Have any road players actually been outed on AZB?

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frequently the topic comes up in discussions (here and elsewhere) of why there are so few, if any, anonymous road players traveling and making a living gambling anymore. One of the reasons often sited is that today everyone has a camera on their phone and it's too easy for someone to take a picture of a player, post it to the internet, and in minutes know the identity of the player.

That sounds plausible, but I've been a frequent AZB viewer for over four years and I've never seen a single such thread.

Have I just missed them? Or were they all in the early days of AZB a dozen or more years ago? Or was this never an AZB phenomena and was more of a thing on rec.sport.billiards back in the 90's? (but back in the 90's who had a camera in a pool hall?)

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frequently the topic comes up in discussions (here and elsewhere) of why there are so few, if any, anonymous road players traveling and making a living gambling anymore. One of the reasons often sited is that today everyone has a camera on their phone and it's too easy for someone to take a picture of a player, post it to the internet, and in minutes know the identity of the player.

That sounds plausible, but I've been a frequent AZB viewer for over four years and I've never seen a single such thread.

Have I just missed them? Or were they all in the early days of AZB a dozen or more years ago? Or was this never an AZB phenomena and was more of a thing on rec.sport.billiards back in the 90's? (but back in the 90's who had a camera in a pool hall?)

I've seen a few but not in the last several years. It seemed like they all kind of started out with "This guy was in our pool room and he looked like.... anyone know who he is?" Sometimes with a picture but usually just a description.

Then usually the OP got roundly called out for being a poolroom detective etc... But also usually someone posted who it was.

I think the reason we don't have these threads as much anymore is partly that nobody is really anonymous anymore so there aren't any notable road players that are unknown. You can just do a google image search and find almost anyone who plays pool.
The other part of the equation is that there are a lot of people in Facebook pool groups now and that type of question is probably more convenient to post to a Facebook group.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to add. The last one I remember was last year or so before the Mezz West States tour where there were threads wondering who the Russian guy in Sacramento was. It was Vilmos. There might have been one about Edgy as well. He was here in my area and I know a lot of people were curious but the Filipinos here knew who he was so everyone was filled in pretty quick.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
...and one of the monsters was this big dude who never spoke...

That certainly wasn't New York, who talked a lot....as New Yorkers do.

...unlike his road partner Arizona, who ain't sayin' much at all now.

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite a few years ago it there was a picture with Gary Abood winning a tournament on AZ...he had a bag over his head.....that was sort of funny.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I don't know about road players being "outed" per se.
But I know of a couple people in "far from home" games having their action knocked way before I knew AZB even existed, back on the billiards digest forums.
I'm sure there might be a couple of knocks on RSB as well.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• gary abood mask.jpg
    gary abood mask.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,326

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Long ago there were a couple that were Id'd online, but then the people who did so were insulted by others for "knocking" their action and most people stopped doing it.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite a few years ago it there was a picture with Gary Abood winning a tournament on AZ...he had a bag over his head.....that was sort of funny.

Gary broke Dundalk when he was here. Then he broke his host and rolled out in the middle of the night.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, let's out them so they have to find honest work :grin-square:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One year at the Super Billiards Expo when it was held in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, Keith was having a good run on the action table, winning 20-some games in a row on three different occasions. It was sweet, and we came home with 15 large.

In the middle of this fiasco at the action table, in walks a young blond-haired kid. Keith comes over to me and says, "Do you see that blond kid over there? That's Jesse Bowman. He's the best bar table player in the country right now. Bet on him every time he's at the table." As a professional courtesy, Keith quit playing at the action table because he knew Jesse was on the road and a long way from home.

I managed to get a picture of the kid, and I disguised him a bit when I posted about the action table that year. :cool:

Attachments

• jesse bowman with glasses[1].JPG
    jesse bowman with glasses[1].JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 544