Why are Viking cues so often overlooked?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've played with a few Vikings but never really gave them a good chance, but yesterday I got to play an extended session with one, and I really liked it. I guess my previous tries have been with cues that didn't have my preferred specs? It was a rather plain cue, with a special ordered slim butt, and a Vicore shaft turned down to about 12.5. Everything about the cue was nice, understated and it played brilliantly. I could easily have played wiht this rather than my Mezz and not be worse off, even though the shaft is a bit different. It doesn't hit like the Mezz, but instead has a very pleasant "pop" to the hit. My Mezz has been modified with harder ferrules and hits like a ton of bricks! I don't really like the joint pin on the Viking, that's really my only gripe. Otherwise the specs were perfectly to my liking, and the balance and overall feel was just great. I didn't really think about the cue too much,and just played. That's a good sign, to me.

For very reasonable money, I think it's a great playing cue. Got a really nice 60 ball run and crushed the 14.1 ghost on a very stingy and difficult playing table, and I was in control the whole time. The cue just did what I expected. It's a quality cue made in the US, and apart from some of the designs with "mother of pearl" in various colours (that I really hate) they make some good looking cues as well. They deserve more praise than they get. I mean after this I'd definitely recommend a low end Vicore over a G-core from McDermott for instance and I actually like those. I also like that Viking has special slim butt cues, which is something many players prefer. If you haven't tried a slimmer butt cue, I recommend that you do! You may like it!

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I passed on a warped shaft viking in an antique shop.

I kick myself a little everytime I hear or see the word Viking.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Identity crisis:

I think they change too much over the years.

Meucci, Schon, and Joss stay fundamentally the same, and they maintain their followings.

Also, all that pearlescent plastic can be a bit much.

That may be true. I like their traditional designs without the "mother of toilet seat". They have some nice plain jane cues also along with some modern twists on the traditional, if you like that. I think the Vicore is a very underrated shaft, as far as "not extreme" ld shafts are concerned.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Their stupid quick release joint also hurt them when the aftermarket shaft wave was building-up and cresting. I don't think people knew that they were compatible with 5/16x18 shafts.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Their stupid quick release joint also hurt them when the aftermarket shaft wave was building-up and cresting. I don't think people knew that they were compatible with 5/16x18 shafts.

I actually never knew that you could use standard 5/16*18 shafts on them! That's a big plus, I think.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Viking Cues

One of the last gasps of billiards Americana back in the 70's. That's why I wish I would had bought that Viking cue in the antique store. W what little pool cue knowledge I had at that time years ago, I still recognized the name.

Today's Viking, idk, I'm not shopping for new cues. I've seen the ads here and I'm betting they put out a good mass production cue.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
The early 80's three point cues were bad a$$. I bought one in Denver and love it, the quality is not perfect but the cue has a place in my collection. It is the cue that my oldest daughter gets as soon as she graduates college.

WIBHOF

Registered
I love Viking! They are truly one of the top cue makers still around. A change in ownership has them heading in a great direction. Top of the line for sure

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife had one of those pearl inlay Vikings she won at an APA tournament for being top woman finisher close to 20 years ago. I tried it a few times and it did not have a very good hit, was stiff and dead feeling. Sadly that cue along with my first custom cue were stolen during a league night. My feelings with Viking may be tainted due to that, I just think of the theft when I hear their name LOL

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they play bad and that plastic mother of pearl looking stuff they put in a lot of cues just isn’t attractive

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The early 80's three point cues were bad a$$. I bought one in Denver and love it, the quality is not perfect but the cue has a place in my collection. It is the cue that my oldest daughter gets as soon as she graduates college.

As punishment...

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my take.

A Viking was my first cue when I was just getting into pool and didn't know anything about anything. I knew I didn't want a cheap import so I picked one of the less expensive Viking models. This was probably 2001 or so. It was a good cue, stayed relatively straight over 15 years of less than ideal storage conditions (though it was always in a Porper case....pretty sure it lived a year or two in a non-climate controlled storage unit in Iowa...so think 0-100* over the course of a year).

Today i still think they make a good quality cue.

My personal issue with them is they tend to be fairly butt heavy with a light overall weight and a fairly large weight bolt (at least in the ones I've tried) while I prefer a forward balanced cue myself. They also make a lot of designs with plastic inlays which doesn't help their cause as being viewed as a quality cue mfg. to the people who spend time on the forums here as most people here tend towards higher end and more traditional designs. But on some of their simpler all wood designs they can actually be very nice.

They are local to me here in Madison, WI and tons of people on my pool league play with them. There are some very strong players in this area who play excellent pool with their Viking cues!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The two reasons that I believe Viking cues never got more popular have both already been mentioned.

1. They are UGLY. Just about every damn one of them ever made. And not just a little ugly, but fugly ugly. Those atrocious Filipino cues with the busy designs and the snake skin wraps almost look like works of art in comparison. Mostly it is all the plastic and "pearlerscent" crap that Viking used but their designs were generally pretty horrible too. I think a large portion of people are just thoroughly turned off by their looks.

2. All the plastic made them appear to be very cheap quality. They weren't for the most part, but they sure gave off that impression and I think it scared a lot of people away.

Put out a product that is ugly as sin and appears to be cheap quality and you are going to have an uphill battle.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Attachments

• 5138AD18-5172-4570-BDCF-AFF2E2479CA1.jpeg
    5138AD18-5172-4570-BDCF-AFF2E2479CA1.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You can’t. That’s misinformation. The blind section above the threads is slightly larger than a standard 5/16-18 pin. The threads either need to be bored slightly, or drilled out fractionally larger.

Thanks, I guess I should have known that was too good to be true.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The two reasons that I believe Viking cues never got more popular have both already been mentioned.

1. They are UGLY. Just about every damn one of them ever made. And not just a little ugly, but fugly ugly. Those atrocious Filipino cues with the busy designs and the snake skin wraps almost look like works of art in comparison. Mostly it is all the plastic and "pearlerscent" crap that Viking used but their designs were generally pretty horrible too. I think a large portion of people are just thoroughly turned off by their looks.

2. All the plastic made them appear to be very cheap quality. They weren't for the most part, but they sure gave off that impression and I think it scared a lot of people away.

Put out a product that is ugly as sin and appears to be cheap quality and you are going to have an uphill battle.

Some of the designs are not all that bad, the choice of materials just ruins them, IMO. That pearlescent plastic belongs on toilet seats in trashy caravans, and nowhere else!
Also the big floating point/arrow inlays are just not good looking with any kind of material.

Anyway, some people must love the fake mother of pearl and malachite since tons of American cues, and quite a few Filipino cues are rife with the stuff. Peachauer, Vikings and Schmelke cues are especially fond of it. Meucci is the most plasticky of all, but they are at least slightly better at using it, even though they still look trashy.

They should just take their medicine and hire an actual designer. There must be some student from a design school that could really spruce them up. Have them study the most beautiful Balabushka cues and put their own spin on it for instance, getting the right proportions between buttcap, joint and decorative rings. Maybe they could completely flip it around somehow...It wouldn't have to be expensive and could really turn their luck around. Good design doesn't need to be intricate or flashy, even simple changes could make a big difference.

They do have some good looking, simple designs, but you must look for them in a sea of pearlescent plastic, sadly.