lose fast and we go back home". This is a straight even race, no handicaps, in my mind he just gets some experience, has fun, not expecting much since he is so young.

We get there, he loses his first match. Then wins the next 3. He is easily at least 6 years younger than the next youngest player, most players he played were 2-3 times his age. His last match was at about 10:30 PM, and he ran out of steam and lost. If he won he would have played Darrin Appleton next day on the AccuStats table. At this point I am not driving home and needed to grab a hotel room for the night.

That was the last time I underestimated his ability in winning in big tournaments LOL

AG_DeadPool

Registered
we don't do that but now that you said that I think I will be doing a lot less chores now =)

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Negative people?
So I am not allowed an opinion on what I saw?
I said nice shooting, but if you think that playing the way that was played is the same as breaking hard and taking what is there, then you haven't been around very long.

There are countless threads about breaking to leave the same patterns and the 9 ball not even moving.

And there it is. It sure didn't take long for a Debbie Downer to chime in. My goodness negative people just suck.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Negative people?
So I am not allowed an opinion on what I saw?
I said nice shooting, but if you think that playing the way that was played is the same as breaking hard and taking what is there, then you haven't been around very long.

There are countless threads about breaking to leave the same patterns and the 9 ball not even moving.

I think most of the pro tournament run outs in the last 10 years have been done with the 9 not moving and the 1 going towards one of the corners with playing cueball shape for that. Breaking hard with a template rack is not good strategy. Ever since the Sardo rack actually.

That was not "soft breaking" nor was it pattern racking. Hitting at a medium speed is the right speed for a template rack. Only reason the 9 does not move is because of a tight rack.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent

You have a solid pre shot routine which will serve you well. Are the 10 ball tourneys on 9 ft tables? I am guessing not. I think you will need to spend more time on big table matches, against better players. It can be a very exciting time for if you have the time and passion for the game. Good luck

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Beautiful shooting! I really enjoyed watching. So relaxed and comfortable with every shot. Keep shooting and look forward to the next one!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very nice shooting. I noticed that on the shot you finally missed, you had just the right speed.

Have you tried 14.1 yet? It will help you deal with clusters.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Your Pops has mentioned you before.

Nice to have the chance to see you practice.

Very impressive!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a solid pre shot routine which will serve you well. Are the 10 ball tourneys on 9 ft tables? I am guessing not. I think you will need to spend more time on big table matches, against better players. It can be a very exciting time for if you have the time and passion for the game. Good luck

95% of the time we play on 9 footers, and against good players. The favorite are Gold Crowns and Diamonds with 4.5" pockets, we both find those ideal sizes for a tougher game without being too tough to be fun. I linked to a bunch of his higher finishes but there are more, all were on 9 footers. Lucky for us in our area all the pool halls have 9 foot tables, with one we play on that uses 8 foot Diamonds.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
95% of the time we play on 9 footers, and against good players. The favorite are Gold Crowns and Diamonds with 4.5" pockets, we both find those ideal sizes for a tougher game without being too tough to be fun. I linked to a bunch of his higher finishes but there are more, all were on 9 footers. Lucky for us in our area all the pool halls have 9 foot tables, with one we play on that uses 8 foot Diamonds.

I had the pleasure playing some practice scotch doubles against you and your son with Mitch as my partner approx 6 months months ago. It was a lot of fun and very competitive.

It's nice to see Alex running a 5 pack and to me it doesn't matter too much that it was done using a template rack with medium breaks. The guy shooting still has to get position on all next balls and actually pot them. ;)

I'll go to the pool hall later today with my magic rack and I'm confident that I'm in no danger of running 5 racks. Or even 4. :eek: But I will try. :smile: